Gus Writes Letter to Former Players

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, MaitlandTiger said:

We have a really good offensive line, a monster-sized running QB, speed EVERYWHERE and talent galore.  Gus is going to get his offensive Mojo back and it’s going to be a ball to watch.  Defense is going to be very solid and consistent. Say what you want but for the vast majority of Gus’s tenure we have been in the national conversation. Few programs can say that.  Nobody is perfect and he has had Uber-frustrating periods but give the guy his weapons and he knows what to do with them.  He wins a lot of big games and he’s never scared. When we are outclassed we are outclassed but this year is going to be fun. Cannela, Stove, Swartz Hill,  Hastings,  McClain, Williams and more, add a decent and improving RB1 and 2 with 3 looking good, with depth.  Worm for the change of pace, Joiner on the wheel route, maybe well-played zone read with a true QB run option versus just handing off every time.....paired with a Defense?. 

FOR THE FEW, BUT VOCAL, NAYSAYERS OUT THERE——-PICK.  A.  NEW.  TEAM.    My entire  family all graduated FSU and they literally have NOTHING to look forward to this year. What a horrible time that would be in September and knowing that you’re going to lose to Boston College and NC State and Wake Forest and Syracuse and Virginia and everybody else on your schedule. I am proud and EXCITED  to be an Auburn Tiger.

In addition,  I am putting $1000 on Auburn to win it all this year. For those who do not recognize what we have in place at this point, for the upcoming season, open your damn eyes and be grateful.  We finna run it.  For those that think the Georgia, LSU and Bama games are a foregone conclusion, you are ALL IDIOTS.    We are THE BARN, we are AUBURN, and THE BARN IS LOADED WITH THOROUGHBREDS.  

WAR DAME EAGLE  

I’ll have what you’re having 😊

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone remember the name of the sports writer that said all the negative stuff against gus last year was a huge distraction? he said it did effect the team and not in a good way. i wish my memory was better so i could link or post the article. so believe it or not and i am sure some will laugh at this but i believe it to be true. and for the record i agree people have the right to believe as they see fit but when it gets to the point where it effects the team i have little use for your opinion. and last year many of the negative folks were making fun of sunshine pumpers at the same time some were hoping for the team to lose so gus can be fired.and yes many of the negative crowd turned into trolls. and frankly i am happy to see many of them have been removed or gone on to other sites. there is quite a difference between the two.................

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

does anyone remember the name of the sports writer that said all the negative stuff against gus last year was a huge distraction? he said it did effect the team and not in a good way. i wish my memory was better so i could link or post the article. so believe it or not and i am sure some will laugh at this but i believe it to be true. and for the record i agree people have the right to believe as they see fit but when it gets to the point where it effects the team i have little use for your opinion. and last year many of the negative folks were making fun of sunshine pumpers at the same time some were hoping for the team to lose so gus can be fired.and yes many of the negative crowd turned into trolls. and frankly i am happy to see many of them have been removed or gone on to other sites. there is quite a difference between the two.................

This is easily the best and most civil Auburn board around. Even when people disagree it never gets out of hand and escalates. (Well besides that one time a guy wanted to meet up and fight in a parking lot! Lol) Everyone here is great people and even the ones I disagree with on most everything I still have a fun time talking and conversing with. I am glad there is a lot of disagreements and it is not a echo chamber in here. It makes for a more fun and entertaining board.

Gus shows he’s is at least maturing as the overseer of the football program, and acknowledges his team, his staff, and himself represents Auburn in more ways than just being a football team. The way his teams have represented the Auburn values has always been underrated but maybe one day he will get the appreciation that he deserves for that. The worst things Gus have ever said are “fiddlesticks” and “we beat the dog crap out of them didn’t we.” Meanwhile, our rivals in Georgia cannot stay out of contention for the Fulmer Cup, and the other rival’s HC cries on national television at reporters. 

I realize Gus isn’t our pope and the expectancy of morals and Auburn values from our HC and his team is merely one requisite to be a good HC, so, if a man from Nazareth (and what good has ever come out of Nazareth) can rise from the dead on the third day, our dynamic read option offense can too. Bet the last 85,000 in your account on a 10 win season. 

Gusbus is going in dry. 

9 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Totally agree; I don’t know too many coaches that could/can consistently win 9 or 10 games per season with our current schedule. Something has to be done with the schedule, and I don’t believe Gus can do it by himself.

Even Deer Antler Spray/Dodge Charger U, does not have to play Georgia out of the east every year and their out of conference schedule is never as tough as ours!

