DJ Williams

alexava

Looked like he was out there playing for  a spot, for sure.  I wasn’t completely impressed with the run game, with no break away runs, but they were running against a pretty good defense.  

I said in the recruiting thread he’d be a great player for us. Being injured and in a wildcat offense is what really kept his recruiting exposure modest at best. He was a diamond in the rough.

16 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

The goober SEC network kept referring to him as a veteran junior RB.

He also said Cord needs to redshirt.🤦‍♂️

Williams is STRONG. Runs like a faster version of Dyer. 

we have assembled a nice running back crew.  Boobie, DJ, & Cam not to forget Mallik.  I think DJ is going to be special. Does anyone know what his 40 time is?  He looks like he has nice bursts of speed when needed. Oops... almost forgot about Worm he is indeed special as well. I would say that we may have one of the best RB group in the SEC without a doubt!

43 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

we have assembled a nice running back crew.  Boobie, DJ, & Cam not to forget Mallik.  I think DJ is going to be special. Does anyone know what his 40 time is?  He looks like he has nice bursts of speed when needed. Oops... almost forgot about Worm he is indeed special as well. I would say that we may have one of the best RB group in the SEC without a doubt!

Also forgot about Mark-Anthony Richards. Dude could be another KJ. I know that is a big comparison but the dude is special.

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Also forgot about Mark-Anthony Richards. Dude could be another KJ. I know that is a big comparison but the dude is special.

sorry about that! You are right about Mark Anthony in that he could be a super back as well! Getting giddy about our RB possibilities! 

I just finished reading "Shug" about Coach Jordan. He was one special coach and one that did Auburn proud. I will likely stay up all night posting and reading in that sleep is hard to come by with all of the nasty meds my doctor is forcing down my digestive system. I am going to start reading "In The Arena" about Pat Dye. Probably around 5 am, maybe sleep will come!

36 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I just finished reading "Shug" about Coach Jordan. He was one special coach and one that did Auburn proud. I will likely stay up all night posting and reading in that sleep is hard to come by with all of the nasty meds my doctor is forcing down my digestive system. I am going to start reading "In The Arena" about Pat Dye. Probably around 5 am, maybe sleep will come!

Both are great reads. Here's another one for you: https://www.amazon.com/Matter-Conscience-Redemption-Hometown-Bobby/dp/1609560019

It about Auburn's Bobby Hoppe, one of the stars of the 1957 National Championship team. If you like the two books you mentioned above, you'll like this one too.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Both are great reads. Here's another one for you: https://www.amazon.com/Matter-Conscience-Redemption-Hometown-Bobby/dp/1609560019

It about Auburn's Bobby Hoppe, one of the stars of the 1957 National Championship team. If you like the two books you mentioned above, you'll like this one too.

We can learn so much from our elder Auburn men. They have a level of honor and class that we all Auburn men should strive for!

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

thanks for posting that mikey even if it was for doc. i will be buying a copy from amazon and had never even heard about this book. his wife seems to be a great writer from the few pages i read. i hope the football parts are juicy as well.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Don't forget about Joiner too.

I think Richards is going to be the better of the freshman RBs, and I still think Shivers is our most dynamic runner, but Williams did look good. Kam might well be the starter in game 1 because of seniority, but I suspect he's going to be overtaken in the pecking order this season.

What I liked about Williams is this:

1. ability to cut and make players miss even running between the tackles

2. He is strong, and showed it by breaking tackles and making quite a bit of yards after contact. If he learns his plays well, and doesn't turn the ball over, I see him taking over for KMart as that change of pace back after Boobie.

On the other back...Joiner is not going to be playing that much HB as he is not that quick to the hole, as tall as he is. He reminds me of a little quicker. Stacey Danley(tall back around 6'3") back in the Dye days.But I can see him as a pass catcher and doing other things as he is versatile.

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

2. He is strong, and showed it by breaking tackles and making quite a bit of yards after contact. If he learns his plays well, and doesn't turn the ball over, I see him taking over for KMart as that change of pace back after Boobie.

On the other back...Joiner is not going to be playing that much HB as he is not that quick to the hole, as tall as he is. He reminds me of a little quicker. Stacey Danley(tall back around 6'3") back in the Dye days.But I can see him as a pass catcher and doing other things as he is versatile.

I’m not sure what role Joiner ends up in but I think he’ll be productive at something..ju

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

They seemed to try and get the ball to him (Joiner) in passing game several times in A-day.

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

Wow Bobby Hoppe what a great player but he scared me to death. I mean he was one bad ass in his early years

22 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Don't leave out "The Worm"

9 hours ago, steeleagle said:

On the other back...Joiner reminds me of a little quicker. Stacey Danley(tall back around 6'3") back in the Dye days.But I can see him as a pass catcher and doing other things as he is versatile.

Yes, please.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow Bobby Hoppe what a great player but he scared me to death. I mean he was one bad ass in his early years

That was before I got to Auburn, but there's a tale told by a friend who was there about Hoppe pulling a pistol out of his pocket, shooting and making some guy "dance" like in the western movies. This was in front of the Tiger Movie Theater, downtown by Toomer's Corner, with a crowd watching. The times, they have a-changed.

Archived