Projected depth chart to end spring practice

aubiefifty

Projected 2019 Auburn depth chart to end spring practice

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com | Posted April 16, 2019 at 07:00 AM

0 shares

0 Comments

Auburn wrapped up spring practice over the weekend with its annual A-Day spring game, which was the culmination of 15 practices this spring. The annual scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium provided the closest look to date at what the 2019 iteration of the Tigers will look like, and while there are still some questions lingering heading into the summer -- most importantly, at quarterback -- we have a clearer picture of how the team will look when it opens fall camp in August. 

With spring in the rearview mirror, here's AL.com's projected 2019 Auburn depth chart.

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Projected offensive depth chart

Quarterback

Joey Gatewood, redshirt freshman OR

Bo Nix, freshman

Malik Willis, junior

Cord Sandberg, redshirt freshman

Breakdown: Auburn's four-man quarterback race appears to be a two-man competition heading into the summer, with Gatewood and Nix taking a step ahead of the pack this spring -- something that was evident on A-Day, when they were the only two to work with the first-team offense in the first half, with each given nearly equal reps with that unit. Both looked sharp, though Nix did throw an interception in the third quarter.

Running back

Boobee Whitlow, redshirt sophomore

Kam Martin, senior

Shaun Shivers, sophomore* OR

D.J. Williams, freshman

Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman

Malik Miller, redshirt junior

*Shivers did not participate in spring practice while focusing on track and field.

Breakdown: Whitlow, the leading returning rusher from last year, appears in line to again be the top running back, but new position coach Cadillac Williams has an abundance of options in the backfield. The most surprising turn this spring was from Williams, the true freshman who impressed throughout practices and had a solid performance on A-Day. Williams should find a role out of the backfield this season. 

H-back/tight end

John Samuel Shenker, redshirt sophomore

Spencer Nigh, senior

Tyler Fromm, freshman

Luke Deal, freshman*

*Deal tore his ACL in December and did not participate in spring practice.

Breakdown: Auburn has done its best to consolidate the H-back and tight end positions into one this offseason, and Shenker fits the role perfectly. He saw time at both and was also targeted three times (four, if you include a touchdown that was negated on a penalty). Nigh provides a more traditional blocking option for the Tigers, while Fromm provides some depth as an early enrollee who continues to develop as a blocker and receiver.

Split end receiver

Seth Williams, sophomore

Marquis McClain, redshirt junior

Kolbi Fuqua, redshirt freshman*

*Fuqua entered the transfer portal this spring but remained with the team and participated in A-Day

Flanker receiver

Anthony Schwartz, sophomore* OR

Eli Stove, redshirt junior

Matthew Hill, redshirt freshman

Shedrick Jackson, sophomore

*Schwartz did not participate in spring practice while focusing on track and field.

Slot receiver

Matthew Hill, redshirt freshman

Will Hastings, redshirt senior*

*Hastings was limited throughout spring while recovering from a second ACL surgery, but he was fully cleared on A-Day, though he did not play in the spring game.

Big slot receiver

Sal Cannella, senior OR

Marquis McClain, redshirt junior

Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman

Breakdown: Auburn's receivers are largely interchangeable, with most being able to play outside or inside. This is a talented group this season, with Williams leading the pack and showing as much during his offensive MVP performance on A-Day. Stove appears to be close to 100 percent, and he and Schwartz will vie for opportunities at flanker and on jet sweeps. Hill was a breakout star this spring after redshirting last season, while McClain was praised throughout and may have finally turned the corner heading into his redshirt junior season. Joiner, meanwhile, provides an intriguing option in the slot while also being able to play out of the backfield as a running back.

