2021 5* CB Ga'Quincy “Kool Aid” McKinstry (Bama)

War to the Eagle

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Not gonna lie, maybe my parents sucked at mixing it right but I never really liked Kool-Aid.

Out of reactions. I tried to laugh.

The injection of positive football-related energy into the board is acknowledged and appreciated.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not gonna lie, maybe my parents sucked at mixing it right but I never really liked Kool-Aid.

Lol not gonna lie I loved it as a kid but now I don’t really care for it. Too many empty calories 

41 minutes ago, Zeek said:

How do you pronounce this young man's name???

Like it's spelled with the G in front having the same sound as in German.

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was always more of a Tang, then Country Time Lemonade, then Gatorade guy. I also liked the instant sweet tea with lemon mixed in. 

Strawberry, Orange, or GRAPE (my favorite) kool aid...🤤😋

Y'all had someone making it for you?  Like as in maids?   Huh.   Gatorade was expensive and tang was for breakfast only.   

Different rules at my house.  I hated grape.   Any of the red flavors worked for me..   then came the green (lime?).   Yes, that was greatness.  Memories, and the taste of a garden hose in the summer.  

Kool-aid had a 56 (or 44, depending on what source you believe) yard TD in Pinson Valley’s 31-21 win over Shades Valley. 

Any idea on Kool-Aid's commitment date?

I know it was "any time" because he was not saying.      Then it was maybe Aug 22, then it was not "this weekend".

Supposedly he wants to help build a class, but the longer he is uncommitted, the less he is gonna help build a class.   

And thUGA had a recruiting  weekend last weekend with a lot of high profile recruits (albeit, unofficial and the coaches (cough cough) had nothing to do with, just recruits all coming on campus to mingle and walk around together, on the same day, same time). 

Hope we are not losing ground with him or the OL target.

31 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Any idea on Kool-Aid's commitment date?

I know it was "any time" because he was not saying.      Then it was maybe Aug 22, then it was not "this weekend".

Supposedly he wants to help build a class, but the longer he is uncommitted, the less he is gonna help build a class.   

And thUGA had a recruiting  weekend last weekend with a lot of high profile recruits (albeit, unofficial and the coaches (cough cough) had nothing to do with, just recruits all coming on campus to mingle and walk around together, on the same day, same time). 

Hope we are not losing ground with him or the OL target.

You can help build a class while being uncommitted. Some of these guys are silent commits and they make moves behind the scenes. I’m not saying that’s going on with this situation but it happens 

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

You can help build a class while being uncommitted. Some of these guys are silent commits and they make moves behind the scenes. I’m not saying that’s going on with this situation but it happens 

ok, I agree some kids may be silent commits, but  what credibility do they have trying to build a class as a silent commit?    I think close to zero.

I am not an antagonist,  but wondering out loud.   

Other than a kid trying to continue to play the recruiting game, why be a silent commit?  Especially if you are trying to influence others...And I know some programs tell a kid to be silent as they are trying to 'stick it to another program'  or keep some other kids hanging in the wind.   I think those are very different reasons.

Can't be a silent commit and really build a class or recruit others that way.  

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

ok, I agree some kids may be silent commits, but  what credibility do they have trying to build a class as a silent commit?    I think close to zero.

Other than a kid trying to continue to play the recruiting game, why be a silent commit?  Especially if you are trying to influence others...And I know some programs tell a kid to be silent as they are trying to 'stick it to another program'  or keep some other kids hanging in the wind.   I think those are very different reasons.

Some guys want to wait until signing day. You don’t have to be committed early and tweeting all the time about your school to be an effective recruiter. 

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I see the logic of what you're saying and one has to imagine that a committed kid would have at least a tiny bit more clout, but I think kids can and still do effectively recruit despite not being publicly committed.

Also- and I'm happy to be corrected here- I think oftentimes the staff will be strategic in timing public commitments for maximum effect and momentum at key parts of the cycle. I think that's how we sometimes have this short bursts of commitments followed by long quiet periods. 

Finally, who knows how COVID is affecting things this year. That's just my default response to everything. "Loof, why aren't you wearing pants?" "Oh, you know, COVID..."

53 minutes ago, Beaker said:

what credibility do they have trying to build a class as a silent commit?    I think close to zero.

@Beaker Think again. We have had a number of silents over the years help build classes.

55 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Other than a kid trying to continue to play the recruiting game, why be a silent commit?

He or the family may have a set time they want to commit publicly. Also school make arrangements for commit times for pop or strategy purposes. Also in somr cases it keeps local pressure off  some if a local kid wants to commit to a rival away from the local school.

