huge respect for coach grimes

aubiefifty

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I understand your viewpoint. Anytime an Auburn team is playing you cheer for them and want them to win. I will never want an Auburn team to lose to get rid of the coach that said when the coach has had a long time to put his imprint on the program and it is not progressing at some point you have to look at changing the coach. I supported Gus for a long time and I respect him for much of what he does. Running a clean program, solid recruiting in a tough environment, players who like him and never quit even when things go wrong, realizing the D was bad and bringing in the coaches to turn our D around these are things to like about Gus. You have to look at the other side of Gus he came in with a great offensive system partly because it was new and different but as teams adjusted to his system and rules changes impacted his system he has not shown the ability to adjust. His O has become so predictable that I can usually call the next play before they even get into the huddle, he has brought in yes men on O and when he gave them some flexibility to call plays if it started to go well he usually intervened. On O he has not shown the ability to adjust to the defenses and to the type of players he has. Last year we had a great combination of receivers both possession and speed we had speed in the backfield.  We had an O-Line that was weak but he didn't call the types of plays to help the line out. 

I want Gus to adjust this year and have a great season , I want a great O-Line class this year so that when our team has a bad year after our whole O-line graduates we will only be down one year as we have done well recruiting other areas. I want all this but I don't expect it.  If we don't have both we should be looking for a new coach but like you in every game we play I will be pulling for Auburn with all my heart. 

I have almost 20,000 posts on this site and I should probably just go delete half of them now. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I have almost 20,000 posts on this site and I should probably just go delete half of them now. 

If it makes you feel any better, I only read every other post of yours. 😁

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I understand your viewpoint. Anytime an Auburn team is playing you cheer for them and want them to win. I will never want an Auburn team to lose to get rid of the coach that said when the coach has had a long time to put his imprint on the program and it is not progressing at some point you have to look at changing the coach. I supported Gus for a long time and I respect him for much of what he does. Running a clean program, solid recruiting in a tough environment, players who like him and never quit even when things go wrong, realizing the D was bad and bringing in the coaches to turn our D around these are things to like about Gus. You have to look at the other side of Gus he came in with a great offensive system partly because it was new and different but as teams adjusted to his system and rules changes impacted his system he has not shown the ability to adjust. His O has become so predictable that I can usually call the next play before they even get into the huddle, he has brought in yes men on O and when he gave them some flexibility to call plays if it started to go well he usually intervened. On O he has not shown the ability to adjust to the defenses and to the type of players he has. Last year we had a great combination of receivers both possession and speed we had speed in the backfield.  We had an O-Line that was weak but he didn't call the types of plays to help the line out. 

I want Gus to adjust this year and have a great season , I want a great O-Line class this year so that when our team has a bad year after our whole O-line graduates we will only be down one year as we have done well recruiting other areas. I want all this but I don't expect it.  If we don't have both we should be looking for a new coach but like you in every game we play I will be pulling for Auburn with all my heart. 

Do I want all this to happen? Sure! But like you, I don't expect it. And I think if we have a good year but our OL recruiting remains the same, Gus will stay on, and our OL recruiting will continue to crumble for another year after that.

No one forced him to keep Grimes another year...or re-hire him in the first place.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:33 PM, bigbird said:

Cue Mikey in 3...2...1...

I'm waiting for something worthy of comment and haven't seen it yet. The pack is losing its mojo.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I'm waiting for something worthy of comment and haven't seen it yet. The pack is losing its mojo.

