A-Day Clipbit - Joey Gatewood to Seth Williams

StatTiger

Watch Joey Gatewood flex his NFL arm to complete a deep corner route to Seth Williams. I am not saying Gatewood is ready for the NFL. This type of throw is the type of pass he will need to make consistently to make it to the next level.

Very clean pocket giving QB view of whole field. then good vision by Joey and a solid throw with some zip on it.

Agree with @SumterAubie on how effortless and on a rope that throw was!

Any concern that his head never pivoted by even a single degree? Like... that ball was going to that spot or nowhere. I know that's just what Gus's passing offense usually is, but is that okay? 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Any concern that his head never pivoted by even a single degree? Like... that ball was going to that spot or nowhere. I know that's just what Gus's passing offense usually is, but is that okay? 

I don’t necessarily know about this play especially with such a clean pocket , but I will say he does key in on Seth and trust him enough to just throw it up to him and let him work. That one TD pass where Seth got up and made a play was beautiful but don’t want to live on that all the time . The good thing is if the pocket does collapse I trust Joey can extend the play and hopefully looking to pass while doing so.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t necessarily know about this play especially with such a clean pocket , but I will say he does key in on Seth and trust him enough to just throw it up to him and let him work. That one TD pass where Seth got up and made a play was beautiful but don’t want to live on that all the time . The good thing is if the pocket does collapse I trust Joey can extend the play and hopefully looking to pass while doing so.

Agreed. And I really am just throwing it out there for discussion and to be illuminated by you guys who understand the finer points of the game more than I do. 

I just know that lots of times when a play goes south you'll see analysts draw little lines with their fancy computer sharpies and talk about how the QB stares down the receiver, lol. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

No. There are some pass plays designed with a single designated route, excluding the obvious check down to Stove. Even Tom Brady looks down certain routes.

That side of the field was also cleared out by other routes and JG may have seen this early in his read.

4 hours ago, StatTiger said:

No. There are some pass plays designed with a single designated route, excluding the obvious check down to Stove. Even Tom Brady looks down certain routes.

And this was there easily but you don’t have a huge window to release the ball. The cut to the sideline is a very short period of time. 

On 4/18/2019 at 5:55 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Very clean pocket giving QB view of whole field. then good vision by Joey and a solid throw with some zip on it.

Good pickup and key to our season. It will be good oline or bust. 

It’s a good advantage to have Gatewood at 6.5 . He can cover the field and see all passing lanes . Great pass and route by Seth 

On 4/19/2019 at 11:38 AM, toddc said:

That side of the field was also cleared out by other routes and JG may have seen this early in his read.

We can certainly hope that is the case! Seeing a QB read a defense in our system seems rare nowadays...plays to the idea that perhaps we can develop young QB talent after all.

36 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

We can certainly hope that is the case! Seeing a QB read a defense in our system seems rare nowadays...plays to the idea that perhaps we can develop young QB talent after all.

I hope so! Maybe a little Dilly Dilly doesn’t hurt.

That sounded better in my head! Lol

Now it sounds a little...

BIG CATCH SETH!!!!!!!!!!

Archived