QB race after 1 half

DAG

First half QB play?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you got as the starter, if you had to evaluate it off of this limited half of play? Mind you MW and Cord have been with the twos and Bo/Gatewood with the 1s. All seem to be playing good ball.

Just now, AU64 said:

I think that's the issue...which points out the dangers of trying to make too many judgments about players from what you see on A Day.  We saw some great plays and I'm encouraged but I'd not want to be making decisions on who should start quite yet.

Yes they both looked shaky against the 1s and Bo threw a pick. Imagine playing against other teams 1s and their crowd as well. I think Bo is a natural at the QB position but I can see how JG at the very least will have a leg up on him with being in the system for a full year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An issue to consider also is that our 1st D is likely to be one of the best defenses they will see this year so a little struggle when playing them is OK with me..

Also...it will be nice for them to have a couple games (other than Oregon) to get comfortable with the offense before Tex A and M. .   

Oregon will be a difficult game ...no matter which QB starts and I'm hoping expectations for what either QB can do is reasonable .   JMO but if we are able to run the ball reasonably well against Oregon...I expect Gus will mostly run the ball and not put too much pressure on the QB. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

An issue to consider also is that our 1st D is likely to be one of the best defenses they will see this year so a little struggle when playing them is OK with me..

Also...it will be nice for them to have a couple games (other than Oregon) to get comfortable with the offense before Tex A and M. .   

Oregon will be a difficult game ...no matter which QB starts and I'm hoping expectations for what either QB can do is reasonable .   JMO but if we are able to run the ball reasonably well against Oregon...I expect Gus will mostly run the ball and not put too much pressure on the QB. 

I'd try attacking them through the air initially. They had a pretty good run D

Passing

Cmp. Att.  Pct.    Yds.   TD

19.8   34.8  56.9   241.6  1.8

Rushing

Att.  Yds.    Avg.  TD

38.5  146.7  3.8     1.0

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'd try attacking them through the air initially. They had a pretty good run D

Passing

Cmp. Att.  Pct.    Yds.   TD

19.8   34.8  56.9   241.6  1.8

Rushing

Att.  Yds.    Avg.  TD

38.5  146.7  3.8     1.0

You probably, ....maybe even me......but Gus?    bet he will try to dominate on the ground if he can...….which makes me think that Joey would get the start :dunno:   

Not sure what Oregon will have defensively.....play in a mostly passing oriented conference and SEC teams usually are able to run on Pac 12 I think.    

Just now, AU64 said:

You probably, ....maybe even me......but Gus?    bet he will try to dominate on the ground if he can...….which makes me think that Joey would get the start :dunno:   

You're right about Gus' tendency. I think JG starts as well.

Whoever starts against Oregon doesn't matter that much because I think Gus will use both in the game and It's gonna make me nervous. Honestly, I don't even wanna think about and everybody knows why. I, myself, would want to stick with one qb because Gus trying to do too much and mess it up is very possible. Whoever it is will need rhythm.

Also fun fact: Bo was sacked 3 times in high school...3 times!!!

15 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Whoever starts against Oregon doesn't matter that much because I think Gus will use both in the game and It's gonna make me nervous. Honestly, I don't even wanna think about and everybody knows why. I, myself, would want to stick with one qb because Gus trying to do too much and mess it up is very possible. Whoever it is will need rhythm.

Also fun fact: Bo was sacked 3 times in high school...3 times!!!

When has Gus ever used two QBs unless one was simply the Wildcat? I HOPE he plays both Gatewood and Nix (not against Oregon, but against the lesser teams we play following them), but I'm not counting on it, barring injury.

32 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

When has Gus ever used two QBs unless one was simply the Wildcat? I HOPE he plays both Gatewood and Nix (not against Oregon, but against the lesser teams we play following them), but I'm not counting on it, barring injury.

Such a short memory.  I believe it was 2016 all the way up to the Texas A&M game.

My guess is Gatewood starts because that's what Gus likes, a true running QB. And it sure is nice seeing a huge running QB back there. Gatewood stands tall in the pocket and has a nice release. He might need to work on putting a little more air under his passes. Malik and his sidearm need adjusting. He's not as tall as the others, and him throwing sidearm really makes a ball come out low and could be easily batted down by the DL.

I like Gatewood, so long as he doesn't become a head case in games like Jeremy Johnson. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

This man used 3 qb's in a game! I'm not ruling anything out!

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Such a short memory.  I believe it was 2016 all the way up to the Texas A&M game.

3 in fact for one game lol. 

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Yup!
Gatewood has my bet for the guy to get the initial nod.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Well actually you are both right. Gus skipped over using 2 qbs and went right to 3 QBs that day.

I don’t put much stock in the second half of A day. The first half told me the most. Yeah Joey and Bo looked good....going against the 2’s. But Willis looked the best of all of them going against the 1’s. Don’t count him out just yet. 

I just think if Nix wins Gatewood will transfer. Gatewood wins Nix will RS.  I believe unless Nix is way ahead Joey starts Game 1. But will say Bo has better speed than I had seen from him prior.

I rewatched that beautiful throw from Malik to Matthew Hill. That was a thing of beauty! I have no idea who will get the nod. Leaving the game, my gut said Gatewood. I wish Malik would prove us all wrong and win the job, purely based on the fact that he has done his time waiting for his turn and he has been severely limited in what he was allowed to do when he got a chance in the last two years. I am not sure we know yet what he can do. I think Bo will be patient and wait his turn. A redshirt year is not a bad thing for a QB. At any rate, I think we have some good choices.

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Well there goes the qb battle. (This is Coynis Miller btw)

If I was a lower class first time gambler with 85,000 dollars to gamble, I would’ve betted on Coynis tbh. He was always a sleeper in my eyes and I believed in him. 

On 4/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

I rewatched that beautiful throw from Malik to Matthew Hill. That was a thing of beauty! 

Some of the more seasoned fans will need to verify this, but his catch had a Beasly-esque nature to it.  I'm not 100%, but it seemed to match up with the way my parents would describe how TB would, at full speed, lay way back for the catch.

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

Some of the more seasoned fans will need to verify this, but his catch had a Beasly-esque nature to it.  I'm not 100%, but it seemed to match up with the way my parents would describe how TB would, at full speed, lay way back for the catch.

Here's what I have found so far. Not a lot available on Sullivan to Beasley 

Here's what I have found so far.

First catch on second video!

Edited  by Bottomfeeder

Edited January 15, 2013 by Bottomfeeder

@bigbird, I don’t remember TB’s catches. I was a young girl then and would have had no concept of what I was looking at.  I just liked watching the cheerleaders back then. 😂 However, we sat in the end zone on A-Day.  My husband said he wanted to watch plays develop. Anyway, Hill was bent over backwards catching that ball.  I remember being in awe of the curve in his back as he caught it.  Good way to start off A-Day, I’d say.  😊

On 4/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, Rednilla said:

Lol

On 4/18/2019 at 12:07 AM, bigbird said:

Agree. Sullivan to Beasley we're my first and some of my best memories ever of Auburn football. Some of his catches defied logic IMO. My avatar is from the cover of God's Receiver. Great story by the way for anyone who hasn't read it. 

Archived