5 players who gained, lost most

aubiefifty

........... during spring practice 2019

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com | Posted April 17, 2019 at 07:00 AM

9-12 minutes

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Which Auburn players gained, lost the most during spring practice?

Auburn wrapped up spring practice over the weekend with its annual A-Day spring game, which was the culmination of 15 practices over a four-week span. This week, the Tigers' coaching staff will hold exit interviews with players as they head into the summer months and the team's offseason conditioning program.

A lot was learned over the course of the last month, and some questions still remain before the 2019 season opener against Oregon. Several players took advantage of the spring season, while others saw their stock take a hit. Here's a look at which five players gained and lost the most during spring practices:

Gained: Joey Gatewood, quarterback

Joey Gatewood's development and maturation over the last year has been impressive, to say the least. He went from redshirting last season, appearing in just one game -- mop-up duty against Purdue in the Music City Bowl -- to one of the front-runners for the starting quarterback job heading into the summer. Gatewood was lauded throughout the spring for his renewed confidence and overall progress as a quarterback, and it showed on A-Day, when he received the first first-team reps and completed 8-of-12 passes for 130 yards and a pair of touchdowns. That's to say nothing of his rushing ability -- which was only on display during one scrimmage this spring when the quarterbacks went live against the defense -- which prompted teammates to make more Cam Newton comparisons, much to Gatewood's chagrin.

Gained: Bo Nix, quarterback

Bo Nix arrived on campus with no shortage of hype as a five-star prospect, the reigning Alabama Mr. Football winner and the son of Auburn great Patrick Nix. The freshman has, to this point, lived up to it while positioning himself to compete with Gatewood for the starting quarterback job. What started as a four-man competition in Practice 1 has turned into a two-man race between the freshmen, as evidenced by the snap distribution on A-Day. Nix, along with Gatewood, worked with the first-team offense in the all-important first half. He finished the game 11-of-17 passing for 155 yards and a pair of touchdowns, as well as an interception.

Josh Bean/jbean@al.com

Gained: Matthew Hill, wide receiver

Matthew Hill was a top-100 prospect and the Tigers' top receiver signee in the 2018 class, but he redshirted last season while appearing in just four games, notching two carries and failing to record a reception. This spring, however, he surged -- and he could provide Auburn with an immediate replacement for Ryan Davis, the program's all-time leader in receptions. Hill put his speed, shiftiness and play-making ability on display throughout the spring, capping it with a strong A-Day showing. He led all receivers in yards (128), receptions (five) and tied for the lead in touchdown catches (two). He'll have a chance to secure the starting job in the slot come fall camp.

Gained: Harold Joiner, running back/receiver

Harold Joiner was another highly touted 2018 signee who redshirted last season but took the next step forward this spring. Auburn went from wanting to use him as an H-back/tight end to a versatile playmaker at running back and receiver -- with Gus Malzahn wanting to utilize Joiner in a similar manner to how the Tigers used Kerryon Johnson during his freshman season in 2015. It showed on A-Day, when Joiner lined up in the backfield and in the slot, finishing with six carries for 21 yards and three receptions for 28 yards as Auburn tried to use him in a two-back set offensively. In a short span, Joiner essentially went from a player with no real defined role to one whose versatility could be an intriguing weapon for the Tigers this fall.

Gained: D.J. Williams, running back

It has been a whirlwind several months for D.J. Williams, who went from an under-recruited three star who seemed bound for Appalachian State to a hot commodity late in the recruiting process -- earning a fourth star and picking up offers from most major programs -- before signing with Auburn in December. As an early enrollee, Williams made the most of his first semester on campus, impressing coaches and teammates alike this spring, with fellow running back Kam Martin describing him as a "beast" after A-Day. Williams ran with a purpose during the spring game, totaling 57 yards on 11 carries, and doing enough to likely earn himself a role out of the backfield this fall. He'll be behind Boobee Whitlow and Martin, but he could be next in line there along with Shaun Shivers as the Tigers continue to use multiple backs.

Lost: Malik Willis, quarterback

Malik Willis went from Auburn's top backup quarterback the last two seasons and the next in line at the position heading into the spring to the outside looking in for the Tigers' starting job. As the most veteran option at quarterback on the roster, Willis opened the spring with the first reps with the first-team offense, but he finished A-Day as the apparent third man in the pecking order, based on snap distribution during the spring game. While Willis looked solid in his opportunities on A-Day, completing 9-of-10 passes for 95 yards and a touchdown, he fell behind both Gatewood and Nix this spring.