Left tackle

Prince Tega Wanogho Jr., redshirt senior 

Bailey Sharp, redshirt senior

Alec Jackson, redshirt sophomore

Left guard

Marquel Harrell, redshirt senior

Tashawn Manning, redshirt sophomore

Kameron Stutts, redshirt freshman

Center

Kaleb Kim, redshirt senior

Nick Brahms, redshirt sophomore

Jalil Irvin, redshirt freshman

Right guard

Mike Horton, redshirt senior

Brodarious Hamm, redshirt sophomore

Right tackle

Jack Driscoll, senior

Austin Troxell, redshirt sophomore

Prince Michael Sammons, redshirt junior

Breakdown: Auburn's offensive line is miles ahead of where it was this time last year, and that's to be expected with five seniors returning with the starting unit. Even then, the second-team offensive line looks much improved from the group that backed up the starters last year. If Auburn can get solid line play this fall, it will go a long way toward solving a lot of the team's offensive woes from 2018.

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Projected defensive depth chart

Buck defensive end

Nick Coe, redshirt junior OR

TD Moultry, junior

Richard Jibunor, sophomore

Derick Hall, freshman

Defensive tackle

Derrick Brown, senior

Daquan Newkirk, redshirt junior*

Gary Walker, senior

*Newkirk did not participate in spring for the second straight season due to a foot injury

Defensive tackle

Tyrone Truesdell, junior OR

Nick Coe, redshirt junior

Coynis Miller, sophomore

Defensive end

Marlon Davidson, senior

Big Kat Bryant, junior

Colby Wooden, freshman

Caleb Johnson, redshirt freshman

Breakdown: Auburn's defensive line will again be the strength of the team, especially after Brown, Davidson and Coe all opted to return. Coe is the most intriguing option along the line, because while he started at Buck last season, he moved around throughout the spring, seeing time at tackle and end. His versatility gives Auburn options, of course. Moultry could start at Buck if Auburn moves Coe inside or to end at times, while Truesdell seems primed to fill the void left by Dontavius Russell. Jibunor and Bryant will continue to see their roles grow as pass-rushers, as well.

Strongside linebacker

Chandler Wooten, junior*

Zakoby McClain, sophomore

Michael Harris, redshirt freshman

*Wooten left A-Day with a right knee injury, the extent of which is not yet known.

Middle linebacker

KJ Britt, junior

Chandler Wooten, junior

Michael Harris, redshirt freshman

Weakside linebacker

Zakoby McClain, sophomore

Owen Pappoe, freshman

Josh Marsh, redshirt freshman

Breakdown: The biggest question mark on Auburn's defense this spring was the linebacker corps after graduating three starters. Britt has taken command of the group and is in line to take over for Deshaun Davis, while Wooten will back him up at middle linebacker and see time on the strong-side. McClain impressed this spring with his range and hard-hitting ability, while Pappoe -- the former five-star prospect -- has elite speed and will fit in nicely as the fourth linebacker in the rotation.

Right cornerback

Noah Igbinoghene, junior

Roger McCreary, sophomore

Traivon Leonard, junior

Nickelback

Christian Tutt, sophomore

Jordyn Peters, junior*

Zion Puckett, freshman

*Peters missed spring due to a foot injury

Free safety

Jeremiah Dinson, redshirt senior

Smoke Monday, sophomore*

Malcolm Askew, redshirt sophomore

*Monday was limited this spring due to a shoulder injury and did not participate in A-Day.

Strong safety

Daniel Thomas, senior

Jamien Sherwood, sophomore

Left cornerback

Javaris Davis, redshirt senior

Devan Barrett, junior

Breakdown: Auburn is set at safety after returning its entire two-deep on the back end, while the Tigers had some reshuffling at the cornerback spots. While Igbinoghene should continue to improve in his second season at corner (and taking over as the top corner in the secondary), Davis moved back to corner after spending most of last year at nickel. That opened things up for Tutt to take over at the slot, while he'll have Peters to help once he returns from a foot injury that sidelined him all spring. Barrett, who has finally settled in at corner and got a full spring of work at the position, will provide depth behind Davis.

