Austin Wiley undergoes surgery

GwillMac6

• WarTiger changed the title to Austin Wiley undergoes surgery

Get him healthy, get him right and hopefully he finishes his AU career with a bang. If he stays, that is. He may be tired of getting injured for free and try his hand at making some money while his body still allows him to.

When I saw that he had surgery I went into panic mode then when I saw it was his thumb and not one of his legs I actually has a sigh of relief. Thumb surgery won't affect his conditioning over spring and summer and usually takes 4-6 weeks to completely heal. I really want to see a healthy Wiley at Auburn next year with the people leaving and the influx of new talent I believe we will be more balanced and we will need an inside presence both offensively and defensively and he can be that person.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, oracle79 said:

That should help his ball control.:D

Explains it all!

Playing with a broken thumb would definitely make it hard to catch that low post pass.

Now don't you all feel bad for calling him out?  

There are things going on with these young athletes that fans don't know about. That's why it's wrong to be so mean spirited.....

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I really want to see a healthy Wiley at Auburn next year with the people leaving and the influx of new talent I believe we will be more balanced and we will need an inside presence both offensively and defensively and he can be that person.

I like Wiley and think he has a lot of potential. I just think it won't get realized at AU. He needs a big man coach to help develop his post moves and awareness. Him at AU sorta feels like pairing Lamarcus Aldridge and James Harden together. I think Bruce's scheme needs a big man more in the mold of a Clint Capella, Steven Adams, or Rudy Gobert. An athletic, tireless rebounder and rim protector that is a good low-post passer and is more of a facilitator on offense.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I just think it won't get realized at AU. He needs a big man coach to help develop his post moves

This ^^^^  and working out against smaller guys in practice is not helping his toughness either.   Maybe it's the injuries that have limited his growth....but another year at AU is not gonna get him NBA ready. JMO

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I like Wiley and think he has a lot of potential. I just think it won't get realized at AU. He needs a big man coach to help develop his post moves and awareness. Him at AU sorta feels like pairing Lamarcus Aldridge and James Harden together. I think Bruce's scheme needs a big man more in the mold of a Clint Capella, Steven Adams, or Rudy Gobert. An athletic, tireless rebounder and rim protector that is a good low-post passer and is more of a facilitator on offense.

Yup. Every time he caught the ball in the post and ended up taking a shot from 3-4 feet further away from where he caught it just showed he's not getting the inside coaching that he needs. I would love to see Austin start drawing some charges next season because he's just trying to abuse people with his size and strength.

I wish he’d just use some really basic faints and fakes to get guys off their feet. Then he could jump into contact. But he less free throws per minute this past season than he did in his half season as a true frosh/high school player. Something happened where his post moves kind of regressed. 

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

You are probably right but there aren't to many teams that utilize the old style big man. Wiley was born 20 years to late. That said there are some basic move that any big man can learn on his own,. Things like a quick drop step, little turn into defender enough for some contact but not enough for an offensive foul then little fall away bank shot form 10 feet. You can't be right under the board to do a bank shot. I notice Wiley often posts up to low leaving him very few options.  That said I also think the guards in our offense don't look to setup players down low. Towards the end of the season you saw a little more of those type passes to Chuma and he was very effective because his moves were to quick for big defenders and he rose over small defenders. 

The other issue is when we did pass the ball down low to Wiley we seldom had a player cut down the lane for a pass preventing a quick double team on Wiley. Agree that our offense is not ideal for Wiley but I think some of that is he was never healthy long enough to develop a rhythm and for the other players to trust getting him the ball down low.  In Hawaii before he got hurt we saw some of what he could do on offense.

14 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I wish he’d just use some really basic faints and fakes to get guys off their feet. Then he could jump into contact. But he less free throws per minute this past season than he did in his half season as a true frosh/high school player. Something happened where his post moves kind of regressed. 

Injuries and he lost his rhythm and timing because of those injuries. In sports muscle memory goes a long way. You do it without thinking, when you have to stop and think about it you lose your game. When you are out and can't practice you lose that muscle memory and it takes time to get it back.

One thing I noticed, and it might have been covered already, was him bringing the ball down to his waist where smaller players could swat at it. Instead he should keep it head high and then power to the basket. 