59 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Wrong again. Many a classes have had great work built from silents. Happens to a number of classes every year.

12 hours ago, Beaker said:

what credibility do they have trying to build a class as a silent commit? 

This doesn't ring true to you? "I'm not saying where I might go, but Auburn really needs you to commit to them. Help them build a class, man! I might see you there I might not, so have a nice day."?

No, it doesn't do much for me either. I traded baseball cards with second graders who could think up a better sales pitch than that. Most schools try to get a public commitment from a good QB early to help build the class. There's a reason for that.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

This doesn't ring true to you? "I'm not saying where I might go, but Auburn really needs you to commit to them. Help them build a class, man! I might see you there I might not, so have a nice day."?

No, it doesn't do much for me either. I traded baseball cards with second graders who could think up a better sales pitch than that. Most schools try to get a public commitment from a good QB early to help build the class. There's a reason for that.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what it is you are trying to say, but we already have a QB committed, and Kool-Aid is on the other side of the ball entirely, so this seems like this thought isn't pertinent to the situation he's talking about?

As far as reasons to be silent at all though, I'd imagine a kid (especially a 5 star and top rated prospect in the state of Alabama) would have a plethora of reasons to not publicly commit but still have made up his mind. The strongest one I can think of is a recently passed feller named Harvey. The antics of a questionably sane and highly delusional fan as such probably worry you a little with the pressure you already receive before even committing. 

14 minutes ago, Paddywagon said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what it is you are trying to say, but we already have a QB committed, and Kool-Aid is on the other side of the ball entirely, so this seems like this thought isn't pertinent to the situation he's talking about?

As far as reasons to be silent at all though, I'd imagine a kid (especially a 5 star and top rated prospect in the state of Alabama) would have a plethora of reasons to not publicly commit but still have made up his mind. The strongest one I can think of is a recently passed feller named Harvey. The antics of a questionably sane and highly delusional fan as such probably worry you a little with the pressure you already receive before even committing. 

Also that QB commit was recruiting for us a couple weeks before he publicly committed.

1 hour ago, Paddywagon said:

The antics of a questionably sane and highly delusional fan as such probably worry you a little with the pressure you already receive before even committing. 

Very good point and very real, from what I've heard. You see a lot of kids drag out their announcement and then, boom, they're on campus the next day. Those little towns around Alabama (or Georgia, or...) can be tough places when you're not going with the flow.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very good point and very real, from what I've heard. You see a lot of kids drag out their announcement and then, boom, they're on campus the next day. Those little towns around Alabama (or Georgia, or...) can be tough places when you're not going with the flow.

unfortunately

8 hours ago, Paddywagon said:

What I'm saying is that it seems very unlikely that a player can recruit effectively for any given school when he is not publicly committed to that school. For example, schools try to get a public commitment from a key QB early in the cycle for that very reason.

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What I'm saying is that it seems very unlikely that a player can recruit effectively for any given school when he is not publicly committed to that school. For example, schools try to get a public commitment from a key QB early in the cycle for that very reason.

I tend to agree. If an uncommitted guy is encouraging me to commit to a school, the first question I'm asking is "why aren't you committed?" Maybe they are telling them that they are a silent commit, but I can't imagine telling too many people that or soon the whole recruiting world will know your secret.

44 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

I tend to agree. If an uncommitted guy is encouraging me to commit to a school, the first question I'm asking is "why aren't you committed?" 

And at that point the recruit in question probably answers them. Many of those possibilities have already been provided. But maybe the person asking the question really needs to be asking themselves why the other kid would be recruiting for a school they aren't planning on going to? 

44 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

I can't imagine telling too many people that or soon the whole recruiting world will know your secret.

Happens countless times in every cycle. This game is full of secrets that everybody knows. But nobody in the recruiting world is going to spill the beans or they won't get any more access. And the schools can't comment on recruits. So people can "know" these "secrets" all they want, but it doesn't matter until it's official.  

Why are we trying to apply logic to the illogicality (holy crap! I thought I invented a word but my speller says it's good. Who'd a thunk it?) that is recruiting and 16-18 year old kids? #DoesNotCompute

Just now, ellitor said:

Why are we trying to apply logic to the illogicality (holy crap! I thought I invented a word but my speller says it's good. Who'd a thunk it?) that is recruiting and 16-18 year old kids? #DoesNotCompute

Dude, nice! I had no idea that was a word, either. Oh yeah and agreed with everything else in your post, too.

10 hours ago, Paddywagon said:

And from the school's standpoint I'd rather have a silent commit that stays committed than a public commit that goes silent (if that makes sense). 

Archived