More playmakers than 2010?

StatTiger

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well you can have that the defense bailed out the offense which contradicts “team victory.”

It’s just whatever. 

In your mind that is how it works . And that’s fine . It’s no different than me stating that the offense bailed out the defense in 2014 plenty of times (South Carolina 2014).Nevertheless, the team ultimately wins. One side of the ball just played much better. Is this really that hard to comprehend? It’s like when the rockets made their comeback against the clippers in 2015. James Harden played well below his standards. He was even benched , but the other guys, specifically Josh Smith, stepped up and outplayed their starters in that second half leading to a great comeback. So, yes those bench players bailed out James Harden and the starters in this instance. Does that make it any less of a team victory ? No! It’s still a W. 

Edited by DAG

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

In your mind that is how it works . And that’s fine . It’s no different than me stating that the offense bailed out the defense in 2014 plenty of times (South Carolina 2014).Nevertheless, the team ultimately wins. One side of the ball just played much better. Is this really that hard to comprehend? It’s like when the rockets made their comeback against the clippers in 2015. James Harden played well below his standards. He was even benched , but the other guys, specifically Josh Smith, stepped up and outplayed their starters in that second half leading to a great comeback. So, yes those bench players bailed out James Harden and the starters in this instance. Does that make it any less of a team victory ? No! It’s still a W. 

Don’t think you can definitively say the defense out performed the offense though. This is a good stopping point. Good NBA reference. Really hits home during this time of the year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

If anyone is interested, I found a YouTube vid of a PowerPoint/film session that Gus gave at a coaching clinic after his 2007 season at Tulsa. It’s very in depth and fascinating honestly.

I'll get back to you about that if the offense is good this season, lol.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Actually, a lot of teams punt when they're not in their kicker's range. Also, the entire point is that the offense couldn't move the ball but folks keep blaming the defense.

No need to be a smart ass. No axe grinding here. Just logic. 

Actually, the entire point of this thread was about the personnel returning on offense as it relates to generating impact plays. Some how it ended up in a debate over the Mississippi State game.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Actually, the entire point of this thread was about the personnel returning on offense as it relates to generating impact plays. Someone how it ended up in a debate over the Mississippi State game.

We have a lot of talent on the offensive end. I miss the allure of a Gus offense. I remember post 2014 thinking , we always have a chance with Gus on the sideline because we can score on anybody . I want us to get that swagger back .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StatTiger said:

Actually, the entire point of this thread was about the personnel returning on offense as it relates to generating impact plays. Someone how it ended up in a debate over the Mississippi State game.

Yes, 64 started us down that road and that was the point that Whiskey was responding to. You had responded to it by then, also.

Thanks for providing the stats on the playmakers. If we have the requisite combined experience that prior successful teams have had, then maybe it will be a special season. All the returning guys on the OL and DL could be the story of the season. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

We have a lot of talent on the offensive end. I miss the allure of a Gus offense. I remember post 2014 thinking , we always have a chance with Gus on the sideline because we can score on anybody . I want us to get that swagger back .

DAG,

Whether it works out or not, I think Gus made he right decision in taking over his offense. If he is going down, he shout go out swinging away. Based on how Spring camp went, I believe he is committed to going HUNH and it isn't simply coach speak. I do believe the skill position personnel is much better than any season since 2013. It does appear AU has two viable options at QB, which leaves the OL. From all accounts, the OL is in much better shape than last season but they should be with everyone returning. How much better they are remains to be seen and will they stay healthy? I think we all want what you suggested... let's get that swagger back on offense!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Actually, the entire point of this thread was about the personnel returning on offense as it relates to generating impact plays. Some how it ended up in a debate over the Mississippi State game.

Since the thread is already hijacked just going to throw this out there:

Game #1 Statistical Evaluation (Washington Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.81] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [50.0%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [3.3] fail
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [41.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [8.3%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [7.6 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [80.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%: [40.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [35.0 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [56.8%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [2/0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [40.5] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays: [ten] pass
14) At least 2 big plays: [0] fail
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [145.1] pass

Score: 9 of 15 (60.0%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.54] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [35.7%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [3.1] pass
04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [36.4%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [27.3%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [9.3 yds] fail
07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [66.7%] pass
08) TD red zone below 60%: [16.7%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [36.2 yds] fail
10) 40% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [40.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [1/2] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [65.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays: [Nine] fail
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [2] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0: [138.0] fail

