More playmakers than 2010?

StatTiger

Not to digress back to the OP for too long, but we clearly have a lot of playmakers on the offense next year.  I am convinced that the success or failure of the offense will rest on the broad shoulders of the O-line.   The talent is clearly there, but nothing can happen without the fellas in the trenches.

• Like 1

I definitely think we have a lot of playmakers to put up some nice numbers this year. I’m just hoping and praying we’ll actually take advantage of it. We have a number of players that are deadly in open space. Simple intermediate passes can easily go for huge gains with the athletes we have. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I definitely think we have a lot of playmakers to put up some nice numbers this year. I’m just hoping and praying we’ll actually take advantage of it. We have a number of players that are deadly in open space. Simple intermediate passes can easily go for huge gains with the athletes we have. 

Slant routes and levels would be nice complements to Gus' offense.  I will never understand his fear of passing across the middle.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Slant routes and levels would be nice complements to Gus' offense.  I will never understand his fear of passing across the middle.

Just a guess, but I think it stems from the same characteristic(s) that make him shut down the offense at halftime (if not before), only let certain players run certain plays, leave injured players on the field instead of letting the backups play, go straight chickensh** any time he faces Brent Venables.....

26 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The man coaches scared, period.  Unless of course he's going up against the Boilermakers, then it's blow the thing wide open - no holds barred philosophy.

He knew after that pansy ass showing in the IB deliberately running out the clock to stop uat from scoring that the fans would be livid for weeks.  Then BAM!  blow out Purdue and get back on the fans good side and let that carry him over for 8 more months until he faces a whole new season.

It's the same old Wash-Rinse-Repeat every dang year with this staff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keesler said:

The man coaches scared, period.  Unless of course he's going up against the Boilermakers, then it's blow the thing wide open - no holds barred philosophy.

He knew after that pansy ass showing in the IB deliberately running out the clock to stop uat from scoring that the fans would be livid for weeks.  Then BAM!  blow out Purdue and get back on the fans good side and let that carry him over for 8 more months until he faces a whole new season.

Game 1:

But we're going to be aggressive -- I'll tell you right now we're going to be aggressive this year. That's just how it's going to go down.

Game 12 :

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

6 hours ago, keesler said:

And thus, why about this time every year, I've gotten excited about the upcoming season only to let it get tempered by experience.  As I've said before....I'll say again.   Gus, fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice, shame on you; fool me a third time, shame on me again...and again...and yet again....

If I'm fooled this year, it'll be because Auburn lost no more than 1-2 games and wins the SEC Championship.  I'll forgive him for fooling me this time.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Honestly he does incorporate these items and they were outlined in some of his powerpoints from one of his coaching clinics when he was at Tulsa. He also likes to use the Mills concept (Post on the outside, Dig by the slot) as well. One of the items I liked that we started doing in short yardage/red zone was the introduction of a rub route. 

Part of the reason you haven’t seen us attacking the middle that often is because of his over protective focus on reducing turnovers. That being said, when teams would leave that area of the field un protected, we have attacked there. Washington was a huge example of this as they set their safety extremely deep so we ran posts and deep slants and had great production out of it. Sadly our red zone perfomance continues to struggle when the run game is absent.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Honestly he does incorporate these items and they were outlined in some of his powerpoints from one of his coaching clinics when he was at Tulsa. He also likes to use the Mills concept (Post on the outside, Dig by the slot) as well. One of the items I liked that we started doing in short yardage/red zone was the introduction of a rub route. 

Part of the reason you haven’t seen us attacking the middle that often is because of his over protective focus on reducing turnovers. That being said, when teams would leave that area of the field un protected, we have attacked there. Washington was a huge example of this as they set their safety extremely deep so we ran posts and deep slants and had great production out of it. Sadly our red zone perfomance continues to struggle when the run game is absent.

You should post more. 

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You should post more. 

We do not approve of logic on this forum.  I would prefer for us to continue to use every thread to discuss head coach replacements before the season has even started.  Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

A much more diplomatic way of saying it than mine was.

Interesting that you mention Tulsa. @bigbird has put forth the possibility that Gus might be trying to get back to those roots. Might not happen with Joey under center, but then again, maybe it could. Especially if the threat of Joey running opens stuff up downfield. If we have a healthy Stove and Hastings, then we are well positioned talent-wise to work linebackers to death Patriots-style. Not to mention a really, really poor man's version of- quick, somebody give me an alternative to Aaron Hernandez?- in Sal Canella. (Who was used effectively in that Washington game only to disappear from our offense like so many other things that work just fine everywhere else.)

Red zone. Man. We have *no* excuse not to be at least average in that department this year. None. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A much more diplomatic way of saying it than mine was.

Interesting that you mention Tulsa. @bigbird has put forth the possibility that Gus might be trying to get back to those roots. Might not happen with Joey under center, but then again, maybe it could. Especially if the threat of Joey running opens stuff up downfield. If we have a healthy Stove and Hastings, then we are well positioned talent-wise to work linebackers to death Patriots-style. Not to mention a really, really poor man's version of- quick, somebody give me an alternative to Aaron Hernandez?- in Sal Canella. (Who was used effectively in that Washington game only to disappear from our offense like so many other things that work just fine everywhere else.)

Red zone. Man. We have *no* excuse not to be at least average in that department this year. None. 

Why did you thumbs down my post?  I was agreeing (in a funny way) with aujeff that he should post more, who was in tandem reiterating what you said...

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Why did you thumbs down my post?  I was agreeing (in a funny way) with aujeff that he should post more, who was in tandem reiterating what you said...