Lost: Malik Miller, running back

Malik Miller was already fourth on the depth chart at running back entering the spring, but with the emergence of D.J. Williams and the incorporation of Harold Joiner into the backfield, the redshirt junior has fallen further down the depth chart. He also packed on 19 pounds this offseason and is up to 235, making him by far the heaviest running back on the roster -- which could be a concern considering he didn't possess breakaway speed at his playing weight of 216 last season.

Josh Bean/jbean@al.com

Lost: Chandler Wooten, linebacker

Chandler Wooten makes this list largely due to the knee injury he sustained on A-Day. While it's not expected to be serious, it's still a setback for the junior linebacker, who was the only player to get injured during the spring game. He's still in line to be the top strong-side linebacker, though with Auburn typically running a two-linebacker formation on defense, he might not technically be a starter -- those roles should fall to KJ Britt at middle linebacker and Zakoby McClain at weakside linebacker. Wooten will also see time at middle linebacker behind Britt, and he'll certainly be a key piece of the linebacker rotation this season regardless.

Vasha Hunt/AP Photo

Lost: Jordyn Peters, defensive back

Jordyn Peters missed all of spring due to a foot injury that left him in a cast and getting around on scooters. It was a tough break for the junior defensive back, who would've been vying for the starting nickelback job. With Peters sidelined, though, sophomore Christian Tutt stepped up into that role and has the inside track for the starting job heading into fall.

Tom Green/tgreen@al.com

Lost: Daquan Newkirk, defensive tackle

Daquan Newkirk also makes this list because of injury, missing all of spring practice for the second straight year due to a lower-body injury. Last year, Newkirk tore his Achilles tendon on the eve of spring practice, and this year he was sidelined by a foot injury that left him in a cast and moving around via scooter like Peters. While Newkirk will still have a role in the rotation at defensive tackle -- where Auburn like to rotate a lot but doesn't have as much depth as it does on the ends -- when he returns to the fold, missing spring for two straight seasons is tough in terms of his overall development and reps. 

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks

Some important players missed the spring practice because of injury...or track participation. 

Assuming they are back for the fall, overall team depth and quality should be improved by the time the first game is played.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks

Some important players missed the spring practice because of injury...or track participation. 

Assuming they are back for the fall, overall team depth and quality should be improved by the time the first game is played.

thank you for the comp 64. i enjoy you as a poster and a fellow auburn fan.

Someone with more football knowledge than me can answer this but would moving Malik Miller to FB/HB make sense?  I don’t recall how good of a blocker he is but he has great hands and certainly knows the running plays.  That Prosch/Cox position is so important in a Gus offense and I worry we don’t have a bruiser to make those blocks.  Nigh maybe?  Guy from Arizona State?

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Someone with more football knowledge than me can answer this but would moving Malik Miller to FB/HB make sense?  I don’t recall how good of a blocker he is but he has great hands and certainly knows the running plays.  That Prosch/Cox position is so important in a Gus offense and I worry we don’t have a bruiser to make those blocks.  Nigh maybe?  Guy from Arizona State?

I thought this same thing while watching him on A-Day. Just doesn't make sense to be handing the ball to him anywhere outside of the 5 yard line or a short yardage situation when you want a big body RB. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

The main reason he played as much as he did last year was because he was the best (blocking back/short yardage) we had during obvious passing downs. Maybe the coaches wanted him to gain some weight so he could better take on a blocking role! I can’t imagine him coming into spring practice so much over his playing weight of last season otherwise.

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

The main reason he played as much as he did last year was because he was the best (blocking back/short yardage) we had during obvious passing downs. Maybe the coaches wanted him to gain some weight so he could better take on a blocking role! I can’t imagine him coming into spring practice so much over his playing weight of last season otherwise.

It’s good to be a dependent blocker but he would be a give away to the defense. He was big enough without the 19 pounds. I liked having him as a dependable player but he didn’t need to get slower and he did. Unless he could gain 30 more and play center he needs Jenny Craig.like me.