* Bonus point for 1 TD allowed in 6 red zone possessions

Score: 8 of 15 (53.3%) Pass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Since the thread is already hijacked just going to throw this out there:

Game #1 Statistical Evaluation (Washington Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.81] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [50.0%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [3.3] fail
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [41.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [8.3%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [7.6 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [80.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%: [40.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [35.0 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [56.8%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [2/0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [40.5] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays: [ten] pass
14) At least 2 big plays: [0] fail
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [145.1] pass

Score: 9 of 15 (60.0%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.54] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [35.7%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [3.1] pass
04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [36.4%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [27.3%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [9.3 yds] fail
07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [66.7%] pass
08) TD red zone below 60%: [16.7%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [36.2 yds] fail
10) 40% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [40.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [1/2] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [65.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays: [Nine] fail
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [2] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0: [138.0] fail

* Bonus point for 1 TD allowed in 6 red zone possessions

Score: 8 of 15 (53.3%) Pass

Team victory 🤙🏾🤙🏾🤙🏾

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Damn. If we're using GoT to lighten the mood, then I really need to come up for air.

Image result for game of thrones gif

giphy.gif

• Love 1

On 4/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, Rednilla said:

Well, if it hadn't been for Cam, we probably would have pushed harder to enroll Tyrik Rollison, and we still would have had that super experienced offensive line. I think the 2010 team still would have been a 9-10 win team without the Heisman winner.

wasn't Tyrik already on the team in 09 though ? I remember seeing him on the roster that year . but thought he left the team in early summer of 2010

21 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

wasn't Tyrik already on the team in 09 though ? I remember seeing him on the roster that year . but thought he left the team in early summer of 2010

You might be right. I just remember thinking that if Cam hadn't transferred to Auburn, we would have done whatever necessary to have Rollison on the team that year.

23 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

Pretty sure bruh got his ass kicked in spring practice and transferred not long either. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 11:24 AM, AUFriction said:

To add to your point, MSU only had 69 yards passing. We held their passing attack almost completely in check. It was by no means a stellar day for the defense, but keeping an opponent under 25 points and under 100 yards passing is hardly bad defense. That game was lost because we didn’t put the ball in the end zone once.

MSU did not have to pass we let them keep moving the chains on the ground!

15 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

MSU did not have to pass we let them keep moving the chains on the ground!

We also picked them off early. The offense took advantage of the turnover by going 9 yards on 3 plays and then kicking a field goal. They used up 1:13 of game clock.

And yes, we let them move the chains on the ground. And they still didn't score a legitimate touchdown until there were less than 3 minutes left in the game. We let them inside the 10 three times the entire game, and held them out of the end zone two of those three times, even if the refs didn't agree. Marlon Davidson blocked a field goal, we stuffed them on a 4th and 1, we intercepted the ball, we got a couple 3-and-outs... And that was all while the offense couldn't stay on the field for more than 2 1/2 minutes except for once the entire game

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 9:21 AM, Rednilla said:

You might be right. I just remember thinking that if Cam hadn't transferred to Auburn, we would have done whatever necessary to have Rollison on the team that year.

yeah I was at the WVU game that year and remember seeing Tyrik on the sidelines and during pre-game warm up I agree the coaching staff would've most likely  tried to keep Tyrik on the roster if we hadnt got Cam and if Tyrik had still left imo caudle would've been the qb

On 4/19/2019 at 7:23 AM, McLoofus said:

We also picked them off early. The offense took advantage of the turnover by going 9 yards on 3 plays and then kicking a field goal. They used up 1:13 of game clock.

The offense played against the top ranked total defense in the nation, the top ranked 4th quarter scoring defense, the number two scoring defense in the nation, the third ranked rush defense, and 6th ranked pass defense.. The offense also looked like crap the previous week against Southern Miss and lethargic the week before against Arkansas.. 

Our defense played against an offense that was 80th in scoring offense and 119th in passing offense, etc. This is the same offense that had 201 and 202 yards of total offense leading up to the Auburn game in their previous two games against Florida and Kentucky...As for the next week, instead of getting pounded on the ground and nearly giving up 200 rushing yards to a QB, we shored up the ground game and got air raided by Tennessee in a game that the offensive teammates actually put together good drives. 

Not diminishing the collective efforts of our defense, but let’s call a spade a spade here. The one side of the ball that you’re attributing all of the blame to is the one side that had the much taller task as soon as they stepped on the football field, and it’s because you’re blinded by your hate of Gus Malzahn. The game was billed as a defensive battle before the ball was ever kicked off and let’s face it, our defense bent more than theirs, our offense sucked little more than theirs, and we had more turnovers. That’s a team L.