Probably because the undertone jab you took would be my guess. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He is Brigadier General of the Bash Gus Brigade. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

It still didn't make sense to me as Loof was not one of those guys participating.  But yes I did jab at those doing it.  Every single football thread is being taken over by that.  It becomes repetitive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Gus supporters have tolerated far more cuts and jabs for supporting the program.  Board admin, mods minus red, board insiders etc all love to go bombs away on Gus and the football program. 

• Like 1

Exhibit A:

Find me one coach or player that shows up to work hoping to fail. Hoping for Music City Bowl. 

Couldn’t be any more distasteful of a post coming from an account that’s supposed to represent this board and the Auburn “family.”

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It still didn't make sense to me as Loof was not one of those guys participating.  But yes I did jab at those doing it.  Every single football thread is being taken over by that.  It becomes repetitive. 

The only thing more repetitive is you and other people with your "every thread turns into" whining. At least the folks you're complaining about are talking about Auburn football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gus supporters have tolerated far more cuts and jabs for supporting the program.  Board admin, mods minus red, board insiders etc all love to go bombs away on Gus and the football program. 

Hey, I am not picking sides! Just saying it was a jab. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The only thing more repetitive is you and other people with your "every thread turns into" whining. At least the folks you're complaining about are talking about Auburn football. 

Someone is in a bad mood.  Geez.  And I would strongly disagree.  Me, for instance, I have not posted much on the football side of the forum in the last few months.  I have focused on the recruiting forum, basketball forum, and NBA thread.  When I do, it is just to lighten the mood by posting something light-hearted or GIF-filled.  It is just not worth arguing about things that people cannot let go.  And we do have a right to complain if we did if people are continually derailing a thread.  Right now there are three threads talking about that.  Not one of those threads has the title of "head coach replacements."  And some of those folks you are referring to are just purely complaining.  So yeah it just does get tiring to read the same thing over and over.  It is not far-fetched.

Edited by abw0004

Just now, abw0004 said:

Someone is in a bad mood.  And I would strongly disagree.  Me, for instance, I have not posted much on the football side of the forum in the last few months.  I have focused on the recruiting, basketball, and NBA thread.  When I do, it is just to lighten the mood by posting something light-hearted or GIF-filled.  It is just not worth arguing about things that people cannot let go.  And we do have a right to complain if we did if people are continually derailing a thread.  Right now there are three threads talking about that.  Not one of those threads has the title of "head coach replacements."  And some of those folks you are referring to are just purely complaining.  So yeah it just does get tiring to read the same thing over and over.  It is not far-fetched.

Nah, I'm not in a bad mood. Just calling it like I see it. Maybe you're just feeling overly sensitive.

And don't play these "I'm here to make you laugh" and "I'm above arguing" cards. That's BS. If you're gonna take a shot, you need to be ready for a response. 

Feel free to complain all you want. We all have that right. Don't take it personally. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nah, I'm not in a bad mood. Just calling it like I see it. Maybe you're just feeling overly sensitive.  Calling someone a whiner is not like you, especially with someone who was also paying you a complement.

And don't play these "I'm here to make you laugh" and "I'm above arguing" cards. That's BS. If you're gonna take a shot, you need to be ready for a response.  Well I did play them, because it is 100% true.  Maybe in my earlier years on this forum I would have taken a dive and argued with people but it just isn't worth it.  The majority of people will not change their mind at this time of the year because only football games will do that.  Still 80 days away.  I'm not afraid of the response, never have been.  That's is why I have never hesitated to take the unpopular side, even if it takes heat.  

Feel free to complain all you want. We all have that right. Don't take it personally.  Again, not taken personally, just surprised more than anything the way your presented it.  You usually do it with more grace, which is why so many on here respect you, including me.  Always been able to have great discussions with you.  Just out of character, that's all.

No hard feelings.  Hope all is well.

Edited by abw0004

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

In some of these threads, there is only so much you can say about a topic. Otherwise, the topic dies, and the board has no hits. Some people complain (NOT saying you) complain, but add no quality to the topic at hand. They just lurk around and then post about the redirection of a forum, only to disappear again. I get what you are saying to an extent, but there are times when there is legitimately nothing else to talk about. We are at a place in the program, where it is a show me state. There is not enough clarity in the future or with the ball coach. There is hardly any excitement as well, just a lot of angst, which genuinely sucks that we, as some of the most loyal and supportive fans in the nation, have to deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

In some of these threads, there is only so much you can say about a topic. Otherwise, the topic dies, and the board has no hits. Some people complain (NOT saying you) complain, but add no quality to the topic at hand. They just lurk around and then post about the redirection of a forum, only to disappear again. I get what you are saying to an extent, but there are times when there is legitimately nothing else to talk about. We are at a place in the program, where it is a show me state. There is not enough clarity in the future or with the ball coach. There is hardly any excitement as well, just a lot of angst, which genuinely sucks that we, as some of the most loyal and supportive fans in the nation, have to deal with it.

And that makes 100% sense.  Honestly that is the reason why I haven't really posted on here much, except to check in on my hype video thread to see if I can add any new videos.  You are right, there isn't much to talk about.  If there were, usually it is a bad thing (commitments would be the exception) with someone getting arrested, transferring, etc.  If you remember in my earlier years on this forum, even back when you and I were at odds, I would respond to every little thing and go off into the rabbit holes.  It just gets tiring for me to talk about the same thing over and over.  To give an analogy, its tiring to see "reports" all over the news on which NBA player will sign where.  Some contradicting themselves the same day.  Let's just have free agency start and have the players speak for themselves.  Same here, let's have the season play out before we count the team and coaches out.