IPOBku0fdIu7.gif

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I’m curious to know who you consider the pack . Haha 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I’m curious to know who you consider the pack . Haha 

The pack is anyone who has the temerity to suggest that Gus is performing at a level unworthy of the compensation that he is receiving and that Auburn could hire a coach that could do a better job than  the less-with-more results that we have mostly seen during Gus' tenure. In other words, those that consider Gus to be the Auburn equivalent of Mike Shula: a good guy that is representing the university with class but that is not the guy to keep us competitive with our rivals in the conference. Yes, I'm in that pack.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

The pack is anyone who has the temerity to suggest that Gus is performing at a level unworthy of the compensation that he is receiving and that Auburn could hire a coach that could do a better job than  the less-with-more results that we have mostly seen during Gus' tenure. In other words, those that consider Gus to be the Auburn equivalent of Mike Shula: a good guy that is representing the university with class but that is not the guy to keep us competitive with our rivals in the conference. Yes, I'm in that pack.

I don't think you even have to go as low as calling him Mike Shula. Even if you say that he's done literally everything right except knowing when to let somebody else call the plays, you're a hater, a whiner and a crybaby. Mikey might lack self-awareness, but at least he's a hypocrite. 

Speaking of Mike Shula, Cam won NFL MVP and got to a Super Bowl with Shula calling the plays. They had the top offense in the league that year and went 15-1. Except for not finishing the drill in the SB- they didn't have the good fortune of facing a Pac 12 defense- that sure seems at least equivalent to everything that Gus did in 2010. 

I guess Mike Shula "developed" Cam into an NFL superstar. Crazy. 

How it is EVERY DAY ON HERE when A WolfPack Member vs a Gus Bus Sunshine Pumper brigade occupant go at it and argue. lol 

rre.gif

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Me, You, MR @fredst and the Rest of the WolfPack!!!!! lol. 

snap.gif

west.gif

ww.gif

DUDE!!! YOU TOTALLY NAILED THIS! THAT’S ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALL-TIME MOVIES! WE’RE THE JETS! WOOOOO!!! LET’S GO!!!

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

DUDE!!! YOU TOTALLY NAILED THIS! THAT’S ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALL-TIME MOVIES! WE’RE THE JETS! WOOOOO!!! LET’S GO!!!

HAHAHAHA WOOOOOOO!!! YOU HEARD MR FRED LETS FREAKING GO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gif.jpg

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Me, You, MR @fredst and the Rest of the WolfPack!!!!! lol. 

snap.gif

west.gif

ww.gif

That pic in the middle reminds me of Slim Pickens and what he said about the dancing cowboys in Blazing Saddles! LOL!

6 minutes ago, cctiger said:

That pic in the middle reminds me of Slim Pickens and what he said about the dancing cowboys in Blazing Saddles! LOL!

ANOTHER CLASSIC MOVIE!!!!! hahaaha Love it cc!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO

J.B. Grimes: Auburn offensive line ready to play like alpha dogs

By Brandon Marcello 

SCOTTSBORO, Alabama — J.B. Grimes is not going to blow smoke screens to hide what’s happening on the field and in the offensive line’s meeting room at Auburn.

He said it in May of 2018 when he knew he didn’t quite know who would be starters, and whether they were ready to play in the SEC, let alone in the season opener against top-10 Washington.

“I knew it was going to take a while,” the veteran offensive line coach said Thursday. “When we played Washington, I really didn’t know what we were going to get.”

Slowly and surely, however, the offensive line improved. The Tigers failed to produce a 1,000-yard rusher for the first time in a decade. Injuries at both guard spots, along with flipping and switching of Kaleb Kim and Nick Brahms as starters at center because of injuries didn’t help matters.

But then Kim got healthy, and five players started to click along the offensive line.

“It actually took a little longer for me to get those guys playing as a cohesive unit, but around Game 7 we started playing pretty well and we had great carryover in the spring,” Grimes said before speaking to the Jackson County Auburn Club. “I thought those guys competed well and obviously every day we’re going against a very, very good defensive line — one of the best, if not the best, in the country. I’ll be honest with you: I felt like we held our own. We’ve gotten better.”

Simply put, a year under Grimes has made a heck of a difference. All five starters return along the offensive line, with one player he believes could be a first-round selection (left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho Jr.) leading the group. Facing off against one of the better defensive lines in the country has proven to be difficult and the ultimate learning experience.