On 4/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, toddc said:

One thing I noticed, and it might have been covered already, was him bringing the ball down to his waist where smaller players could swat at it. Instead he should keep it head high and then power to the basket. 

Alot of the things we're suggesting he should do probably would get eased out on a staff with a low post assistant. Im not saying we need to hire one because it just doesnt matter in this offense, but a ton of our guys are very not skilled back to the basket. 

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Alot of the things we're suggesting he should do probably would get eased out on a staff with a low post assistant. Im not saying we need to hire one because it just doesnt matter in this offense, but a ton of our guys are very not skilled back to the basket. 

We SHOULD go after Adam Harrington now.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

In This offense our ideal big is a guy like A Mac who shoots it at 35-38% (as opposed to low 30% ish which is what I think Mac shot it from deep this year) from three and is about 2-3 inches taller. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

In This offense our ideal big is a guy like A Mac who shoots it at 35-38% (as opposed to 28% which is what I think Mac shot it from deep this year) from three and is about 2-3 inches taller. 

Could be but we need some muscle and toughness...and AW has the body to be that guy.....somebody needs to protect the basket from guys like Williams and Silva and guys like that.    So who is that gonna be now that Spencer and Dunbar are gone?    It's not Amac.     JMO but we are a soft team until someone takes the role of enforcer and defender.

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be but we need some muscle and toughness...and AW has the body to be that guy.....somebody needs to protect the basket from guys like Williams and Silva and guys like that.    So who is that gonna be now that Spencer and Dunbar are gone?    It's not Amac.     JMO but we are a soft team until someone takes the role of enforcer and defender.

That is not our identity. We beat you with quickness, athleticism and the 3 point shot. Having bigs that shoot the three well and space the floor was one of the main reasons we were a matchup nightmare for teams these past 2 seasons. A team like us scares me way more than playing against someone who is more "traditional". If you mean we need guys who are BACKUPS to step in to the horace and Malik role than absolutely. The 3 point shot is the great equalizer and Bruce has figured that out better than almost anyone in college basketball. O and BTW you must be forgetting how A Mac was before his bad injury last year. He was absolutely a enforcer and and a rim protector who brought toughness. A Mac is the best shot blocker we have had since Kyle Davis. I expect THAT Mac to be the one we see next season. Your first season back you are not the same. It is usually that second season back where you return to normal. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

In This offense our ideal big is a guy like A Mac who shoots it at 35-38% (as opposed to low 30% ish which is what I think Mac shot it from deep this year) from three and is about 2-3 inches taller. 

My post was just to explain why AW’s post ability is inconsistent. Obv we rather have a brook lopez type though 

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Who is that? 

lol ohhhhhhhhh Rigby. You still need a deep dive tutorial to make up for all the memorable players you missed through the years. Former Auburn basketball player. Was pretty freaking good. Averaged 15 a game his junior year here. Used to be Kevin Durant and The Brodies personal trainer for awhile. Left that job because the Brooklyn Nets hired him as a Assistant coach. 

adam.jpg

brodie.jpg

nets.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My post was just to explain why AW’s post ability is inconsistent. Obv we rather have a brook lopez type though 

That is a PERFECT example for the type of skill set we need out of our bigs. I LOVE IT!

51 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is not our identity. We beat you with quickness, athleticism and the 3 point shot. Having bigs that shoot the three well and space the floor was one of the main reasons we were a matchup nightmare for teams these past 2 seasons. A team like us scares me way more than playing against someone who is more "traditional". If you mean we need guys who are BACKUPS to step in to the horace and Malik role than absolutely. The 3 point shot is the great equalizer and Bruce has figured that out better than almost anyone in college basketball. O and BTW you must be forgetting how A Mac was before his bad injury last year. He was absolutely a enforcer and and a rim protector who brought toughness. A Mac is the best shot blocker we have had since Kyle Davis. I expect THAT Mac to be the one we see next season. Your first season back you are not the same. It is usually that second season back where you return to normal. 

JMO...the teams that beat us usually do it inside and A Mac is not going to do it standing outside shooting 3s.  All AW needs is some attitude and guys like Silva won't own the inside against us.

Archived