2019 NPF Draft

Congrats to Kendall Veach #7 overall pick; Casey McCrakin #12 overall pick; Morgan Podany, #17 overall; Bree Fornis #22 overall, all to Beijing; and Makayla Martin #23 overall to Cleveland. 

I think it must be said that Hunter Veach is the coach of the Beijing Eagles, but this is still great for Auburn. 

Also, that makes 9 AU players in the pros (if Martin signs... I´m assuming the other 4 will because Hunter should have a good idea of their interest). 

6 on Beijing Eagles - Angel Bunner, Victoria Draper, Kendall Veach, Casey McCrackin, Morgan Podany, Bree Fornis

3 on Cleveland Comets - Emily Carosone, Jade Rhodes, Makayla Martin

The reason I brought up whether or not Makayla would sign is because Kaylee Carlson was drafted last year and did not sign. The league doesn´t pay much, and many of these girls have already made plans for after college softball is over. Other examples of Auburn players who didn´t work out with the NPF would be Branndi Melero and Morgan Estell. 

49 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

I'm wondering who the other coach is for the Eagles given the fact that the Chinese team didn't end up training in Opelika.....

To my knowledge, Corey Myers is coaching the Chinese national team. They upset Australia and Japan and won the Asia Pacific Cup back in February. Hunter is his assistant. 

Hunter is the head coach of the Beijing Eagles in the pro league, but I don't think Corey is involved. 

• 1 month later...

there really doesn't appear to be much financial gain in a pro softball career, but the opportunity to travel on someone else's dime might be worth a few years of it ...

19 hours ago, wildling said:

6 games in, no "just graduated" seniors nor Victoria Draper have appeared this year for the Eagles.

Actually Draper was a pinch runner and Veach a pinch hitter in the first game....but very, very limited.  None of the others signed and already had jobs lined up.

57 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Actually Draper was a pinch runner and Veach a pinch hitter in the first game....but very, very limited.  None of the others signed and already had jobs lined up.

Ahh you're correct, they didn't bother adding either of them to the roster or stats page on the NPF website.

The Eagles are basically a development team for the Chinese National Team. The American players are really there to help with development and fill in any holes. I haven’t kept up with the games, but it’s possible AU alum Angel Bunner may pitch as well.

Archived