Alvarez ‘not happy’ about CFP ‘not following criteria

aubiefifty

Barry Alvarez ‘not happy’ about CFP ‘not following criteria,’ says Jim Delaney wants expansion

Updated 6:25 AM; Today 6:11 AM

2-3 minutes

Alabama Football

Yankees president Randy Levine (right) sits with Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez (left) and Wisconsin football coach Paul Chryst (center) on Tuesday at Yankee Stadium during a Pinstripes Bowl news conference. Wisconsin and Miami will play at Yankee Stadium on Dec. 27. (Randy Miller | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

For the third straight season, the Big Ten was on the outside looking in at the College Football Playoff.

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said in a recent Q&A the committee isn’t following the criteria for selecting the top four teams.

"I was never satisfied with (the BCS) and thought four really helped college football,” Alvarez said during a town hall-style Q&A on Saturday ahead of Wisconsin’s spring game. “I thought that would be it. But when our league is left out of the Playoff three years in a row, I’m not happy about that. I don’t think we have followed the criteria set by the commissioners in naming those four teams.

“There’s a way you could go to eight teams very easily, starting a week early with a bye with the top 4 seeds. Any team would have a chance to win. I think it will expand, I just don’t know when.”

Alvarez said the current CFP contract isn’t an excuse to look at expansion.

“It’ll be decided by the presidents and commissioners,” Alvarez said. “There’s a window I think a year from now where they can make changes. They’ve left that open. Initially, it was an eight-year contract, but there’s an opening. I think our commissioner, Jim Delaney, is in favor of expansion.”

Last season, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Georgia were fighting for the fourth and final CFP spot. Oklahoma ultimately won out over Georgia, which lost to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game, and Ohio State, which won the Big Ten title with one loss.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

Archived