Gus Writes Letter to Former Players

aubiefifty

i swiped this from another auburn board...........um non pay board.

Former Auburn football players were sent this letter today by Gus Malzahn. The coach is trying to open the door more to the past. Here’s the letter:

Dear Former Players, We just finished up the spring season with A-Day on Saturday. For the first time, we had a 7-on-7 Auburn Legends game, and it was a huge success. We appreciate all the guys involved this year and will continue the A-Day Legends game moving forward.

Our theme this year is “Ride for the Brand.” We are putting Auburn first in everything we do and making a strong emphasis on our core values. We will have the Auburn Creed hanging in every players’ locker and in every coaches’ office.

I really appreciate everyone who came to Lettermen’s Day earlier this spring. We had more than 200 former players on the sidelines. That afternoon, I had a chance to visit with a few of you, and it was very insightful. I realized I need to make it a priority to keep you more informed as to what is going on in our program. I want all former players to always feel welcome. With that said, each month you will receive updates on our program from me and my staff.

I’d like to invite you to come to our fall camp practices this August. I will send you those dates once they are set. I am also looking into opening some practices during the season and will be in touch as we get closer.

This will be my 10th year at Auburn, and I love this place. This program would not be what it is today without you. Thank you for all you have done to make Auburn great!

War Eagle!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i swiped this from another auburn board...........um non pay board.

Former Auburn football players were sent this letter today by Gus Malzahn. The coach is trying to open the door more to the past. Here’s the letter:

Dear Former Players, We just finished up the spring season with A-Day on Saturday. For the first time, we had a 7-on-7 Auburn Legends game, and it was a huge success. We appreciate all the guys involved this year and will continue the A-Day Legends game moving forward.

Our theme this year is “Ride for the Brand.” We are putting Auburn first in everything we do and making a strong emphasis on our core values. We will have the Auburn Creed hanging in every players’ locker and in every coaches’ office.

I really appreciate everyone who came to Lettermen’s Day earlier this spring. We had more than 200 former players on the sidelines. That afternoon, I had a chance to visit with a few of you, and it was very insightful. I realized I need to make it a priority to keep you more informed as to what is going on in our program. I want all former players to always feel welcome. With that said, each month you will receive updates on our program from me and my staff.

I’d like to invite you to come to our fall camp practices this August. I will send you those dates once they are set. I am also looking into opening some practices during the season and will be in touch as we get closer.

This will be my 10th year at Auburn, and I love this place. This program would not be what it is today without you. Thank you for all you have done to make Auburn great!

War Eagle!

This can only be a positive for the program. Kudos to Gus for doing this. 

2 hours ago, SlocombTiger said:

This can only be a positive for the program. Kudos to Gus for doing this. 

Agree; hopefully the Gus haters won’t be out in full force over this one.

I said in another thread that Gus is/has changed his approach to the team and program this off-season. This is another positive.

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I said in another thread that Gus is/has changed his approach to the team and program this off-season. This is another positive.

I want to believe he has changed but, I'm still skeptical. I would like nothing more than to have him prove me wrong and turn Auburn into the juggernaut we all know is possible. I've heard BBQ sauce is good with crow and am quite willing to try it.

No, I'm not crapping on his letter to former players. I think it's a great move and am glad he did it.

One thing you have to say about Gus is he runs a clean program. You also don't ever have to worry about his own personal conduct embarrassing Auburn. Most of the players he recruits have been a credit to the university and become fine young men. The small minority that don't are dealt with quickly and professionally. He has recruited very good talent to Auburn while going against some tough competitors. He obviously loves Auburn and wants the program to do well. All of those things are very important. Now if he can just get those wins to be 9 or more, instead of those 7s or 8s, that will be good.

Edit: A thought about a minimum 9 wins per year. Gus's biggest obstacle in achieving that has been losing the games he never should have lost. We all know which ones those were. That is when those 8s could have very easily become 9s and 10s. He knows that too so I'm hoping he has corrected that trend. 

Hmmm...I get the feeling that our AD's ability to stand up for him has given Gus a little more breathing room to operate the program he wants to have. We shall see. I hope he truly is less closed off than he has been in the past. My prayers are that he and the players are working hard, having fun and are going to be enough of a success to satisfy the circling vultures.

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Agree; hopefully the Gus haters won’t be out in full force over this one.

Well....no one that I can remember has ever questioned the man's character. I mean, we all want things to turn out positive for all involved,  especially the players. I used to be as big of a Gus fan as you could be, here's to hoping he's turned the corner on his coaching growth. Wde

43 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Well....no one that I can remember has ever questioned the man's character. I mean, we all want things to turn out positive for all involved,  especially the players. I used to be as big of a Gus fan as you could be, here's to hoping he's turned the corner on his coaching growth. Wde

Absolutely. This is perfectly summed up and put. I have always been a fan of Gus the man. I think he is a great guy. I just do not think he is a good football coach. I think all Gus haters like myself will readily admit that. It has nothing to do with what we think of him as a person when we are negative about him. 