Edited by aujeff11

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The offense played against the top ranked total defense in the nation, the top ranked 4th quarter scoring defense, the number two scoring defense in the nation, the third ranked rush defense, and 6th ranked pass defense.. The offense also looked like crap the previous week against Southern Miss and lethargic the week before against Arkansas.. 

Our defense played against an offense that was 80th in scoring offense and 119th in passing offense, etc. This is the same offense that had 201 and 202 yards of total offense leading up to the Auburn game in their previous two games against Florida and Kentucky...As for the next week, instead of getting pounded on the ground and nearly giving up 200 rushing yards to a QB, we shored up the ground game and got air raided by Tennessee in a game that the offensive teammates actually put together good drives. 

Not diminishing the collective efforts of our defense, but let’s call a spade a spade here. The one side of the ball that you’re attributing all of the blame to is the one side that had the much taller task as soon as they stepped on the football field, and it’s because you’re blinded by your hate of Gus Malzahn. The game was billed as a defensive battle before the ball was ever kicked off and let’s face it, our defense bent more than theirs, our offense sucked little more than theirs, and we had more turnovers. That’s a team L.

Man I would love to see a true discussion between you guys. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Man I would love to see a true discussion between you guys. 

Well you know there has to be some give and  take. There will be times when the defense gets a turnover and the offense doesn’t respond. There will also be times when the offense scores and the defense doesn’t take advantage. That’s football.

We both agree the offense deserves the majority of the blame, but that doesn’t absolve the other side from its own mistakes. The issues with the offense has dominated the offseason, so it’s not like the offense is getting off with a pass. Harping on the offense for this particular game really doesn’t make any sense.

During the two game stretch of the Mississippi State- Tennessee games, the defense gave up on average 23 points and 410 yards. Yeah, that may be good enough to keep the team in the game sometimes, but when it’s against teams that formed the mudsill of offensive production in the SEC, it’s simply not good enough. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well you know there has to be some give and  take. There will be times when the defense gets a turnover and the offense doesn’t respond. There will also be times when the offense scores and the defense doesn’t take advantage. That’s football.

We both agree the offense deserves the majority of the blame, but that doesn’t absolve the other side for its own mistakes. The issues with the offense dominated the offseason, so it’s not like the offense is getting off with a pass. Harping on the offense for this particular game really doesn’t make any sense.

During the two game stretch of the Mississippi State- Tennessee games, the defense gave up on average 23 points and 410 yards. Yeah, that may be good enough to keep the team in the game sometimes, but when it’s against teams that formed the mudsill of offensive production in the SEC, it’s simply not good enough. 

Nothing wrong with this post at all. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We both agree the offense deserves the majority of the blame, but that doesn’t absolve the other side for its own mistakes. The issues with the offense dominated the offseason, so it’s not like the offense is getting off with a pass. Harping on the offense for this particular game really doesn’t make any sense.

What was sad was our offense was actually moving the ball well at times during the Tennessee game. Turnovers killed us. Stidham had a rough game that day to say the least!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

What was sad was our offense was actually moving the ball well at times during the Tennessee game. Turnovers killed us. Stidham had a rough game that day to say the least!

Yeah. UT game a very different story. Total collapse in that game and one of Gus's worst days at Auburn.

Offense lost the MSU game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Total collapse in that game and one of Gus's worst days at Auburn.

448 total yards and 22 first downs isn’t a total collapse. Gus isn’t the reason for the TO’s.

BTW: You could swap Steele for Gus and the edited version would fit even better. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:17 AM, McLoofus said:

Yeah. UT game a very different story. Total collapse in that game and one of Gus's worst days at Auburn.

Offense lost the MSU game. 

UT converted far too many 3 down and long situations in that game. UT's receivers made a lot of 3rd & long catches that killed us.  If we could have found a way to not turn the ball over during that game, and could have stopped  some of those 3rd and long situations, this  could have given us a game that most of us were expecting. I am tired of losing to Pruitt going back to the 2013 NC game.

• Like 2

2018 is a distant memory in the Doc's mind. 2019 gives me hope and I think this team could be special on both sides of the ball. I think the chemistry is strong on both sides of the ball. This is a very tough schedule and will take a special team to navigate it with minimal losses. I pray that great things will happen and we will be in for an entertaining 2019 season and one that will make us proud.