Happy Gameday! A Day game thread!

AUBwins

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well the best man is subjective for a lot of reasons in this offense as there is no clear cookie cutter winner who does two thing great. Bo to me is has a great presence in the pocket and has the base ball. Nix is a big figure, very powerful arm and by far the best athlete out of the bunch. MW is a little more even keel and it probably has to do with maturity . So from a non bias standpoint, how do you choose who is the best ?

well going by the bolded part it looks like one of the QB's does 2 things well lol. But I know what you meant lol. It's up to Dilly and Gus to do their jobs and figure it out

4 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Honestly this will be a tough year for us because our schedule is absolutely brutal. We will need the defense to step up big time and I think they will so the wildcard becomes the offense as usual. How will the OL do? Our running game? And who will be behind center. Defense can win a few for us but they can’t win every game.. 

I know..The schedule is brutal every year and will continue to be so even when they move the UGA game. I heard a report that the o-line is "light years ahead" from last year but I'm still not getting my hopes too high. Ceiling for the team I still say is 9 wins and a decent bowl game. The bottom could completely fall out AGAIN.

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

well going by the bolded part it looks like one of the QB's does 2 things well lol. But I know what you meant lol. It's up to Dilly and Gus to do their jobs and figure it out

Sorry gatewood* 

37 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

He continued to push for Sandberg to be redshirted.. dude.. he was redshirted last year.. get it together. 

Gilmore is an idiot. If he doesn't know what he's talking about should just keep his mouth shut.

38 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

He continued to push for Sandberg to be redshirted.. dude.. he was redshirted last year.. get it together. 

He tries to sound knowledgeable, but he’s just not.

Bad news: Not much separation in the top 3

Good news: It's because they all played really well.

I was surprised at how well Gatewood threw, and how well Nix ran. And Willis looked good as well.  Dang, this is going to be a battle.  But I'd call this a very good problem. And all the talk about the WR's not playing well--forgetaboutit.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I don't think he transfers and he won't change positions. He can wait his turn if he's not the starter.

Wait behind a TF?

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

So best-case scenario for what it seems like is Gatewood winning the job and playing 2 years and entering the draft and then Bo having his turn. Y'all don't think Bo transfers if this happens? Bo isn't just any true freshman.

I really can't see Bo transferring in year one at all regardless. Sure, he wants to start like any QB wants the ball but I just don't think his ego is that big. He's played enough to know that he would be one play away from being the guy if he was number 2. Hopefully whoever wins the job will be successful enough that we don't have the week to week discussion on playing the other. Now all bets are off for me for 2020 if Joey is still starting. Bo may be a legacy but he's going to be a very good QB. If Gus makes it through this year then he obviously made the right choice at QB. Next year will be the year that he could lose one of the two. 

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

I was surprised at how well Gatewood threw, and how well Nix ran.

I was not surprised at how well Gatewood threw but will have to say I was pleasantly surprised at Nix’s running ability. He is basically a faster SW with a better arm. Can understand his hype train but I still love my Gatewood. The announcers are right when they say each QB will have their own type of offense. What we saw today was Gatewood do fairly well in a Bo Nix type offense. I believe there is a whole other level of the offense that can be unleashed. 

I think gatewood will be our starter in Arlington, our game against Oregon. He looked really good passing today and I think he’ll be great as a runner. We’re going to need to get a big running game going early season with strong defensive play until our offense can come together full speed. Joey is way ahead of Bo at this point in the playbook and reading the defense. I overheard CGM say bo missed a couple of pre-snap reads, but I think he’ll be a quick study. Bo may be the most polished and confident freshman qb I’ve ever seen at AU though!

49 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I was not surprised at how well Gatewood threw but will have to say I was pleasantly surprised at Nix’s running ability. He is basically a faster SW with a better arm. Can understand his hype train but I still love my Gatewood. The announcers are right when they say each QB will have their own type of offense. What we saw today was Gatewood do fairly well in a Bo Nix type offense. I believe there is a whole other level of the offense that can be unleashed. 

Hah. So what you are saying is we will see Gatewood play in a Nix type offense and see Nix play in a Gatewood type offense!

I would expect no less from Gus.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

So best-case scenario for what it seems like is Gatewood winning the job and playing 2 years and entering the draft and then Bo having his turn. Y'all don't think Bo transfers if this happens? Bo isn't just any true freshman.

Obviously Jeremy wasnt quite the prospect Bo was, but he also became more coveted because of his game time exposure. He couldve easily left too, but being a RS-SO is substantially different than being a RS-JR. If you're asking a coach to play the odds, they're gonna risk the scenario Im describing over the one you are. 

Edit I realized Jeremy never got to RS, but I feel like this strengthens my odds as a guy who could've been accepted anywhere with a RS still available stuck around)

Not to mention Bo isn't going to transfer THIS season by any means. So you can obviously risk starting Joey and seeing how that plays out live. 

Just now, CCTAU said:

Hah. So what you are saying is we will see Gatewood play in a Nix type offense and see Nix play in a Gatewood type offense!

I would expect no less from Gus.

I think whenever the starting QB is named, Gus will eventually scheme the offense around the QB. Both have unique strengths that should provide plenty for Gus to work with, so yes, Gus would be doing it all wrong if he didn’t adapt the offense to his QBs.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think whenever the starting QB is named, Gus will eventually scheme the offense around the QB. Both have unique strengths that should provide plenty for Gus to work with, so yes, Gus would be doing it all wrong if he didn’t adapt the offense to his QBs.

Yeah. JJ6 would have loved that.

He hasn’t adapted all that well since NM graduated. Hopefully he will reach back into his memory and remember what it was like adapting his offense to a particularly set of QB skills.

Sorry. Just lost a lot faith in Gus.

15 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Yeah. JJ6 would have loved that.

He hasn’t adapted all that well since NM graduated. Hopefully he will reach back into his memory and remember what it was like adapting his offense to a particularly set of QB skills.

Sorry. Just lost a lot faith in Gus.

Truth be told I think old Gus would name Gatewood his starter and work with the inverted veer and power running game. I think he should especially with a strong OL, strong running game, and only few stout receivers. However, I also think having a successful passing offense is something that is tantalizing to Gus. 

11 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Thanks m really liking this young man

I can see why he got out of Tuscaloosa. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I really can't see Bo transferring in year one at all regardless. Sure, he wants to start like any QB wants the ball but I just don't think his ego is that big. He's played enough to know that he would be one play away from being the guy if he was number 2. Hopefully whoever wins the job will be successful enough that we don't have the week to week discussion on playing the other. Now all bets are off for me for 2020 if Joey is still starting. Bo may be a legacy but he's going to be a very good QB. If Gus makes it through this year then he obviously made the right choice at QB. Next year will be the year that he could lose one of the two. 

I'm not saying year one in that scenario..just period.

31 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Obviously Jeremy wasnt quite the prospect Bo was, but he also became more coveted because of his game time exposure. He couldve easily left too, but being a RS-SO is substantially different than being a RS-JR. If you're asking a coach to play the odds, they're gonna risk the scenario Im describing over the one you are. 

Edit I realized Jeremy never got to RS, but I feel like this strengthens my odds as a guy who could've been accepted anywhere with a RS still available stuck around)

Not to mention Bo isn't going to transfer THIS season by any means. So you can obviously risk starting Joey and seeing how that plays out live. 

I know what y'all are talking about...I'm just selfish and bias. If Bo starts I really don't want us to lose Joey G.....It's too early for this crap.

Archived