I could even get on board with a shipment of that deer antler spray for a couple guys on the OL this year. Kidding aside, it's a tough schedule no doubt about it. I've even thought alternating some games might be something to consider.

38 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I could even get on board with a shipment of that deer antler spray for a couple guys on the OL this year. Kidding aside, it's a tough schedule no doubt about it. I've even thought alternating some games might be something to consider.

Just my opinion but either a big push has to be made, to move to the SEC East, or your suggestion of alternating games will have to be done. With Jimbo recruiting so well at Texas A&M, it’s only going to get worse!

7 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

We have a really good offensive line, a monster-sized running QB, speed EVERYWHERE and talent galore.  Gus is going to get his offensive Mojo back and it’s going to be a ball to watch.  Defense is going to be very solid and consistent. Say what you want but for the vast majority of Gus’s tenure we have been in the national conversation. Few programs can say that.  Nobody is perfect and he has had Uber-frustrating periods but give the guy his weapons and he knows what to do with them.  He wins a lot of big games and he’s never scared. When we are outclassed we are outclassed but this year is going to be fun. Cannela, Stove, Swartz Hill,  Hastings,  McClain, Williams and more, add a decent and improving RB1 and 2 with 3 looking good, with depth.  Worm for the change of pace, Joiner on the wheel route, maybe well-played zone read with a true QB run option versus just handing off every time.....paired with a Defense?. 

FOR THE FEW, BUT VOCAL, NAYSAYERS OUT THERE——-PICK.  A.  NEW.  TEAM.    My entire  family all graduated FSU and they literally have NOTHING to look forward to this year. What a horrible time that would be in September and knowing that you’re going to lose to Boston College and NC State and Wake Forest and Syracuse and Virginia and everybody else on your schedule. I am proud and EXCITED  to be an Auburn Tiger.

In addition,  I am putting $1000 on Auburn to win it all this year. For those who do not recognize what we have in place at this point, for the upcoming season, open your damn eyes and be grateful.  We finna run it.  For those that think the Georgia, LSU and Bama games are a foregone conclusion, you are ALL IDIOTS.    We are THE BARN, we are AUBURN, and THE BARN IS LOADED WITH THOROUGHBREDS.  

WAR DAMN EAGLE  

I sure hope you are correct. With our schedule it’s going to be tough to keep a O-line and RB’s a D-line and LB’s healthy, week in and week out this fall.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Just my opinion but either a big push has to be made, to move to the SEC East, or your suggestion of alternating games will have to be done. With Jimbo recruiting so well at Texas A&M, it’s only going to get worse!

Alabama won’t let us move to the east unless it benefits them somehow.

Eastern Conference teams like Kentucky  would justifiably not like it either. 

14 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Auburn should have been put into the SEC East at the very beginning. It will be tough to do now, nobody but Auburn wants that to happen. Now, if the SEC can bring Oklahoma and Okie State into the West, then we'll get our wish.

13 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Alabama won’t let us move to the east unless it benefits them somehow.

Eastern Conference teams like Kentucky  would justifiably not like it either. 

What you’re saying makes perfect sense, but please remember, the constant saying: the Iron Bowl was never going to be played in Auburn. We were told: “you might as well forget about it, that game is never going to be played in Auburn Alabama”

I feel the commonsense fight, to move us to the east, needs to be made!

On 4/21/2019 at 9:36 AM, DAG said:

Yeah not trying to derail the thread. This section deserves ten pages because this is a very humble act as not only a coach but a human being. With that being said, there might be coaches who are better than him out there. It is okay to feel that way, but why are you openly saying you are against Gus. Yes, if you are saying you are a Gus hater, IMO, you are honestly against him as our coach. I cannot comprehend that.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Because it is true. I am just owning it. I mean it is no secret. You and most everyone already knows it. Does not take away from the fact I think he runs a clean as a whistle program *knock on wood* (or as much as you can at a major college football powerhouse) and this is a incredibly great thing he does. He is all class. Anyways this is one thread I will not derail anymore than it already has been done.  Have a great day! Happy Easter! WOOOOOO!!!!!!! #WDE

I don't see anything wrong with somebody having decided that Gus isn't the guy. This is year 7 with him as head coach, year 10 of him being here in some capacity. That's not the Ron Zook treatment. 

Nor do I see any problem with being honest and a little self-deprecating by owning the "hater" label. Especially since a lot of people around here are just going to call him a hater anyway, same as they will for anybody who offers an assessment of the job that Gus has done that isn't positive. Obviously GWilly doesn't actually "hate" Gus. 

