Bruce signed new five year deal

Gene Loblaw

Auburn athletic director Allen Greene statement on awarding Bruce Pearl a 5-year contact extension: ‘Our return on investment is undeniable, and supporting this program...will continue to be a priority. We look forward to having Bruce as the head coach for many years to come.’

ROI is understatement of the year!!!

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn athletic director Allen Greene statement on awarding Bruce Pearl a 5-year contact extension: ‘Our return on investment is undeniable, and supporting this program...will continue to be a priority. We look forward to having Bruce as the head coach for many years to come.’

ROI is understatement of the year!!!

I’d love to see thr numbers on ticket sales, concessions, and merchandise sales during the Barbee era vs what it was the past two years

Glad this was taken care of and we can look forward to many years of Bruce coaching this bball team. We might not be able to get final fours every year but i like our chances of being at the top of the SEC as long as Pearl is our coach. And plus its just fun to watch his teams play and i enjoy having this guy represent the university that i love. War Eagle coach Pearl!!

This will be the best news Auburn gets until NEXT basketball season!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go AG locking up Bruce Pearl!!!!!! That is what I am talking about!!!!! WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL!!!!!!!!!! Still under paid though. Leath should be ashamed of himself for paying the worst coach of the big 3 sports at Auburn that ridiculous salary. SMH. Terrible. O WELL!!!!! That nightmare is almost over. Only 8 more months of that mess. For now I will just enjoy us locking BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE up. 

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 71 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — Bruce Pearl and Auburn have agreed to a new, five-year deal worth $19.5 million to keep him as the head coach through the 2023-24 season.

The move was made Friday, less than one week after the Tigers' first appearance in the Final Four.

He will be paid $3.8 million per year, with the salary escalating $125,000 each year after the 2019-20 season, according to a source. His salary will reach $4.3 million in the final season (2023-24) of the contract. The university and Pearl also showed a strong connection to stay together, as they agreed to a hefty buyout structure that begins at $8 million the first year. It decreases to $6 million in Year 2 and then to $4 million in Year 3 and $2 million in Year 4, the source tells Auburn Undercover.

he contract is set to make Pearl the third-highest paid coach in the SEC, tying him with newly-hired Texas A&M coach Buzz Williams. He stands behind Kentucky's John Calipari ($9.2 million) and Tennessee's Rick Barnes, who received a pay raise to $4.7 million after flirting with a job offer from UCLA this week.

“Under Bruce‘s leadership, our basketball program has reached new heights. Our young men continue to thrive in the classroom and on the court. We’ve experienced many firsts, including a well-documented run to the Final Four and a pair of SEC titles,” Auburn athletics director Allen Greenesaid in a statement. “Bruce and his wife Brandy have been very active within the university and the Auburn community and we are appreciative of all of their efforts. Our return on investment is undeniable, and supporting this program from A-to-Z will continue to be a priority. Simply stated, we look forward to having Bruce as the head coach of our basketball program for many years to come.”

Pearl was paid $2.6 million base salary during the 2018-19 season, which does not include $450,000 in bonuses due to him at the end of May after he led the Tigers to the Final Four while achieving other benchmark bonuses in his previous contract. Some bonuses will not be included in his new contract, such as reaching 22 wins, because of the increased expectations since Pearl took over a program that had not reached the NCAA Tournament in more than a decade, a source tells Auburn Undercover.

Pearl has also been provided a larger salary pool for his assistant coaches, with the total for assistants increasing by $500,000, a source said. That figure is not included in Pearl's new contract, but it has been discussed and agreed upon the two parties.

Auburn has won 56 games over the last two seasons, including a school-record 30 victories and a trip to the Final Four this season. The Tigers lost 63-62 to eventual national champion Virginia on a controversial no-call (double dribble) and foul call on Samir Doughty on Virginia shooter Kyle Guy's 3-point shot with 0.6 seconds remaining.

Auburn won the program's second SEC Tournament championship in March, which followed up the program's third ever SEC regular-season championship. Pearl is the first coach at Auburn to amass 100 wins in his first five seasons at the helm.

