Gus Writes Letter to Former Players

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

several of the folks wanting to replace gus named boom and brohm and others and in my personal opinion they are way worse than gus.

Just in case...Heupel is my first call.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bigbird said:

Just in case...Heupel is my first call.

if that is the ucf coach he would be my pick if gus does not make it............brilliant miinds and such.

Okay so let me do my best to respond to a couple of things:

I said SIGNIFICANTLY step back in my original post. Please re-read and catch that before the yelling commences. I realize it is not easy to get back to back final fours. So no that is not a duh statement. Admittedly, I shouldn't have to define what Significantly means. As long as you are willing to eat crow, if Gus does prove himself, then that is more than enough. I feel like if you are radical enough to jump out the window in your position on multiple threads, then be sure to be back and give credit where credit is due. I am not speaking about one specifical person. Various people act this way.

@BigWhiskey91 absolutely it the ball out the park. Gus personality is not Dabo's, and it's not Pearl's. He has never had the Matthew McConaughey "We are Marshall" persona, and he has won before without that. You absolutely can have swagger and not be that way. Nick Saban and UM have swagger, and they aren't like those guys. Let Gus be Gus. And if he fails, then critique him accordingly. If he exceeds, then praise him subsequently. My whole gist and ASSUMPTION is that whether he exceeds or fails, there will be people who won't be able to do that because their view of him is already to the extreme that their outlook of failure or success is just as radical.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Dabo and Pearls personalities really really help even when they were losing/ not winning as much. It is the Saban type of personality that only works when you win at a consistent elite all time great level like he does. You cannot have a personality like that and lose. Look at Swamp Donkey at florida. The first chance they had to can him at florida they did so. And the man made the sec title game in his first 2 seasons. Shows you how unlikeable he was and how badly they wanted to get rid of him lol. 

Every aspect of that program fell apart under McElwain and he continued to blame the failures on the previous staff. He was at UF when no one had a pulse, that’s how he got to the SEC Title twice. 

Like BigBird said, I just our old school Gus back. The Purdue attitude Gus works too. Timeouts before half to hit 50pts would be epic against a conference opponent. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We will take a step back (because DUH we are not going to a final 4 next year lol we will probaly be a bubble team with who all we lose and potentially lose) but I believe Bruce is a top 10 coach in the college game and I trust and believe in him wholeheartedly even during down years.

I already addressed this in the post above.

The second bolded is what I find curious. You believe in him in during down years because he is a top ten coach in your eyes. I find that extremely interesting because I am curious to see the response of the basketball team now that he has proven he can take them to the tourney in consecutive years and to the final four in one of them, while also winning the SEC in some form or fashion in both years. 

16 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Timeouts before half to hit 50pts would be epic against a conference opponent. 

Am I the only one that remembers Gus took timeouts against aTm late in the first half two years ago and that led to an epic punt block. Gus isn’t stupid. He knows when to take them. He didn’t take them against Tennessee mainly because Stidham couldn’t protect the ball in the first half.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

I already addressed this in the post above.

The second bolded is what I find curious. You believe in him in during down years because he is a top ten coach in your eyes. I find that extremely interesting because I am curious to see the response of the basketball team now that he has proven he can take them to the tourney in consecutive years and to the final four in one of them.

DEF!!! Glad you see where I am coming from. I have a peace of mind about Bruce that I have not had with other Head Coaches in any of the major sports because he was a proven winner before he got to Auburn AT a major program. So his track record always let me keep the faith. So that was always in the back of my mind throughout his first three years here when some people lost a little bit of hope. That and he had a massive rebuilding job in taking over from Barbee who is the worst coach in Auburn history in any major sport at Auburn. Good stuff man. I have enjoyed this. Have a great week!! Hope we get good news on the football and basketball crutin fronts. WAR EAGLE!

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

several of the folks wanting to replace gus named boom and brohm and others and in my personal opinion they are way worse than gus.

I wanted Brohm and I was def wrong in that. I will own that one. I will Take the knee and L on that one. MUHHHHHHHHHHHH BAD!!!!! But you cannot expect much from me. I am wrong way more than I am right hahahaha. I honestly cannot remember the last thing I was right on when it comes to AU. O WELL got to celebrate the small victories anytime you can get em fam! lol.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I wanted Brohm and I was def wrong in that.

Wasn’t your finest moment for sure. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Wasn’t your finest moment for sure. 

I mean if we are talking Purdue Brohm vs Auburn, then that isn’t a fair comparison. The amount of star power on the 2018 offense compared to Purdue’s players was a HEAVY mismatch. Gus absolutely did everything right that game and we should’ve waxed Purdue.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison. I think Brohm would do fine at Auburn, at least early on. Hell, every HC we’ve had since Pat Dye has either gone undefeated or won an Sec title. 

I think that was what was so attractive about the Stoops rumors. It would’ve been the first time we’ve had a proven commodity as a HC. 

2 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I mean if we are talking Purdue Brohm vs Auburn, then that isn’t a fair comparison. The amount of star power on the 2018 offense compared to Purdue’s players was a HEAVY mismatch. Gus absolutely did everything right that game and we should’ve waxed Purdue.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison. I think Brohm would do fine at Auburn, at least early on. Hell, every HC we’ve had since Pat Dye has either gone undefeated or won an Sec title. 