My personal perspective is that I want Auburn to win everything all the time forever. Since Gus is currently our head coach, that means I want him to win every game all the time forever. But that doesn't mean that he hasn't earned doubt and the lion's share of the criticism he receives.

As for this thread, once again everything was positive and good until somebody preemptively tried to call out the "haters" and introduced negativity- and objectivity- into the conversation. Clown moves get clown results. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't see anything wrong with somebody having decided that Gus isn't the guy. This is year 7 with him as head coach, year 10 of him being here in some capacity. That's not the Ron Zook treatment. 

Nor do I see any problem with being honest and a little self-deprecating by owning the "hater" label. Especially since a lot of people around here are just going to call him a hater anyway, same as they will for anybody who offers an assessment of the job that Gus has done that isn't positive. Obviously GWilly doesn't actually "hate" Gus. 

My personal perspective is that I want Auburn to win everything all the time forever. Since Gus is currently our head coach, that means I want him to win every game all the time forever. But that doesn't mean that he hasn't earned doubt and the lion's share of the criticism he receives.

As for this thread, once again everything was positive and good until somebody preemptively tried to call out the "haters" and introduced negativity- and objectivity- into the conversation. Clown moves get clown results. 

Well if you are wanting him to win then I imagine you aren’t an hater. Do we need to define what a hater is? If you don’t think he is a winner and he wins and you still find a reason to get on him that is the definition of a hater. For some on here, unless Gus wins a NC , it won’t be good enough. All they will say is let’s see if he can repeat the success. Legitimately, if Gus were to win 10 games next season there will be people saying “yeah, he should be doing that though.”

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is easily the best and most civil Auburn board around. Even when people disagree it never gets out of hand and escalates. (Well besides that one time a guy wanted to meet up and fight in a parking lot! Lol) Everyone here is great people and even the ones I disagree with on most everything I still have a fun time talking and conversing with. I am glad there is a lot of disagreements and it is not a echo chamber in here. It makes for a more fun and entertaining board.

i agree with most of that. there was a cat on here and people were always wanting to fight with him. they might have called him coach? not sure and a bad memory here. and i am not trying to say who was at fault. but the handful of people wanting to lose every game was sickening to me and a betrayal to the players. but yes we are way more tame than the rant. there was also a site called vle back in the day that basically had no rules. i loved it. it later became the sports hole and it has gone from several hundred members to like four or five. it seems people left because of race and right wing politics. it was a great place until that stuff happened. the mods were not feared and you could trash talk with them and they basically had a no ban policy. so yes this is probably the most civil board there is that i know of.

Also, if we are going to accept people who claim to be Gus haters then let’s not ridicule the people who are Gus Homers. I know it is fun to get on Mikey for that , but it’s a tad bit hypocritical in my eyes to go at him , then say it is okay to be a Gus hater. Is that illogical on my part? I don’t know. 

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well if you are wanting him to win then I imagine you aren’t an hater. Do we need to define what a hater is? If you don’t think he is a winner and he wins and you still find a reason to get on him that is the definition of a hater. For some on here, unless Gus wins a NC , it won’t be good enough. All they will say is let’s see if he can repeat the success. Legitimately, if Gus were to win 10 games next season there will be people saying “yeah, he should be doing that though.”

The term “hater” is used to discount thought and shut down conversation, it is not applied correctly. 

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The term “hater” is used to discount thought and shut down conversation, it is not applied correctly. 

I 100 percent agree with that. There are people on both sides who call someone an hater or homer for simple disagreements. But we have someone here who is a proclaimed Gus hater lol. That is a little different. And we all know there are a couple of self proclaimed Gus homers. I definitely do think Gus deserves criticism. I also think he deserves praise as well as a coach. I think he deserves praise for going back to his roots and trusting in himself to right the ship, FINALLY. I also think he deserves criticism for surrounding himself in the past with people, IMO, who wouldn’t challenge him to grow. I believe that was his downfall and if he didn’t take the time to do some inner self searching, it would ultimately end in his demise.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I'm so glad I took my time responding because this is exactly it.

There's a big difference between hate and skepticism. One is emotional and the other, in this case, is well supported by data. 

As always, I don't pay attention to W-L totals. Our schedule, in my opinion, don't really allow for a good reading based on that. I pay attention to whether or not our team comes to play. I think most fans do. And if Gus manages a season where we actually come to play every week, then I think that we'll see a lot more positivity from all but the most irrational fans. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think he deserves praise for going back to his roots and trusting in himself to right the ship, FINALLY.

I think he will deserve praise if it works. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I think he will deserve praise if it works. 