“I would like to thank (Auburn University) president (Steven) Leath, Allen Greene and the Board of Trustees for their belief. The investment in me and my staff demonstrates their support of the men’s basketball program moving forward. I’m happy and blessed to be at Auburn and live in this wonderful community,” Pearl said.

Bruce Pearl's salary

2019-20: $3.8 million
2020-21: $3.925 million
2021-22: $4.05 million
2022-23: $4.175 million
2023-24: $4.3 million

2019-20 SEC basketball salaries

John Calipari, Kentucky: $9.2 million
Rick Barnes, Tennessee: $4.7 million
Bruce Pearl, Auburn: $3.8 million
Buzz Williams, Texas A&M: $3.8 million
Tom Crean, Georgia: $3.2 million
Frank Martin, South Carolina: $3 million
Cuonzo Martin, Missouri: $2.9 million
Kermit Davis, $2.85 million
Mike White, Florida: $2.7 million
Eric Musselman, Arkansas: $2.5 million
Will Wade, LSU*: $2.5 million
Nate Oats, Alabama: $2.462 million
Ben Howland, Mississippi State: $2.2 million
Jerry Stackhouse, Vanderbilt: ???

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

That contract will look like a total bargain in 5 years. Bruce wants to stay and build that legacy at AU. We are too lucky. Legggggoooooo 

Once Rick Barnes regresses to his mean that he has set the standard for during his whole career his contract will look asinine and Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce's will look like the biggest bargain in all of college basketball baby!!!!!!

3:09

Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours

An absolute steal at this price. For once AU has good new players to replace talented players leaving. These are the glory days for AU Basketball.

32 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Great news.  First question.  What about the assistants?  Any news?

500k bump in pay for the assistant coaches salary pool. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Once Rick Barnes regresses to his mean that he has set the standard for during his whole career his contract will look asinine and Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce's will look like the biggest bargain in all of college basketball baby!!!!!!

Yep.  We look like the Braves front office from this year with the bargain deals they have been dealing.  But no room for thread derailing. WE GOT BRUCE PEARL!!!! WOOOOO!

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

How does the buyout stack up against other college coaches' buyouts? 

Idk what Rick Barnes was before this latest, but his was 5 mil and that snagged UCLA, from what was reported.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How does the buyout stack up against other college coaches' buyouts? 

According to USA Today, Roy Williams buyout is 8.8 mil, Izzo 5.3 mil

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

500k bump in pay for the assistant coaches salary pool. 

Be interesting to know if our assistants' salaries still rank 13th in the conference.

#3 highest pay for one of the best man in the country!   Wish we can keep him in town till he starts to pursue AL senator seat :bananadance: 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This will be the best news Auburn gets until NEXT basketball season!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go AG locking up Bruce Pearl!!!!!! That is what I am talking about!!!!! WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL!!!!!!!!!! Still under paid though. Leath should be ashamed of himself for paying the worst coach of the big 3 sports at Auburn that ridiculous salary. SMH. Terrible. O WELL!!!!! That nightmare is almost over. Only 8 more months of that mess. For now I will just enjoy us locking BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE up. 

I fear for your mental health. You are letting Gus, or your hatred for him, invade every post you make. Suppose Gus's football team wins a minimum of 9 games next year and he is given a 15 year extension worth 12 mill a year. What then?

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I fear for your mental health. You are letting Gus, or your hatred for him, invade every post you make. Suppose Gus's football team wins a minimum of 9 games next year and he is given a 15 year extension worth 12 mill a year. What then?

I will blame you like I always do for anything Arthur Gustavo Malzahn III related.

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Yep.  We look like the Braves front office from this year with the bargain deals they have been dealing.  But no room for thread derailing. WE GOT BRUCE PEARL!!!! WOOOOO!

FINALLY I get to experience in real time what it is like to have a GREAT coach at AU in a major sport!!!!!!!!!! BRUCE PEARL FOREVER!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Archived