QB race after 1 half

DAG

First half QB play?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you got as the starter, if you had to evaluate it off of this limited half of play? Mind you MW and Cord have been with the twos and Bo/Gatewood with the 1s. All seem to be playing good ball.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

My point is the QB shouldn’t be picked on who might or might not transfer. I don’t think Gus thinks that way anyhow.

That’s why I said “ideally”, meaning my personal preference.

I certainly want us to play the best QB to put us in the position to win. I don’t want Gus to kowtow to feelings. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

That’s why I said “ideally”, meaning my personal preference.

I certainly want us to play the best QB to put us in the position to win. I don’t want Gus to kowtow to feelings. 

I understand that’s your personal preference hence why I said I don’t think Gus thinks that way and I am grateful for that .

In a perfect world, Joey balls out in the pre-season, Bo redshirts and Willis and Sandburg are only needed in mop-up, blowout situations. Sadly, the world is seldom perfect.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

In a perfect world, Joey balls out in the pre-season, Bo redshirts and Willis and Sandburg are only needed in mop-up, blowout situations. Sadly, the world is seldom perfect.

I just don't see Nix redshirting after forgoing his senior yr and enrolling early. I would think he did this just so he could learn the system, and be a part of the team in the fall, either winning the job, or contributing at times.

I don't want a 2 QB system, but in the end, it will depend if Gatewood can pass the ball enough to move the chains and make some splash plays other than running the ball. 

Nix, in the end I think we will the more polished field general, who will grasp the QB progressions quicker, and make bigger plays in the passing game than Gatewood. 

It will be an interesting fall...

Hard to tell based on play calls, quick whistle, and who played against the first team with second team blockers and who played against the second team with first team blockers.  Also, no idea what Gus is going to try to do offensively during the season.  More passing, more zone read, short routes, deep routes, etc.

Willis looked better than I expected in 1st quarter against first team D.  Gatewood throws a better ball than I expected to see.  Nix had the best overall field awareness and looked more comfortable in the pocket and was faster than I expected.  Cord went against 1st team D, had little time to throw and got a lot of run calls, so couldn't tell much about him.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be shocked by any of them starting except for Cord.

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Hard to tell based on play calls, quick whistle, and who played against the first team with second team blockers and who played against the second team with first team blockers.  Also, no idea what Gus is going to try to do offensively during the season.  More passing, more zone read, short routes, deep routes, etc.

Willis looked better than I expected in 1st quarter against first team D.  Gatewood throws a better ball than I expected to see.  Nix had the best overall field awareness and looked more comfortable in the pocket and was faster than I expected.  Cord went against 1st team D, had little time to throw and got a lot of run calls, so couldn't tell much about him.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be shocked by any of them starting except for Cord.

Yeah people give MW a hard time but he actually came out the most impressive early on. 

Based solely on a first viewing (haven't watched the playback on my DVR), Gatewood looks the most impressive to me. Nix did impress me with his wheels, but right now I think he redshirts unless Gatewood gets hurt. I saw the comparisons to Nick Marshall with regard to throwing the ball, and I think Joey has a better arm with better size and similar mobility. That's why I expect him to win the job.

29 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Based solely on a first viewing (haven't watched the playback on my DVR), Gatewood looks the most impressive to me. Nix did impress me with his wheels, but right now I think he redshirts unless Gatewood gets hurt. I saw the comparisons to Nick Marshall with regard to throwing the ball, and I think Joey has a better arm with better size and similar mobility. That's why I expect him to win the job.

This. 

Gatewood - Gus just ain't going to start a true freshman.  Doesn't mean Bo doesn't move into the starting role during the season, but gotta believe Gatewood is bit better runner overall than Bo and has had more time to learn the offense.  Thus, I think it goes to Gatewood.

But I am for the Tigers, and will support whomever is the starter.

I would have to say Gatewood if just going by what I saw in the A-Day game. He didn't turn the ball over and I suspect he will be the bigger run threat when the orange jerseys come off. Super small sample size though. I have to add that Nix looked impressive for a true freshman and Willis looked more comfortable and was making better decisions than in past performances. Just my untrained prospective.

One thing to also consider is that when Bo and Joey were playing in the 2nd half, they didn't have Boobie, Kam, and several of the starting receivers at hand. 

2 hours ago, Timbeaux38 said:

One thing to also consider is that when Bo and Joey were playing in the 2nd half, they didn't have Boobie, Kam, and several of the starting receivers at hand. 

Or starting oline. 

i just hope we stand behind whoever wins the starting job this year..

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Looks like gatewood as the favorite in a run away.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Looks like gatewood as the favorite in a run away.

A runaway, you've got to be kidding. Did you look at that stats of Bo vs Joey? 

53 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

A runaway, you've got to be kidding. Did you look at that stats of Bo vs Joey? 

I was talking about in the fan voting guy. And no I didn’t think it needed clarification since I started the poll. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I was talking about in the fan voting guy. And no I didn’t think it needed clarification since I started the poll. 

JMO but understandable that Joey might be a fan favorite (if he is)….looks like the second coming of Cam and seems to have more potential as true dual threat QB who can make three yards on the ground when you really need it.   I like 'em both and won't be disappointed however it goes between Bo and Joey. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

JMO but understandable that Joey might be a fan favorite (if he is)….looks like the second coming of Cam and seems to have more potential as true dual threat QB who can make three yards on the ground when you really need it.   I like 'em both and won't be disappointed however it goes between Bo and Joey. 

I think what will hurts Bo is he is just inexperienced . Even clemson’s QB struggled early on and needed KB to help transition him until he was ready. The best thing for Bo would honestly be for him to play four games this year and redshirt.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I think what will hurts Bo is he is just inexperienced . Even clemson’s QB struggled early on and needed KB to help transition him until he was ready. The best thing for Bo would honestly be for him to play four games this year and redshirt.

He sure didn't look inexperienced to me in that A-Day game.

3 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Well one thing he and Joey both were playing against the twos, but I actually was looking at more than just stats and a point that was bought up by the reporter was the fact that Gus still had to walk Bo through progressions and plays. That is what I meant by inexperienced.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well one thing he and Joey both were playing against the twos, but I actually was looking at more than just stats and a point that was bought up by the reporter was the fact that Gus still had to walk Bo through progressions and plays. That is what I meant by inexperienced.

I think that's the issue...which points out the dangers of trying to make too many judgments about players from what you see on A Day.  We saw some great plays and I'm encouraged but I'd not want to be making decisions on who should start quite yet.

8 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

And it's not like JG has any more game experience. In fact, if you look at it as total time at the QB position, JG has substantially less experience playing the position than Bo. JG does have more time in the system though. 

Archived