Well that is how it usually works lol.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also, if we are going to accept people who claim to be Gus haters then let’s not ridicule the people who are Gus Homers. I know it is fun to get on Mikey for that , but it’s a tad bit hypocritical in my eyes to go at him , then say it is okay to be a Gus hater. Is that illogical on my part? I don’t know. 

The difference is that Mikey will take an obvious example of Gus doing something incredibly stupid- like the 2nd half play-calling against LSU in 2017- and try to say with a straight face that Gus did the right thing and that everyone else failed. He will *always* blame the players, the assistants, the fans, the refs, the PTB, the team bus drivers, whoever, and he will never ever ever blame Gus for anything (except not recruiting enough linebackers). 

GWilly, on the other hand, is very quick to offer praise to Gus for the things that he thinks he does well. He attacks what he thinks are Gus's poor decisions, that's all. 

(Mikey's also a lot quicker to start slinging insults and refuses to accept any criticism or admit he's wrong about anything. Meanwhile we're sitting here having a conversation about GWilly just acknowledging that he's a critic and having some fun with said insults. Apples and oranges.)

There is the issue of wanting Gus to "tank" last year so we could get a new coach. I see both sides of that. But Iggy decided that he wanted to win that TAMU game and the rest of the players decided to ride with him, so that's that. I will always advocate for the players. And that's exactly where a lot of the intense criticism of Gus comes from- the idea that his bad decision making impacts the future of these players who trusted him with their careers. But all indications are that these kids love and respect the man and want him to continue on as their head coach. 

One thing I will fully admit to being complicit in is making a big deal out of big noise coming out of a very small number of people. Almost nobody has a skewed point of view. It's just that a few of us are on here all the time saying the same things over and over again, lol. (Internet points awarded to @alexava for correctly calling me out on this.) 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The difference is that Mikey will take an obvious example of Gus doing something incredibly stupid- like the 2nd half play-calling against LSU in 2017- and try to say with a straight face that Gus did the right thing and that everyone else failed. He will *always* blame the players, the assistants, the fans, the refs, the PTB, the team bus drivers, whoever, and he will never ever ever blame Gus for anything (except not recruiting enough linebackers). 

GWilly, on the other hand, is very quick to offer praise to Gus for the things that he thinks he does well. He attacks what he thinks are Gus's poor decisions, that's all. 

(Mikey's also a lot quicker to start slinging insults and refuses to accept any criticism or admit he's wrong about anything. Meanwhile we're sitting here having a conversation about GWilly just acknowledging that he's a critic and having some fun with said insults. Apples and oranges.)

There is the issue of wanting Gus to "tank" last year so we could get a new coach. I see both sides of that. But Iggy decided that he wanted to win that TAMU game and the rest of the players decided to ride with him, so that's that. I will always advocate for the players. And that's exactly where a lot of the intense criticism of Gus comes from- the idea that his bad decision making impacts the future of these players who trusted him with their careers. But all indications are that these kids love and respect the man and want him to continue on as their head coach. 

One thing I will fully admit to being complicit in is making a big deal out of big noise coming out of a very small number of people. Almost nobody has a skewed point of view. It's just that a few of us are on here all the time saying the same things over and over again, lol. (Internet points awarded to @alexava for correctly calling me out on this.) 

Yeah I know a lot of great posters were pissed off at me for my stance about tanking. 

Just now, DAG said:

Yeah I know a lot of great posters were pissed off at me for my stance about tanking. 

My personal opinion is that when you take emotion out of it, both sides have a lot of very logical reasons to think the way they do. But taking emotion out of it is obviously impossible. #fanatics

22 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

does anyone remember the name of the sports writer that said all the negative stuff against gus last year was a huge distraction? 

Josh Moon

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought I was the only one that remembered!  He recently started posting again too I noticed.  There was another situation as well where someone on here threw out racist comments and homophobic comments.  After I called him on it he bragged about it and never apologized.  You see him on the basketball forum mainly now.

To the OP, I am really happy for Gus.  He really seems to be getting everything in order now and has support of many.  Good for him.  I will have the opportunity to meet Dilly tomorrow and listen to him speak as well.  I will report back Wednesday with my findings.

Corch got nuked, came back under a different name, and got nuked again. Dude was psycho and super racist. He was really fond of saying he doesn't see color and then immediately rattling off statistics about incarceration rates and such and just generally losing his damned mind if you said it's nice to see something good happening in the community. I'm still blown away by the restraint that some of our fellow posters showed in those conversations. 

I know he had a few fans that are very established and still very active, but I haven't heard them repeat any of that type of rhetoric. I sure hope that's not still going on. 

Archived