Espn predictor for playoffs

BJCrawford

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

I’m not savvy enough to respond to most of this but the one thing I thought malzahn WAS good at was the play calling. At the time, wasn’t the criticism more that he needed to be a head coach and do something about the defense and this is why he gave up play calling? I guess I think his move to assume play calling may be the only thing that may save his job (or lose it if his mojo is truly gone).

Not at all. He got figured out and the offense was not nearly dynamic enough to adjust to the changing of times. Maybe this time out has produced fresh ideas.

IMO, things that need to be done to our schedule: Georgia game needs to be moved, (Appears this will happen) we should be making a strong push to move to the SEC East, stop scheduling future playoff teams as our non-conference opponents. 

5 hours ago, James Howell said:

You are right I selected poor wording when I said settle. I should have said expected instead of settle.  And I agree that record such as that get a coach fired.  However, I dont have any confidence of anyone within the athletic department being able to select a new head coach.

The ridiculous contract extension was negotiated between athletics directors. And the "reduced buyout" saga was the product of Josh Moon's head...or rather his behind.

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

IMO, things that need to be done to our schedule: Georgia game needs to be moved, (Appears this will happen) we should be making a strong push to move to the SEC East, stop scheduling future playoff teams as our non-conference opponents. 

Seems like they don’t become playoff teams til we put them on our schedule😬.

10 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Seems like they don’t become playoff teams til we put them on our schedule😬.

This is exactly right. Of Clemson, Washington and Oregon, Oregon was the only one who had made any noise in recent history at the time that we scheduled them. It's insane. 

Hell, even Lamar freaking Jackson got his first live action against us. 

17 hours ago, DAG said:

Not at all. He got figured out and the offense was not nearly dynamic enough to adjust to the changing of times. Maybe this time out has produced fresh ideas.

I am not duo sure I would buy into the figuring out part. Schematically his offense has always and likely will always be the same. He does have personnel keys in his offense which are tells for certain plays, but based on his book and various vids and clinics he’s done, it seems to be by design. 

Repitition and simplicity are staples to aid in execution and explosive play generation. The personnel keys are allowed to exist in order to condition a defense to think a certain play is coming. It’s why I always argued when folks called his offense finesse. He beats you over the head with the same base plays to condition the defense to react. It is why pave usually helps as it only makes the defense have to react quicker which leads to more busts on the defensive side.

I honestly think the issues we had on offense over stretch of seasons post 2014 was Gus shifting to being more conservative. He’s become more reluctant to throw in the red zone and more satisfied with settling for FGs when we get in plus territory. That’s why our offense has become successful only when the run game is working. That allows Malzahn to pass only when he wants which minimizes the likelihood of turnovers. 

The number of deep shots we took in 2018 were limited and the screen game wasn’t as effective because our run game could be stopped without the defense having to bring 7+. 

I am hoping that the Purdue and ADay games are signs of what is to come. Those looked more like his Tulsa offense than anything I’ve seen lately.

EDIT: I didn’t type all this to you specifically DAG, just leveraging your post to make my comments :)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Thank God it was his first live action, later in the season he would have ripped us a new one.  He helped us out as IIRC his first pass was an interception. 

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Thank God it was his first live action, later in the season he would have ripped us a new one.  He helped us out as IIRC his first pass was an interception. 

One of the most impressive performances I've ever witnessed. Folks were complaining about our DL in that game but they were in the backfield all night long. Then they tried to play more contain. They just couldn't get their hands on the guy. Video game stuff. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One of the most impressive performances I've ever witnessed. Folks were complaining about our DL in that game but they were in the backfield all night long. Then they tried to play more contain. They just couldn't get their hands on the guy. Video game stuff. 

Losing Lawson after the first half sucked too :(

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yep, we had a fumble recovery for a TD also.  We ran out the clock in the end and was lucky to win the game.  Foreshadowing, we just didn’t know it at the time.

If we played another quarter of that game vs UL we probably don't come away as winners. We were hanging on for dear life at the end it felt like.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:33 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

LSU at 32% to make the playoff? No way. They are going to take a step back this year IMO.

People believe in Burrow and supposedly, they plan on running the spread

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ve never seen a team go from playoff contender to fraud from one half to the other like Auburn after that UL game.

what a horrible horrible season 

Kinda amazing that team beat two Heisman winners.

Still, Exhibit GodKnowsWhat of why I think we're all sick of Gus.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, McLoofus said:

This is exactly right. Of Clemson, Washington and Oregon, Oregon was the only one who had made any noise in recent history at the time that we scheduled them. It's insane. 

Just getting to this post, but Washington was 8-0 and ranked #5 in the CFP when we scheduled them.

https://fbschedules.com/auburn-washington-2018-chick-fil-a-kickoff-game-atlanta/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings

34 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Just getting to this post, but Washington was 8-0 and ranked #5 in the CFP when we scheduled them.

https://fbschedules.com/auburn-washington-2018-chick-fil-a-kickoff-game-atlanta/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings

Whoops.

Archived