Softball at Kentucky Game 1

The game has been postponed until 3PM Easter Sunday. Game 2 will follow.  

I am assuming the postponement is weather related.  

I was fixin' to cuss the SEC network for replacing our softball game with the cringin' turds spring game. Thanks!

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

The game has been postponed until 3PM Easter Sunday. Game 2 will follow.  

I am assuming the postponement is weather related.  

Yep, my dad lives in Frankfort and it was snowing today. They were expecting more storms today.  Frankfort is less than an hour from Lexington. 

Temperature is 41 right now in Lexington.  High Sunday 66, and 75 on Monday; so should have good softball weather.  Kentucky is a team about like us, with good hitting and so-so pitching,  Neither team has a pitcher with an SEC ERA under 3.5.  They mainly rely on Grace Baalman, who gave us little trouble last year, and Autumn Humes, who did.  Their SEC BA is .288 compared to .289 for us.  ( I hadn't realized that McCrackin is hitting only .245 in conference.)  Their biggest threat is 3B Abbey Cheek, hitting .463 in SEC play, with 9 homers. Their shortstop Katie Reed is quite good at the position, and a serious threat at the plate as well. She homered against us last year. Their catcher Kayla Kowalik is a freshman with no homers, but a very good hitter. Kowalik has thrown out only 2 of 30 baserunners attempting to steal, so expect us to run. UK is 58 of 70 on stolen bases this year, compared to our 65 of 80. Kentucky played a very challenging preconference schedule, so their record is 26-18; but they played teams like Oklahoma and UCLA. For their first conference series, they traveled to Columbia, SC, and stomped a mudhole in the GAmecocks, outscoring them 21-3 in the sweep. They also swept Miss. St., but have lost their other three series, including Arkansas and the most recent one, LSU. They also lost their midweek to Louisville this week. It should be an interesting series with lots of action.

Numerous errors and boneheaded plays in the bottom 3rd and we are down 4-0. Giving this game away.

20 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Numerous errors and boneheaded plays in the bottom 3rd and we are down 4-0. Giving this game away.

Ugly ballgame and a really pissed off coach if you heard his interview a couple innings ago.....he was barely civil. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Ugly ballgame and a really pissed off coach if you heard his interview a couple innings ago.....he was barely civil. 

We're too late in the year to be looking like the bad news bears out there!

22 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

We're too late in the year to be looking like the bad news bears out there!

The Georgia and *SOUTH CAROLINA* series were huge missed opportunities. 

That makes zero sense.  How can the kentucky series be a missed opportunity?  We are still in game 1.

4 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

That makes zero sense.  How can the kentucky series be a missed opportunity?  We are still in game 1.

I clearly meant the South Carolina series. Lighten up francis. Can ya give me time to edit before you growl at me with your patented snarl?

My gosh......what just happened? ....miss play, did not chase the ball down...more runs scored.....unearned I guess.   Game is almost over but maybe time to exchange a couple players.....this is awful. 

Agreed.  We didn't even know that was strike 3 and 3rd out.  Their heads are not in this game.  Two in the glove drops by AR, a play at home not made by Tay Snow, a ball getting by CG in left.  All that in one inning. SMH. 

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Partied hardy last night I guess

hope so...at least that would be a good excuse....

Have to say I don't quite understand why Dean insists on starting Handley in the first game.  What I've seen in the 4-5 years I've been watching the sport is:  best pitcher in the first game and third game.  (And not just Auburn) Realize we don't have an ace since Martin went down, but clearly Swindle is more reliable than Handley.  Pitching gurus, enlighten me.

5 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Have to say I don't quite understand why Dean insists on starting Handley in the first game.  What I've seen in the 4-5 years I've been watching the sport is:  best pitcher in the first game and third game.  (And not just Auburn) Realize we don't have an ace since Martin went down, but clearly Swindle is more reliable than Handley.  Pitching gurus, enlighten me.

Swindle is the best pitcher? Handley gives up walks, Swindle gives up hits. Harris be pitching way more than she has been, with the lowest career ERA of the three and the best peripherals as well (significantly lower WHIP).

This game was a story of half-innings:

In the top halves, the Kentucky defense and pitching beat Auburn.

In the bottom halves, Auburn's defense and pitching beat Auburn.

Ugly loss, no way to sugar coat it.

Archived