2020 5* F Greg Brown (Texas)

aucanucktiger

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

It be nice if the G League would have shown it’s hand earlier. NBA and Gatorade partnering to damage college hoops.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

It be nice if the G League would have shown it’s hand earlier. NBA and Gatorade partnering to damage college hoops.

I read they did work with them to figure out an alternative to the one and done, so maybe this is getback. 

Maybe I’m petty but if I’m Brown I’m pissed my offer is 100k less than Green’s. Sorry but Green isn’t $100k better than Brown. Based off the $500k that’s implying he’s 20% more valuable than Brown? Passss

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Maybe I’m petty but if I’m Brown I’m pissed my offer is 100k less than Green’s. Sorry but Green isn’t $100k better than Brown. Based off the $500k that’s implying he’s 20% more valuable than Brown? Passss

I guess if you phrased it like this instead of "you're getting 400K compared to zero in college", he might consider his options

Best thing that can happen - these kids go G League and then a few of them don't get drafted until round 2.

Does it make anyone feel better that we’re probably going to finish 3rd for Brown instead of 2nd? 🤣

Welcome to big boy basketball recruiting Auburn.  Get used to it guys.  This is part of being an elite program.   

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Does it make anyone feel better that we’re probably going to finish 3rd for Brown instead of 2nd?

That did not ease the sting of the Green decision for me.

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Welcome to big boy basketball recruiting Auburn.  Get used to it guys.  This is part of being an elite program.

Is this one of those times you want to hop in a time machine and tell mid-aughts Auburn hoops fans that in 2020 we'll finish in the top 3 for two different top-10 recruits, with two top-50ish guys already on board?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That did not ease the sting of the Green decision for me.

Is this one of those times you want to hop in a time machine and tell mid-aughts Auburn hoops fans that in 2020 we'll finish in the top 3 for two different top-10 recruits, with two top-50ish guys already on board?

That’s right!  I’m so happy to miss out on a few 5* guys we had a legit chance at, because it’s a sign that we are in SUCH A BETTER PLACE than we’ve ever been before in basketball!!!!!

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That’s right!  I’m so happy to miss out on a few 5* guys we had a legit chance at, because it’s a sign that we are in SUCH A BETTER PLACE than we’ve ever been before in basketball!!!!!

Amen, Preach. This is where I feel like we've been in football the last 10 years, too. 

It's interesting to see in both cases how quickly the fan base adjusts the conversation. And I think that's good. It's good that fans aren't complacent and, once seeing what's possible, ratchet up the expectations. Either we demand excellence or we don't. I'm glad we can afford to now.

I see why the hardcore fans who have been very close to all this for a long time aren't feeling any moral victory warm fuzzies, but as an ign'ant casual, I felt like even still being in the conversation this late was playing with house money. And, evidently it was. For us and for Memphis, too. And maybe Texas. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

College basketball

I guess...

I’m pretty agnostic on whether or not that’s actually true. I guess my bigger question is ‘why is that important?’ Shouldn’t our primary concern be what’s best for the kids? 

So much of this thread in the last day has gone on and on about “three year requirements” and “earlier signing dates” and an general focus on what’s what’s “best for college basketball”. Now we’re getting to the point of hoping that some kid’s draft stock falls because he chose to make money with his abilities? Seems kinda perverse to me. 

I’m as bummed as anyone that we won’t get to see Green in an Auburn jersey, but I’m ecstatic for him that he’s about to make a life changing amount of money for himself and his family. I’m also ecstatic that this gets us closer to getting rid of the NBA’s stupid and collusive age restrictions.

I sincerely hope that Green and the rest of these G-league kids have a terrific year that leads to a terrific career. I couldn’t care less if that’s “good” or “bad” for college basketball. 

12 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

I guess...

I’m pretty agnostic on whether or not that’s actually true. I guess my bigger question is ‘why is that important?’ Shouldn’t our primary concern be what’s best for the kids? 

So much of this thread in the last day has gone on and on about “three year requirements” and “earlier signing dates” and an general focus on what’s what’s “best for college basketball”. Now we’re getting to the point of hoping that some kid’s draft stock falls because he chose to make money with his abilities? Seems kinda perverse to me. 

