huge respect for coach grimes

aubiefifty

he inherited a mess last season and this year lots of folks are saying our o line will be a team strength this year. that is pretty amazing considering how bad we struggled a lot last year. props to coach and also to our kids for busting their butts and turning things around.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

he inherited a mess last season and this year lots of folks are saying our o line will be a team strength this year. that is pretty amazing considering how bad we struggled a lot last year. props to coach and also to our kids for busting their butts and turning things around.

Are people saying a team strength, fifty? Or improved from last yer?

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Are people saying a team strength, fifty? Or improved from last yer?

I’ve heard both. We won’t know till September. If it’s a strength we could be a contender. Not to minimize this season but if we can have a semi strong line in 2020 he has really earned his paycheck. 

both is what i heard...

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’ve heard both. We won’t know till September. If it’s a strength we could be a contender. Not to minimize this season but if we can have a semi strong line in 2020 he has really earned his paycheck. 

Agree...people outside of AU seem to be expecting our OL to be one of the best in the SEC....maybe based on a year of experience and everyone healthy this year.  

Just now, AU64 said:

Agree...people outside of AU seem to be expecting our OL to be one of the best in the SEC....maybe based on a year of experience and everyone healthy this year.  

Agreed. Folks will automatically pay attention to this many returning starters, and for good reason, even for a unit that under-performed the year prior. 

I need to see the middle of the line perform against Oregon before I say one of the best in the SEC.  Still should be better than last year.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I need to see the middle of the line perform against Oregon before I say one of the best in the SEC.  Still should be better than last year.

How it holds up against the Greenbay Leghumpers and Updykes is my litmus test. 

IIRC - our 2009 line got roughed up through the season, but brought everyone back for the 2010 run. It has been stated on here numerous times about how the total number of starts is a good indicator of future performance. I sure hope so. Center is what has me the most concerned.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I will withhold accolades about our oline until they line up against a legitimate 1st team defense instead of blocking a 2nd team oline.

i believe it was stated our o line went up against our first team d but i cannot remember who said it thus no link. maybe someone else might remember.

1 minute ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

There are a few former coaches & players who disagree with that completely...

ok so who is right and who is wrong? the beard was saying they were a team strength as well as gus. tell us what was said to change at least my mind. i would love to hear the opposing views.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

IMG_1790.GIF

1 hour ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

More than a few...

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

More than a few...

I hate anonymous sources....especially on the negative side....often people with an agenda I find.  :dunno:

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I hate anonymous sources....especially on the negative side....often people with an agenda I find.  :dunno:

I'm sorry you hate it. The truth doesn't pick sides and just because you dislike it, doesn't make it untrue.

And FTR, they're not anonymous to me. 😁

2 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

IIRC - our 2009 line got roughed up through the season, but brought everyone back for the 2010 run.

Not true. The 2007 OL class was arguably our best OL class ever. They performed very well in 2009.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm sorry you hate it. The truth doesn't pick sides and just because you dislike it, doesn't make it untrue.

And FTR, they're not anonymous to me. 😁

So what did they say? Are they "meh"? Are we awful? Are we screwed?

2 hours ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Disagree with what exactly?

Just now, bigbird said:

guess I figure people ought not to be afraid to take responsibility for what they have to say...

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

guess I figure people ought not to be afraid to take responsibility for what they have to say...

tenor.gif

14 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

So what did they say? Are they "meh"? Are we awful? Are we screwed?

Part of a conversation 1/2 way through spring practice:

Tega is easily our best lineman. Horton looks much better but center is still a big question. Depth is a huge issue if one of the tackles goes down.

They aren’t giving up free runners or getting pushed back like last season, but are not moving the PoA and are struggling moving to the 2nd level off of the double team. 

I guess I would say they were pretty "meh" on them. Potential, but not quite putting it together and still struggling with some of the simpler things.

The o-line is playing better as a unit has been what I have heard.  Last year there were several problems with this unit.  one being missed assignments, that is either on the coaches or the players.  Getting over powered inside.  Multiple factors here, we faced some damn good d-lineman, below average footwork with average athletic ability at best.  Plays that were slow developing by design did not help them either.  Tackles faced some very talented and fast ends, I thought they held their own.

The biggest issue is in recruiting and getting guys that fit the system.  I think the effort is solid/great from the o-lineman but I think we have some square pegs for round holes in this system.

Archived