16 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

One thing you have to say about Gus is he runs a clean program. You don't ever have to worry about his own personal conduct embarrassing Auburn. Most of the players he recruits have been a credit to the university and become fine young men. The small minority that don't are dealt with quickly and professionally. He has recruited very good talent to Auburn while going against some tough competitors. He obviously loves Auburn and wants the program to do well. All of those things are very important. Now if he can just get those wins to be 9 or more, instead of those 7s or 8s, that will be a good thing.

Totally agree; I don’t know too many coaches that could/can consistently win 9 or 10 games per season with our current schedule. Something has to be done with the schedule, and I don’t believe Gus can do it by himself.

Even Deer Antler Spray/Dodge Charger U, does not have to play Georgia out of the east every year and their out of conference schedule is never as tough as ours!

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Absolutely. This is perfectly summed up and put. I have always been a fan of Gus the man. I think he is a great guy. I just do not think he is a good football coach. I think all Gus haters like myself will readily admit that. It has nothing to do with what we think of him as a person when we are negative about him. 

Why are you a self proclaimed Gus hater? Come on man.

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think they figure there are lots of coaches out there who would do better than Gus....we just have go get one of them.   :dunno: 

JMO but the AD probably understand the real world,  which is why he's not taking the bait to go coach hunting...even if,  as we've been told so many times.  some of the rich alums will pay the buy-out for Gus's contract.   Meanwhile, Greene (and Auburn) is doing pretty well with the coaches he inherited and I'm happy about that.  

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think they figure there are lots of coaches out there who would do better than Gus....we just have go get one of them.   :dunno: 

JMO but the AD probably understand the real world,  which is why he's not taking the bait to go coach hunting...even if,  as we've been told so many times.  some of the rich alums will pay the buy-out for Gus's contract.   Meanwhile, Greene (and Auburn) is doing pretty well with the coaches he inherited and I'm happy about that.  

Yeah not trying to derail the thread. This section deserves ten pages because this is a very humble act as not only a coach but a human being. With that being said, there might be coaches who are better than him out there. It is okay to feel that way, but why are you openly saying you are against Gus. Yes, if you are saying you are a Gus hater, IMO, you are honestly against him as our coach. I cannot comprehend that.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Because it is true. I am just owning it. I mean it is no secret. You and most everyone already knows it. Does not take away from the fact I think he runs a clean as a whistle program *knock on wood* (or as much as you can at a major college football powerhouse) and this is a incredibly great thing he does. He is all class. Anyways this is one thread I will not derail anymore than it already has been done.  Have a great day! Happy Easter! WOOOOOO!!!!!!! #WDE

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah not trying to derail the thread. This section deserves ten pages because this is a very humble act as not only a coach but a human being. With that being said, there might be coaches who are better than him out there. It is okay to feel that way, but why are you openly saying you are against Gus. Yes, if you are saying you are a Gus hater, IMO, you are honestly against him as our coach. I cannot comprehend that.

The label of “Gus Hater” has been bestowed up some (me included) by the Sunshine pumpers that have no other comeback.  Look, I hate (dislike) some things that my wife does, but we’ve been together for 45 years.  I hate (dislike) some things that Gus does and I have voiced that opinion as I have observed them over the last 6 years.  I have no direct effect as to Gus being our head coach or not, but this is an Auburn Football board and discussions are allowed.  Labels are a way for people to be silenced.

To the OP; it’s a great thing that Gus is involving former players and as bigbird has stated Gus has changed his approach to the team this year. A great and positive thing.  By the way, changing the way you do things indicates it wasn’t real great before hand.

Every Spring I start believing the hype, but I must manage my expectations until the season develops.  The thing that I dislike the most about the way Gus coaches can’t be seen until the season starts and that is how Gus reacts to dynamic in game situations.

So, War Eagle and I hope the season is wildly successful. 

P.S.  I very seldom voice my dislikes of some of the things my wife does, as it does have a direct effect of my happiness.  

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The label of “Gus Hater” has been bestowed up some (me included) by the Sunshine pumpers that have no other comeback.  Look, I hate (dislike) some things that my wife does, but we’ve been together for 45 years.  I hate (dislike) some things that Gus does and I have voiced that opinion as I have observed them over the last 6 years.  I have no direct effect as to Gus being our head coach or not, but this is an Auburn Football board and discussions are allowed.  Labels are a way for people to be silenced.

To the OP; it’s a great thing that Gus is involving former players and as bigbird has stated Gus has changed his approach to the team this year. A great and positive thing.  By the way, changing the way you do things indicates it wasn’t real great before hand.

Every Spring I start believing the hype, but I must manage my expectations until the season develops.  The thing that I dislike the most about the way Gus coaches can’t be seen until the season starts and that is how Gus reacts to dynamic in game situations.

So, War Eagle and I hope the season is wildly successful. 

P.S.  I very seldom voice my dislikes of some of the things my wife does, as it does have a direct effect of my happiness.  

Yeah but I bet you don't say to this woman, "You know I just don't think you are a good wife." Displaying criticism for action has never been a problem for most on here, even the "Sunshine Pumpers." But there is a direct distinction between having DISCUSSIONS and people who just don't like Gus and don't ever think he will be right for Auburn. At that point, you are too bias to have a discussion. There is a distinction that needs to be made. Nevertheless, Gus has given us reason to be encouraged for this season. 

