QB race after 1 half

DAG

First half QB play?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you got as the starter, if you had to evaluate it off of this limited half of play? Mind you MW and Cord have been with the twos and Bo/Gatewood with the 1s. All seem to be playing good ball.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are seeing struggles with Nix with the 1st team defense. Thrown Pick to LB. I think Joey went 3 and out. So a little more adversity.

If I had to pick today I would say Nix but dang Joey too.. glad I am not making that decision. I am really pulling for Joey.. I want him to step up and be a good leader and take control of the offense. But Nix man.. he looks good.. I am bipolar when it comes to these QBs. 

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

1.  Gatewood

2a. Nix

2b. Willis

4.  Sandburg 

Gatewood and Nix have def separated themselves. They are def 1a and 1b.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gatewood and Nix have def separated themselves. They are def 1a and 1b.

Agreed. Willis didn’t show me a whole bunch that I saw. Nix and Gatewood just looked more the part. 

Keep in mind we didn’t see much in the way of Gatewood’s running today. 

Toss up between Joey and Bo from what I saw. We left the stadium mid third to go do some strolling. Joey has progressed nicely. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Or Nix I would add

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That probably ultimately will be the deciding factor , but I am honestly cautioned by this. 

Couples things to consider though. Obviously gatewood would be a lot more explosive if it was live, that would’ve been nice to see. Secondly, Nix as a true freshman still has to be walked through progressions and calls at the line per the sideline reporter. Those differences can be the slight difference in who is the starter and back up.

one of joeys best assets is running the ball as well as using his legs to extend plays. right now i feel like joey is the better qb and when auburn decides to unleash the beast so to speak folks will see. i also think bo is close and as a true freshman that is pretty awesome so there is that to consider. i really have no favorites between the two and would be good with either of those guys. i do not wish willis any ill will i just believe he needs to really step up and show more than he has for me to be comfy with him. i will pull for whomever wins the job. i hope others do the same even if their favorite qb might not start.

I would be ok with either bo or Joey at this point. Both looked great with first team vs scrubs. Neither did big when the script was flipped. Joey didn’t get to show his abilities running. Nix will not be as talented running but moving the pocket and seeing the field is where I think he’ll shine. This will go to the wire. 

Ideally, for the future of the program, we probably need Gatewood to win the QB race. It would be a sad state of affairs regarding depth if Nix won out, Gatewood transfers, Nix gets injured. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Ideally, for the future of the program, we probably need Gatewood to win the QB race. It would be a sad state of affairs regarding depth if Nix won out, Gatewood transfers, Nix gets injured. 

And if nix transfers ? 

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

And if nix transfers ? 

I don't think he does coming in as a true freshman, especially with the ties to Auburn as a legacy. I would definitely think Joey transfers if Bo wins being Bo is surely only to get better.  Bo did have a savviness to him in the pocket. With that said I think Bo could use a year of consistently facing our elite defense as well as learning those progressions as you mentioned above. 

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

And if nix transfers ? 

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I don't think he does coming in as a true freshman, especially with the ties to Auburn as a legacy. I would definitely think Joey transfers if Bo wins being Bo is surely only to get better.  Bo did have a savviness to him in the pocket. With that said I think Bo could use a year of consistently facing our elite defense as well as learning those progressions as you mentioned above. 

What he said. I think Nix is a solid lock for us in 2 years, should Gatewood ball. 

50 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

What he said. I think Nix is a solid lock for us in 2 years, should Gatewood ball. 

Man, I thought Gatewood made some really good throws. Granted it was a gloried scrimmage, but the kid looked way better than last years Aday. Maybe the x factor is Dillingham and Gus spending more time with the offense. Willis looked better than last year too. I'm not surprised Nix looked good, he was a more polished high school QB. 

I thought one thing was very noticeable, the improvement in the passing skills of the QBs that were in last year's A-Day game. You could see Joey had worked really hard on his passing and it paid off. He was much better which I thought was critically important for us to see. Willis was also throwing the ball better than he was last year. It definitely showed that they are both getting better QB coaching now. Nix came in from his Dad's QB coaching and already had good passing skills. 

But, I don't think you can underestimate the added dimension a big body running QB, who can also make the throws, brings to the table. We won't know for sure until the real games begin, especially when it comes to their decision making, but right now I put Joey at #1 and Bo #2. I  like where we're at with the QB position.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Nix was indeed slippery 

I was really surprised with his speed; I would like to know his forty time.

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Man, I thought Gatewood made some really good throws. Granted it was a gloried scrimmage, but the kid looked way better than last years Aday. Maybe the x factor is Dillingham and Gus spending more time with the offense. Willis looked better than last year too. I'm not surprised Nix looked good, he was a more polished high school QB. 

Neither QB looked worth a lick against the 1s on defense in the second half—as indicated by the score(or lack thereof)and Brown got to munch. And that’s fine kind of. Lets us know that the defense should be sick(as anticipated). However, they’ll have to keep playing against them to polish their game. 

I know I did not give Willis much love in the past, but his first series was not too shabby. He likely will not be the starter, but the improvement since the Alabama State game was definitely there.  If he does not leave, I would like to see him maybe as a DB or receiver. He could excel at either possibly. I got a kick out of watching Dilly on the sideline calling plays. We all know that he will be in the press box when the gates open this season, but I loved his animation on the sideline.

I was not paying attention to Sir Maxwell my Corgi while composing my post, and the little devil chewed a hole in my tennis shoe while on my right foot!

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I was not paying attention to Maxwell my Corgi while composing my post, and the little devil chewed a hole in my tennis shoe while on my right foot!

Dammit, Maxwell. Get your s*** together, bud. 

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My point is the QB shouldn’t be picked on who might or might not transfer. I don’t think Gus thinks that way anyhow.

Archived