• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You've had a lot of practice

Listening to your explanations

• Haha 1

5-star DB Ga'Quincy McKinstry names top 5

by Keith Niebuhr

18 minutes ago

It's official ... but also not very surprising: Auburn is a major contender for Ga'Quincy McKinstry.

The 5-star cornerback from Pinson Valley (Ala.) named his top five Sunday evening and Gus Malzahn's program made the cut along with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and LSU. McKinstry, who is listed at 5-feet-11.5, 172 pounds, is the No. 2 corner and No. 23 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. He checks in as the No. 2 prospect in the state of Alabama.

McKinstry, also a talented basketball player, holds several offers in that sport, including one from Auburn. The Tigers are said to be pushing the two-sport angle hard in this particular recruitment. Auburn was in on McKinstry very early and one can't forget that he's really close with Tigers quarterback Bo Nix, his former teammate at Pinson Valley. With Auburn, the Tigers hope their long-standing relationship here can be the difference in the end.

"(They) have offered me to play both sports and they just want me to come take over," McKinstry told Auburn Undercover in a recent interview. “I like the way they are. They are family-oriented. That’s big for me.”

Here is McKinstry's 247Sports evaluation, courtesy of Charles Power: "Possesses a lean build with good length and stature for a cornerback. Tested as a good athlete prior to his junior season and should continue making progress on that front as he spends more time in the weight room over the next few years. In addition to the football field, shows his athleticism as an above-the-rim basketball player and one of the better hoopers in Alabama. Is an outstanding and productive two-way player on the gridiron, starring as a receiver and corner for Pinson Valley. Has elite ball skills as a corner and would also be a top prospect as a receiver if he wanted. Shows the ability to consistently pluck the ball at his highest point and win in contested situations on both sides of the ball. In addition to high-pointing and out-jumping the competition, also shows the ability to locate and track the ball downfield. Makes difficult plays at a high rate and finds multiple ways to effect the game. Instinctive in coverage and shows the ability to read the quarterback's eyes and break on the ball. Impresses with his competitive nature. Will need to continue honing his coverage technique as a cornerback, which should come once he focuses on the sport and position full time. Projects as an impact multi-year starter at the Power 5 level with the upside of developing into an early round draft pick."

The competition for McKinstry is fierce, but Auburn is very much in the thick of things.

That is some tough competition for this kids signature! I love being in the discussions all the time but we need to win one of these!!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, toddc said:

That is some tough competition for this kids signature! I love being in the discussions all the time but we need to win one of these!!!!

Best pure athlete to come out of Alabama in a while. Kid could play football, basketball, baseball or track at the next level. Do believe bama leads now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Best pure athlete to come out of Alabama in a while. Kid could play football, basketball, baseball or track at the next level. Do believe bama leads now.

Did Bama also offer a basketball spot?

13 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Did Bama also offer a basketball spot?

Si.

• Thanks 1