Julie Bennett/AL.com

Projected special teams depth chart

Kicker

Anders Carlson, redshirt sophomore

Sage Ledbetter, redshirt junior

Holder

Sage Ledbetter, redshirt junior

Arryn Siposs, junior

Long snapper

Bill Taylor, redshirt sophomore

Clarke Smith, redshirt junior

Punter

Arryn Siposs, junior

Kick returners

Noah Igbinoghene, junior AND

Boobee Whitlow, redshirt sophomore

Anthony Schwartz, sophomore* AND

Shaun Shivers, sophomore*

*Schwartz and Shivers did not participate in spring practices while focusing on track and field.

Punt returners

Christian Tutt, sophomore OR

Matthew Hill, redshirt freshman OR

Eli Stove, redshirt junior

Breakdown: Auburn's special teams are in much better shape than this time last year, when the Tigers had to replace their kicker, punter, long snapper and more. Now the Tigers have continuity with Carlson, Taylor and Siposs, while Ledbetter will likely take over as holder. The kick returner jobs should be the same as last season, when Igbinoghene and Whitlow were the two main guys back deep, while the punt returner job is still up in the air following the departure of Ryan Davis.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

sorry guys i know it is awful.com but i thought folks would want to see it anyway

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

sorry guys i know it is awful.com but i thought folks would want to see it anyway

Thank you for posting! This one has some meat to it. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Thank you for posting! This one has some meat to it. 

i just got lucky then but i try hard.........lol

why thanks dag. oh wait you were not refering to me.....lol. morning

is it just me, or are we paper thin at DT?  

I didn't realize we had such little depth

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I dunno if I'd say paper thin. Coe and Davidson can both play inside, especially on passing downs. (Granted, Davidson might not much, if at all, but he can.) 

Truesdell, Coe and Miller are a fantastic rotation at one spot.

The other spot is equally fantastic if DB stays healthy. Can't say I know much about Walker but Newkirk should be a solid second guy in. 

And don't forget about Handy and Moore coming in. They are both very talented 4* inside/outside guys. If either or both of them pan out, then we should be very comfortable. 

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Right cornerback

Noah Igbinoghene, junior

Roger McCreary, sophomore

Traivon Leonard, junior

Nickelback

Christian Tutt, sophomore

Jordyn Peters, junior*

Zion Puckett, freshman

*Peters missed spring due to a foot injury

Free safety

Jeremiah Dinson, redshirt senior

Smoke Monday, sophomore*

Malcolm Askew, redshirt sophomore

*Monday was limited this spring due to a shoulder injury and did not participate in A-Day.

Strong safety

Daniel Thomas, senior

Jamien Sherwood, sophomore

Left cornerback

Javaris Davis, redshirt senior

Devan Barrett, junior

That looks precarious. After moving Sheffield to WR and losing Cam'ron, what's left of our nice DB class will all need to pan out. FWIW, I think ZP could end up being our best signee from last year. 

That said, we have to sign two elite safeties this class. That would gives us Smoke and Sherwood as Juniors while the two new ones develop. If not, we'll be back to where we were with only two safeties on the roster.

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Don't forget about the incoming freshmen

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

That looks precarious. After moving Sheffield to WR and losing Cam'ron, what's left of our nice DB class will all need to pan out. FWIW, I think ZP could end up being our best signee from last year. 

That said, we have to sign two elite safeties this class. That would gives us Smoke and Sherwood as Juniors while the two new ones develop. If not, we'll be back to where we were with only two safeties on the roster.

I’m hopeful they’ll move Sheffield back to defensive back! We have an embarrassment of riches at wr.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, McLoofus said:

I dunno if I'd say paper thin. Coe and Davidson can both play inside, especially on passing downs. (Granted, Davidson might not much, if at all, but he can.) 

Truesdell, Coe and Miller are a fantastic rotation at one spot.

The other spot is equally fantastic if DB stays healthy. Can't say I know much about Walker but Newkirk should be a solid second guy in. 

And don't forget about Handy and Moore coming in. They are both very talented 4* inside/outside guys. If either or both of them pan out, then we should be very comfortable. 

yup; I totally forgot about the freshman.   Sometimes I am a knucklehead.   Nobody needs to quote this and dogpile...well, nah - you don't, I already know it.   

Thanks for the reminder.

Archived