“The biggest thing is the cohesiveness of the unit,” Grimes said. “We know we clearly have five starters right now and those guys take a lot of pride In knowing that. It’s clear and present. We know who the five starters are, and they take a lot of pride in the fact that, hey, we’re gonna line up, and guess what? We’re on scholarship, too. I know how it is out there when you have a bunch of alpha dogs on defense. They’re gonna try to go to the bathroom on every fire hydrant in town. The deal with me is, as far as being a line coach, you know what? We have some alpha dogs on our side of the ball, too, and we’re gonna play that way.”

Grimes believes three other players have a shot at making the NFL after the upcoming season: guard Marquel Harrell and Mike Horton, and right tackle Jack Driscoll.

Grimes is in the second year of his second stint coaching Auburn’s offensive line after leading the unit during Gus Malzahn’s first three seasons as the head coach (2013-15). The group was labeled as the strength of the offense by Malzahn after spring practices, a sentiment since echoed by offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham.

“Of course, from this time last year, it’s like night and day — and it should be,” Malzahn said. “They’re all back. Chemistry is extremely good. It really gave us a chance to be a lot more aggressive and do some different things and try some different things up front (in the spring).”

“I really like this offensive line, now,” Grimes said. “The guy that really kind of stepped forward in my mind, especially from a leadership standpoint and directing our offensive line and being vocal was Kaleb Kim. He stepped up and had a really good spring.”

Kim was benched early in the season due to injury, but returned to the lineup in late 2018. The Tigers’ offense improved, and Grimes knew one thing from that moment forward in late 2018: he wasn’t messing with his starters.

“We’re settled in,” Grimes said. “We have anointed Kaleb Kim. He is the guy. And we’ve told him that. You know what, that probably helped his confidence, it helped his leadership, being vocal and directing us. I was really proud of him in the spring.” 

Auburn rushed for 100 yards or more in each of its last four games, the best stretch of the season. For a time, it seemed like Auburn was finally back in its run, play-action groove. Auburn rushed for only 167.5 yards per game, which ranked 10th in the SEC for the season. It was the worst average of Malzahn’s tenure as head coach.

The question now is whether Auburn can return to rushing for 250-plus yards per game, a staple under Malzahn. The Tigers have ranked in the top half of the league in every season but 2018 under Malzahn. They have led the SEC twice and the country once during that time, too.

Might Auburn be on track to return to the past? The schedule and opposing defensive lines will be difficult in the fall. “But I think we could be one of those that could be in the top two or three in the league in rushing,” Grimes said.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, aubiefifty said:

he inherited a mess last season and this year lots of folks are saying our o line will be a team strength this year. that is pretty amazing considering how bad we struggled a lot last year. props to coach and also to our kids for busting their butts and turning things around.

Always enjoyed Coach Grimes. Came in the local convenience hang out by campus a few weeks ago on Saturday afternoon. Bought a big tall Miller Lite then decided he wanted to hang around and talk a bit. Very approachable and loves to talk football. Can see why guys like playing for him. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 7:24 PM, aujeff11 said:

I’m enjoying the 2016 highlight reel of AUfamily:

-SW is a God against inferior teams 

- Our WRs aren’t helping SW dang it!! I wish we could sacrifice one on the sideline. 

-Viper: Sean White sux

Everyone else: Shut up Viper!!

Aujeff11: I mean he is right. So..

A mod: You can compare SW’s running to Baker Mayfield. 

Aujeff11: Have you lost your bleeping mind?

Another mod: you’re on another vacation. 

Image result for you're out of order this whole place is out of order gif

are those cats snapping their fingers our new o line for this year?

On 5/8/2019 at 12:04 PM, triangletiger said:
See the source image

The Rat Pack was awesome indeed! Too bad many of them have gone on.

Archived