I think that was what was so attractive about the Stoops rumors. It would’ve been the first time we’ve had a proven commodity as a HC. 

Surely we have enough pull and cache as a top 12 program all time that we can hire away a measley ol XFL general manager right whiskey?! lol. 

I have kept the seats on the Gus Bus warm for all of you.  Well most of you...

BC0E1EF0-6AF1-428D-A75C-136DCF6DDBE5.gif

9 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I mean Gwill said before tbe game that Brohm was a “real offensive coach” and was going to show Gus what that looked like. So....

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

WO WO WO cool your jets there A&W ROOT BEER! lol. This is by no means a declaration that I am getting on that roller coaster ride from hell again.  I cannot handle it. The motion sickness is way to much for me. I have been bamboozled to many times to ever get back on and fall for that trap again. This is just me admitting to when I make COPIOUS amount of mistakes and showing YES EVEN ME can show Gus some love in some areas he excels at. WOOOOOO!!! haha. 

ee.gif

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

When ABW thinks new people are getting on the Gus Bus or that old members are coming back on FOR ONE LAST RIDE!!!!!!! lmao

vince.gif

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

YES EVEN ME can show Gus some love in some areas he excels at. 

When everyone else was thrilled about Gus’s staff recruiting so well despite the turmoil, your response was “no recruit committed to Auburn is worth an extra year with Gus.”

Color me skeptical.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WO WO WO cool your jets there A&W ROOT BEER! lol. This is by no means a declaration that I am getting on that roller coaster ride from hell again.  I cannot handle it.

But... I packed snacks.  

D00D0418-7BDE-4C01-B035-097BDF88AAA8.gif

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

When ABW thinks new people are getting on the Gus Bus or that old members are coming back on FOR ONE LAST RIDE!!!!!!! lmao

vince.gif

Fine!  We don’t want you then!

558294D3-5937-4021-B43E-EAE79C84A0DF.gif

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

But... I packed snacks.  

D00D0418-7BDE-4C01-B035-097BDF88AAA8.gif

Fine!  We don’t want you then!

558294D3-5937-4021-B43E-EAE79C84A0DF.gif

HAHAHAHHA LOVE IT!!! Your GIF game has been reaching GOAT status around here recently!!! WOOO!!! I have quite enjoyed it. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I mean Gwill said before tbe game that Brohm was a “real offensive coach” and was going to show Gus what that looked like. So....

I missed that. I spoke with Stat prior to the game and he gave me a run down of the talent difference. Our average player on offense had an average ranking coming out of HS of like 350-400 IIRC. For Purdue's defense, the average ranking was like 1500. I didnt think we would hammer them like we did, but I thought a 31-10 type game was more likely. We could've put up 100 EASILY. God I would've loved that.

7 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I missed that. I spoke with Stat prior to the game and he gave me a run down of the talent difference. Our average player on offense had an average ranking coming out of HS of like 350-400 IIRC. For Purdue's defense, the average ranking was like 1500. I didnt think we would hammer them like we did, but I thought a 31-10 type game was more likely. We could've put up 100 EASILY. God I would've loved that.

I was pleased with the outcome because sometimes we just decide not to show up.

I was not really concerned with the matchups either though. Their best offensive player was the quick receiver and I really wasn’t worried about him before the game. Overall the game played out a lot like the Virginia football game. We just looked a full step quicker. 

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I can only speak to what it comes down to for me.

If we lose games in similar fashion(s) to how we've lost them these last few years then 9-10 wins will not lead me to a positive review of the season and I would be disappointed if we didn't make an attempt to improve the situation. 

I look at it as one in the same so I would agree. In my mind you won't get to the minimum 9 'regular season' wins by losing games you have no business losing. You have to win those. I don't think he'll be around if he can't get to at least 9 wins consistently but I'm pulling for him. 

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Mikey's also a lot quicker to start slinging insults

Only every tenth time that an insult is richly deserved, and then I avoid the personal ones. Unnamed others, however, do seem to get gratification out of calling people names.  :)

3 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

hahaha because I said that all the way back in December. OOOOOOOPSIE!!!!!!!!! MUHHHHHH BAD GUYS!!!!  I think I have made a great mistake lol. But I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking pissed (Still AM! I might have a anger problem when it comes to sports! lol) at that time by how the regular season ended and was extremely emotional but HEY I WAS WRONG WRONG WRONG I WAS WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!  I was also on a Jeff Brohm and his more sophisticated passing attack HIIIIIIIIGH LMAO. And look how that turned out. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. Probaly because it happens all the time. I am numb to it! lol. 

ar.gif

scru.gif

12 hours ago, abw0004 said:

That wasn't who I was referring to, if that matters.  It was someone else who made racist and homophobic comments.  What happened with Corch was he got into an argument and didn't let it go, and then started arguing the the MODS and wouldn't stop.

This. With Titan I believe

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

He was a spiteful SOB as our OC that wanted to score as much and as often as possible on anyone. He tried to embarrass defenses and would openly mock them. That's what I miss., That's what I want him to recapture, and that's what has been missing since the 2014 TAMU game.

Beautifully put

Archived