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

It’s good to be a dependent blocker but he would be a give away to the defense. He was big enough without the 19 pounds. I liked having him as a dependable player but he didn’t need to get slower and he did. Unless he could gain 30 more and play center he needs Jenny Craig.like me.

I’m talking about him taking the Cox role on offense.

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

I’m talking about him taking the Cox role on offense.

He was already big enough for that. I think. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks

Completely agree with this on the track.  I think especially for Shivers. I could easily see DJ Williams getting the third rotation spot behind KM and Boobie.

17 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Completely agree with this on the track.  I think especially for Shivers. I could easily see DJ Williams getting the third rotation spot behind KM and Boobie.

I could more easily see Shivers taking Martin's spot. Not a shot at Martin, btw. 

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I've said since before he got here that Miller could have a role at RB, but this news about 19 lbs gained- now that we have a couple more prototypical guys and don't necessarily need a big body just to have one- isn't good for his chances there. I'd love to see him find a role but he might be stuck in no-man's land between prototype RB and lane-clearing FB.

And I fear Kam Martin might be on the other side of that, stuck between prototype RB and McCalebb/Grant/Shivers speed freak. I still think he has the frame and the skills to be a deadly weapon, but I just don't know if that will work in this offense. Seems it already would have at some point. 

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I could more easily see Shivers taking Martin's spot. Not a shot at Martin, btw. 

Could be, but missing the spring does not help him do that , IMO

3 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Could be, but missing the spring does not help him do that , IMO

No argument here. 

My thoughts are just that, thoughts. No hard info to back it up. I just see Shivers being a very special guy who possesses a lot of the mental qualities that Gus likes and that are conducive to winning. I think he and Schwartz showed enough last year that the staff has a good idea how they can contribute (and that they can, in fact, contribute).

Williams might be that kind of guy, too. No reason not to think otherwise. 

I'm excited about the RB corps almost every season, but this seems like a hell of a group. 

Oh, also, if dangling that track/two-sport carrot is how we get world class athletes on our football team, then see you in the summer, Olympians. 

I wanna see Shivers get 6-7 touches a game. Kid can be an electric game changer for us if given the opportunity!

Kam is going to have to learn how to run through a hole and not in a straight line into the offensive line.  He did it again at A day.  He’s got blazing speed but zero vision.  Boobie is great about being patient and waiting for the hole to open up (if it does).  Boobie, Worm, and DJ will be great options this year not to mention the kid who isn’t even on campus yet.

It doesn’t matter what any of the backs do . Worm is head and shoulders above every back on the roster . Worm is a next level back . No question 

22 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Kam is going to have to learn how to run through a hole and not in a straight line into the offensive line.  

Amazing that he had zero "vision" issues when he was younger with zero experience. Typically a back that is stronger, faster, and has 3 years of experience doesn't regress to levels lower than where they began. So I wonder what must've occurred to cause such inversive growth.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Amazing that he had zero "vision" issues when he was younger with zero experience. Typically a back that is stronger, faster, and has 3 years of experience doesn't regress to levels lower than where they began. So I wonder what must've occurred to cause such inversive growth.

I’d say one of the biggest things would probably be OL quality.  I can’t speak on coaching or anything else.  

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I don’t think it is vision as much as it is patience. He’s not a shifty runner like some of our talented backs in the past. His talent is hitting holes quickly, but that running style doesn’t exactly breed patience in waiting for something to open up. With a good OL, I think KM would do really well. He’d hit the hole quickly and take a lot of runs to the house. Unfortunately, out OL hasn’t played that well, hence... diminished playing time and unimpressive runs.

I think I’d use KM late in games. Feed Boobie until the other team is tired, then send Kam in to run outrun everyone through open holes.

I am excited about Bro Hamm reshaping his body this off season.  

I think Boobie, DJ are gonna lock in the top 2 spots.   Shivers is a bit of a wild card, he did well on his "trick" plays but otherwise he was impatient as a runner and left lots of yards out there. If he fine tunes that, he can jump up.  Kmart will get his snaps because Gus trusts him, but if the  other guys keepgaining his trust he will lose out because of their superior talent.  

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

51126BD4-1EC8-43C4-A912-D7456F836FB0.gif

Yes he’s gotta play. 7-10 touches a game. Don’t over do it. But he’s a threat. 

Archived