I give Gus credit for listening to his deserved criticism from the outside and evolving his decision making with the program.  I think many would agree that this last season, off season Gus finally learned what it takes to be a coach at this level and has made some great adjustments to how he handles the program.  I also think he realized that this could be his last chance to run a big time program and he has not really spent the time to enjoy much of it.  With that said I also hope we see several changes to his offense as he has more weapons than he ever has had and he is gonna need to keep them all happy.   There is also a Bruce Pearl Effect happening across the athletic department along with an Greene Effect.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah but I bet you don't say to this woman, "You know I just don't think you are a good wife." Displaying criticism for action has never been a problem for most on here, even the "Sunshine Pumpers." But there is a direct distinction between having DISCUSSIONS and people who just don't like Gus and don't ever think he will be right for Auburn. At that point, you are too bias to have a discussion. There is a distinction that needs to be made. Nevertheless, Gus has given us reason to be encouraged for this season. 

After 6 years of Gus’ tendencies the frustration of his actions are seen earlier and earlier in the season.  This season is a turning point in Gus’ career, there is so much he is going to have to improve upon and he has doubled down on his ability to do so.  The first 4 games will probably tell the tale.  Hoping for the best.

Gus has given us reason for encouragement for this season as he has done the last 6 years. Those that are not all gussy over the start of the season has history on their side.  If the season turns out badly, the excuses people will make for why it turned out badly are the ones that are too bias to have a discussion. There are two sides to this point

Smart move, should have been done earlier but better late than never I guess. I’m still on the fence with Gus as a whole but it does seem like it’s trending a little better since the end of the regular season through the present. I still think it’s gonna be tough to win enough games this year to keep the wolves at bay. Schedule is what it is. 

18 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

After 6 years of Gus’ tendencies the frustration of his actions are seen earlier and earlier in the season.  This season is a turning point in Gus’ career, there is so much he is going to have to improve upon and he has doubled down on his ability to do so.  The first 4 games will probably tell the tale.  Hoping for the best.

Gus has given us reason for encouragement for this season as he has done the last 6 years. Those that are not all gussy over the start of the season has history on their side.  If the season turns out badly, the excuses people will make for why it turned out badly are the ones that are too bias to have a discussion. There are two sides to this point

That’s fair but you completely dismissed my point lol. There is a difference between disliking his tendencies or even being cautious about his stature versus blatantly just hating on the man. There is the distinction. So yes there are two types of sides of the extreme and both are bias . You should not engage in a discussion with Mikey about Gus since he is clearly bias. You also shouldn’t engage in a discussion with GWILL because he is clearly bias. Both of their minds are clearly made up about the person. Speaking in terms of coaching experience.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s fair but you completely dismissed my point lol. There is a difference between disliking his tendencies or even being cautious about his stature versus blatantly just hating on the man. There is the distinction. So yes there are two types of sides of the extreme and both are bias . You should not engage in a discussion with Mikey about Gus since he is clearly bias. You also shouldn’t engage in a discussion with GWILL because he is clearly bias. Both of their minds are clearly made up about the person. Speaking in terms of coaching experience.

I understood your point and agree that there are extremes on both sides of the argument. Those posters will not change their minds until Gus is wildly successful or is fired.  The disingenuous part is if either happens they will then discuss why they knew it all along. 

We have a really good offensive line, a monster-sized running QB, speed EVERYWHERE and talent galore.  Gus is going to get his offensive Mojo back and it’s going to be a ball to watch.  Defense is going to be very solid and consistent. Say what you want but for the vast majority of Gus’s tenure we have been in the national conversation. Few programs can say that.  Nobody is perfect and he has had Uber-frustrating periods but give the guy his weapons and he knows what to do with them.  He wins a lot of big games and he’s never scared. When we are outclassed we are outclassed but this year is going to be fun. Cannela, Stove, Swartz Hill,  Hastings,  McClain, Williams and more, add a decent and improving RB1 and 2 with 3 looking good, with depth.  Worm for the change of pace, Joiner on the wheel route, maybe well-played zone read with a true QB run option versus just handing off every time.....paired with a Defense?. 

FOR THE FEW, BUT VOCAL, NAYSAYERS OUT THERE——-PICK.  A.  NEW.  TEAM.    My entire  family all graduated FSU and they literally have NOTHING to look forward to this year. What a horrible time that would be in September and knowing that you’re going to lose to Boston College and NC State and Wake Forest and Syracuse and Virginia and everybody else on your schedule. I am proud and EXCITED  to be an Auburn Tiger.

In addition,  I am putting $1000 on Auburn to win it all this year. For those who do not recognize what we have in place at this point, for the upcoming season, open your damn eyes and be grateful.  We finna run it.  For those that think the Georgia, LSU and Bama games are a foregone conclusion, you are ALL IDIOTS.    We are THE BARN, we are AUBURN, and THE BARN IS LOADED WITH THOROUGHBREDS.  

WAR DAMN EAGLE  

Archived