The real story of Auburn and the NCAA

aubiefifty

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I should clarify I got the suits only because I was on a recruiting trip with my best friend who was one of the top recruits in the south in football. We got just as much if not more on trips to bammer, Vols, Ole Miss it always included money nothing big just spending money while on the visit. Heck bear promised him that his girlfriend would get free tuition and be on the cheerleading squad. Recruitng visits back then are nothing like they are now

Mr. Bremen, to the football recruit: Come back here with me, son. No, just you, son. You, in the golf cap. See that bin over there. Go take a look

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, grandpajay said:

We played Vandy in the 1955 Gator Bowl (I think), the next bowl was the 1963 team played Nebraska in the Orange Bowl (?). Probably played New Years day 1964, heart breaking loss. Last drive by Jimmy Sidle, Tucker Fredrickson and crew ended with a incomplete pass in the endzone as time expired. I lost my first football bet (10$ with my boss). Broke my heart and my wallet.

That Jan 1st '64 Orange Bowl game was the first Auburn game I saw in person. It was indeed a tough loss. Fun week in Miami though!

14 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Mr. Bremen, to the football recruit: Come back here with me, son. No, just you, son. You, in the golf cap. See that bin over there. Go take a look

I think it was Mr. Sewell....but otherwise you hit it pretty close....:)

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

That Jan 1st '64 Orange Bowl game was the first Auburn game I saw in person. It was indeed a tough loss. Fun week in Miami though!

Especially that second play

https://journalstar.com/video-claridge-s--yard-td-in-orange-bowl/youtube_78dab75c-c06c-5cdf-9127-b7f58083fe90.html

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Several years later, Jerry Popwell explained what happened through that whole first half to me. Maybe some day it will make sense.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Several years later, Jerry Popwell explained what happened through that whole first half to me. Maybe some day it will make sense.

I was in shock when I saw it

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I was in shock when I saw it

Me too, here's what I remember about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_Eve_1963_snowstorm, My family had headed home from Brilliant Al. to out home in Thomson Ga.. on New Years Eve after spending Christmas with my Grand Parents. We made it nearly to the Georgia line and were turned around by State Troopers and had to try to get back to Brilliant all the while snow continued to fall. Needless to say  it was late that night when we got back. This was in a 1959 Chevrolet Impala. way before front wheel drive.   Along the way back we took a slide toward side of the road and I can remember  seeing the tops of large pine trees below us but the car took a groove and straightened out. We fell in behind 18 wheelers and followed their tracks. We managed to got the last set of chains at a place in Jasper.Next day we watched the game with Grand Parents and didn't bet back to Ga. for a few days. I was 9 and the snow was about 17 inches in the yard . 

On 4/22/2019 at 9:34 PM, aujeff11 said:

I’m guessing she was around too, but most things she post to this day is still too tinfoil hat regarding the REC for me to take seriously. Almost like Wareagle6 with the black helicopter theories. 

It’s no big deal because I’ve always known about our major violations, but hits a little closer to home when I see our golf athletes that are still alive were getting suits too. I know others did it but we knowingly broke the rules too. Guess we really deserve an asterisk on that 1957 season. 

Mostly, I’m amazed that the NCAA could nab anybody back then with the lack of resources that they had.Surely, we would have to have a blinking, neon sign sitting adjacent to the old timey Coco Cola sign saying  “athletes, bagmen are right here, don’t tell the NCAA” for the NCAA to get us. 

We have social media and technology today that can shrink the wide world of information to a pinpoint but yet the NCAA is as inept as ever at punishing the implicated programs. 

Well you'd guess wrong.....very wrong..... but that's par for the course.

I don't care what you take seriously, but I do object to your basically calling me a liar. Just because you quite obviously have no knowledge about the REC doesn't mean anything except that you are obnoxiously ignorant about it.  Since many of the REC's recent misdeeds have been openly published in several news articles, and there have also been actual lawsuits and other records that are in the public domain ....you might want to stop posting such stupid remarks.

8 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't care what you take seriously, but I do object to your basically calling me a liar.

Though, I never called you a liar, and don’t really care that you object to something that I never said. You can sound like a tinfoil hat idiot most of the time when you talk about Bama. You can for sure object to that statement. 

Just because you quite obviously have no knowledge about the REC doesn't mean anything except that you are obnoxiously ignorant about it. 

I literally went to school at Alabama, played basketball against AJ Mccarron at the REC, and did a workstudy in the Bryant Musuem with Clem Gryska and Ken Gaddy. I know more about Bama than what you think, probably a helluva lot more than what you think you know. 

Since many of the REC's recent misdeeds have been openly published in several news articles, and there have also been actual lawsuits and other records that are in the public domain ....you might want to stop posting such stupid remarks.

Let me guess, you actually think the REC paid off the final four refs. Don’t you. 

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Though, I never called you a liar, and don’t really care that you object to something that I never said. You can sound like a tinfoil hat idiot most of the time when you talk about Bama. You can for sure object to that statement. 

I literally went to school at Alabama, played basketball against AJ Mccarron at the REC, and did a workstudy in the Bryant Musuem with Clem Gryska and Ken Gaddy. I know more about Bama than what you think, probably a helluva lot more than what you think you know. 