I’m as bummed as anyone that we won’t get to see Green in an Auburn jersey, but I’m ecstatic for him that he’s about to make a life changing amount of money for himself and his family. I’m also ecstatic that this gets us closer to getting rid of the NBA’s stupid and collusive age restrictions.

I sincerely hope that Green and the rest of these G-league kids have a terrific year that leads to a terrific career. I couldn’t care less if that’s “good” or “bad” for college basketball. 

Thanks for this  post.  Green would have chosen Memphis over Auburn if it had not been for the chance to make a living playing the game he loves.  How many of us wouldn't choose to do the same? To make a real living that can definitely change your lifee?  That is the American Way after all, isn't it?

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Does it make anyone feel better that we’re probably going to finish 3rd for Brown instead of 2nd? 🤣

you hit it on the head. We have to unlearn what we have known to be the norm in the past of being in on mostly 3* talent in bball, and realize we have gone to the next level in recruiting and are swimming with the big sharks now. We are now competing with the blue bloods for 4&5* talent on a regular basis.

7 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Third? I am assuming you mean Texas, G League, Auburn?

I can handle that when the 5* is from Texas, and his parents went to Texas and he really likes Texas' HC.

And the G League could grab anyone, even the Blue Bloods, if the money was right.

So, I can live with that.

Same as I can live w/ 5* players from NJ or Calif who have us in their final 2 or 3 from the ends of the USA. Now if these kids were from GA, AL, or Southeast and we couldn't pull our share in, then I would feel snakebit.

As long as we get our share...(The Coopers, The Okekes, The Okoros, etc..) And we are...

17 hours ago, Beaker said:

Best thing that can happen - these kids go G League and then a few of them don't get drafted until round 2.

Not sure how long the G League will be doing this. The NBA is expected to let high schoolers go pro immediately in a year or 2.

An insider on The Bunker said Greg got a $400,000 offer on the table from the G-League, with plus potential shoe deal endorsement.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:16 PM, steeleagle said:

As a matter of fact..I would change the final College basketball signing period almost right after HS basketball is over, so these players have to make quicker decisions. Waiting till mid April makes it easier for them to go G League, NBL than for colleges to find any left over college transfers to recruit...

Doesn’t matter when signing day is.  They can still bolt from college before stepping on campus during the April May timeframe the pros are slinging offers.

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

College basketball doesn't need high profile recruits to be interesting. A good argument can be made that the game would be better without the high profiles & then having the rest stay longer thus making the game play better,

Reason I wish there was a “2 and done” type situation similar to college baseball.  It would give the pros a chance to see these kids develop and mature.

oh well ... it seems there are slightly more kids steering Away from pro baseball out of high school than used to be.  Hope this is a slight bump in the road and these kids will play a couple years at college.  

9 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It sounds like you're gloating. Not good.

40 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Reason I wish there was a “2 and done” type situation similar to college baseball.  It would give the pros a chance to see these kids develop and mature.

They can develop them as good & in some ways better as colleges can. Once kids turn 18 & have finished high school they should be able to turn pro.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

They can develop them as good & in some ways better as colleges can. Once kids turn 18 & have finished high school they should be able to turn pro.

Yep. Probably no limits on practice time.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I’m not talking about basketball.  These kids are freak basketball athletes ... but they are kids.  There are exceptions, but the “protection” of a college program will allow them to grow up another couple years.  I’d put money that Bruce Pearl would have cared more for Jalen Green and Greg Brown as a person than the nba, the g-league, the endorsers, the agents, etc...

the parents may want the best for their children and ultimately are the best guides, but I’d assume all this is new to the vast majority of them ... CBP has the resources of Auburn to guide these kids in addition to himself.

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If we don't get Greg Brown and we lost out on Jalen, who else is coach Pearl going after or is Auburn done?

Not done & will find out who we go for after Brown chooses the G League.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m not talking about basketball.  These kids are freak basketball athletes ... but they are kids.  There are exceptions, but the “protection” of a college program will allow them to grow up another couple years.

Don't know if they have but if they want NBA can put great infrastructure around the kids to protect them as well.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

CBP has the resources of Auburn to guide these kids

The NBA & the organization can too if they so choose.

Archived