Softball vs South Carolina Game 2

I expect this to be a very difficult series for us as we appear to be short handed in the pitching area.  We need some good innings from Lexie and I would love to see her get her groove back.  SC seems to have a pitching staff of four.  Raley (ERA 2.43) and Drotar (ERA 3.08) are primary, both having pitched nearly 80 innings each.  Heath (2.48) and Oh (4.11) have each pithed about 50 innings.  Suspect we see Drotar today.   Both Drotar and Heath appear in the batting order.  Last night the bottom half of their order did a lot of damage,  accounting for 6 of their 11 hits.  The top 5 in their batting order have averages of .305 - .387.  We got help from the 3 errors in the first game.  Our hitting may need to carry the day for this one.

Too bad Bilodeau decided to jump ship - she would certainly be getting some starts.  I don't think she's getting any in Tallahassee.  Will be interesting to see whom we start today - Harris or Handley.  Hate to think we'd have to negotiate the rest of the schedule with just two pitchers; but that's basically what we've done with Carlson and Martin the past couple of years.  I noticed in the box score - neither team walked a batter last night.  SC's fielding cost them that game.  Seems most of the really dominant pitchers have disappeared from the SEC; Carlson, Osorio, Hoover, Walljasper all graduated; now Martin is injured and Barnhill doesn't seem to be as effective as she was in the past.  Florida isn't hitting much behind her, either.

So I'm with you Slot.  Need the bats to step up.  McCrackin has been going through a difficult period.  She hit some hard balls at UT, but the outfielders were always there.  Time for her luck to turn.  I'll be on the road today, and will miss today's game.  Should be able to catch the one tomorrow, then I'll be on Dauphin Island for the next two weekends.  The internet is iffy down there, so don't know what I'll be able to see with Kentucky and Florida.

McCrackin had a nice drive to left center last night that was caught at the track. I think she’s a bit snake bitten right now. The hits will come.

41 minutes ago, TD1 said:

Ashlee will be pitching today.

only in relief.  Chardonnay Harris is in the circle

strike out ends the top 1st.  Harris put herself in trouble walking the bases loaded then a gapper that scores 3.   Can't give them free base runners.

This one is gonna be over early at this rate....looking to get run-ruled I'm afraid. 

9-0 USC B3.  Podany makes a good catch on the warning track.  I thought she got burned and turned the wrong way but she recovered for out 3.  

I'm out.  Seen enough of this one.  Actually, it has stopped raining and I have work to do outside before A Day Game. Hope they fight back into it. 

Auburn run-ruled 10-1.....bad day of softball....so I guess fans will be headed to JHS for the spring game. Hope the weather is cooperative.  

Hate to sound pessimistic but I expect South Carolina to win the series.  At this point their hitters are feeling confident that they can hit our pitching.  They appear to  have a  deeper pitching staff.  Hope I am wrong.  Maybe our bats come to life tomorrow.  If I looked at the stats from todays game correctly we did not strike out a single time in our 19 plate appearances nor did we have any base on balls.....pop ups and easy ground ball outs.  SC had 22 plate appearances and had 6 walks to go with their 7 hits and actually struck out 5 times.  Also that one hit by pitch.  

We basically stole that game last night on SC's errors.  Odds against getting another one like that.  Hitters need to step up, because our pitchers need run support.  Two games in a row USC walks nobody - excellent pitching.  Oh well, for a brief moment in time we were leading the league.  uat and LSU both won today, though.  South Carolina was swept at home by Kentucky in their first SEC series, then lost the next series to Arkansas.  They split two with Ole Miss, and lost the series with LSU.  The only series they've won is the one against uat.  ???  Harris's pitching mystifies.   One game she's brilliant, the next she couldn't get a sixth grader out.  I think the series is still up for grabs, so let's woman up and go get it.

11 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We basically stole that game last night on SC's errors.  Odds against getting another one like that.  Hitters need to step up, because our pitchers need run support.  Two games in a row USC walks nobody - excellent pitching.  Oh well, for a brief moment in time we were leading the league.  uat and LSU both won today, though.  South Carolina was swept at home by Kentucky in their first SEC series, then lost the next series to Arkansas.  They split two with Ole Miss, and lost the series with LSU.  The only series they've won is the one against uat.  ???  Harris's pitching mystifies.   One game she's brilliant, the next she couldn't get a sixth grader out.  I think the series is still up for grabs, so let's woman up and go get it.

Carolina was a #9 national seed in last year’s NCAA tournament (by far their best year in 2 decades). This year, until the Bama series, has been a disappointment. I’m hoping they haven’t turned a corner. 

We lost the series today.  What has happened to our hitting?  I knew there would be a drop off in conference play but not this bad.  I think our pitchers would have more confidence if they knew the offense would be there to pick them up.  I'm really disappointed at this point.  

Lets get it back together Ladies and play Auburn Softball.  

45 minutes ago, around4ever said:

We lost the series today.  What has happened to our hitting?  I knew there would be a drop off in conference play but not this bad.  I think our pitchers would have more confidence if they knew the offense would be there to pick them up.  I'm really disappointed at this point.  

Lets get it back together Ladies and play Auburn Softball.  

Last 2 home series we have def dropped a huge opportunity losing 2 of 3 to Georgia and South Carolina. It makes it even more frustrating when we go on the road and take 2 of 3 from Rocky top a top 10 team at the time. 

Archived