Let me guess, you actually think the REC paid off the final four refs. Don’t you. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

I know what they are. The machine is probably more powerful than what the REC actually is. 

Rec members mostly enjoy the mystique and enjoy the myth that they influence games, do covert operations, etc. In reality, the members basically pay to go to gatherings to eat, drink, and boast.

Alabama fans used to think the same thing about the Never to Yield foundation.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Since you have no idea who I am and what I know and have experienced...... your remarks are even more idiotic. Since "tin-foil" means something is a total fabrication it is exactly calling someone a liar.  It's obvious that you know absolutely nothing about the subject of the REC. Your best bet is to shut up before you look even more stupid.

Going to school at bammer only makes you poorly educated, and defensive about that hell-hole.  It certainly gives you no credibility. As if name dropping about minor interactions on campus puts you inside the REC power circle.....that's actually kind of pathetic that you thought it would be impressive and convincing. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I know what they are. The machine is probably more powerful than what the REC actually is. 

Rec members mostly enjoy the mystique and enjoy the myth that they influence games, do covert operations, etc. In reality, the members basically pay to go to gatherings to eat, drink, and boast.

Alabama fans used to think the same thing about the Never to Yield foundation.

No one has ever said that every single REC member has power, money and influence. Plenty of them are hapless Saban worshippers with that unmistakable bammer mindset. But they contribute their money and their votes at the polls. 

Since the Never to Yield foundation was started in 2010 in response to the media bloodbath Auburn suffered due to the Cam Newton situation... it is pretty laughable that you'd throw that out there as if it made your point. Nobody thinks it is remotely the same except you. And the NTY is pretty upfront about their purpose and origins. 

You still have no idea what you're talking about. 

38 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Since the Never to Yield foundation was started in 2010 in response to the media bloodbath Auburn suffered due to the Cam Newton situation... it is pretty laughable that you'd throw that out there as if it made your point. Nobody thinks it is remotely the same except you.

Your reading comprehension is pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Since "tin-foil" means something is a total fabrication it is exactly calling someone a liar

Well, then. I guess that makes you a liar. 

By your own logic of course.

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well, then. I guess that makes you a liar. 

Actually that makes you the liar. You're claiming to be informed about the REC because you had may have had chance encounters with well known bammers who wouldn't know you if they passed you on the street. That's the real tin-foil hat wearing right there. 

12 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Actually that makes you the liar. You're claiming to be informed about the REC because you had may have had chance encounters with well known bammers who wouldn't know you if they passed you on the street.

I mean, I worked for them. Only reason why I stopped is because I made too much money to continue the workstudy with the GI Bill. 

And Clem is dead now. 

Your ignorance is exasperating. 

7 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Actually that makes you the liar. You're claiming to be informed about the REC because you had may have had chance encounters with well known bammers who wouldn't know you if they passed you on the street. That's the real tin-foil hat wearing right there. 

The captain of bama's 1958 FB team came to work for me soon after he graduated with a degree in ME. We got to be close friends and our kids grew up together in Huntsville. He told me a lot of stuff that only someone close to FB program would know. Believe me there was more serious stuff going on that what AU got penalized for.

bama has bee cheating forever. my favorite article is one by William Bradford Huie in the old Collier's magazine. Huie is a Pulitzer Prize winner from Hartselle. Al who was at bama in 1942. It is in the board's Classics Forum but here is the link (I hope).

I'm still looking forward to seeing you sometime when we go down to Pensacola Beach. I haven't forgot;D

Come on down! It's so beautiful down here this weekend. 

Not sure I've read that article.....but I will go read it after the baseball game!  

And I am not at all surprised by your friend's experiences. It's been the bammer way for many years. 

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

The captain of bama's 1958 FB team came to work for me soon after he graduated with a degree in ME. We got to be close friends and our kids grew up together in Huntsville. He told me a lot of stuff that only someone close to FB program would know. Believe me there was more serious stuff going on that what AU got penalized for.

bama has bee cheating forever. my favorite article is one by William Bradford Huie in the old Collier's magazine. Huie is a Pulitzer Prize winner from Hartselle. Al who was at bama in 1942. It is in the board's Classics Forum but here is the link (I hope).

I'm still looking forward to seeing you sometime when we go down to Pensacola Beach. I haven't forgot;D

Nobody is saying Bama doesn’t cheat. Who doesn’t cheat? Apparently during our glory days we pushed the envelope better than most. 

This is quite the anecdotal evidence though.. And the link was basically irrelevant. Will still write a book about it later. 

On 4/27/2019 at 3:36 PM, aujeff11 said:

Nobody is saying Bama doesn’t cheat. Who doesn’t cheat? Apparently during our glory days we pushed the envelope better than most. 

This is quite the anecdotal evidence though.. And the link was basically irrelevant. Will still write a book about it later. 

A Pulitzer Prize Winner is irrelevant? Wow...

Damn there are people on this site facepalming anything these days.

34 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Pulitzer Prize is not what it used to be! They gave Pulitzers to people covering the Russia hoax that got it totally wrong, so....

57 minutes ago, toddc said:

Pulitzer Prize is not what it used to be! They gave Pulitzers to people covering the Russia hoax that got it totally wrong, so....

But Huie's was long ago when they did mean something.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Only to a bammer. They think it's a chicken;D

Archived