depth chart, position analysis

aubiefifty

plainsman.com

Projected post-spring depth chart, position analysis for Auburn offense

4/18/2019, 8:56am

13-16 minutes

So… now what?

Spring ball has concluded for Auburn after 15 spring practices, including three scrimmages, one of which took place this past Saturday in front of 41,489 fans at the annual A-Day spring game. Now, with players technically off-duty until the official summer workout regimen commences, seventh-year head coach Gus Malzahn and his staff are set to devise their plan of attack for the summer.

That plan will include exit surveys and interviews for position groups, analysis of how the strategies for spring practice panned out, and re-evaluations of lineups.

“We’ll assess everything,” Malzahn said after A-Day. “We’ll have a good week this coming up week to assess all positions and really step back and kind of get a good plan about… who we’re going to be next year.”

With 135 days until Auburn’s season opener at AT&T Stadium against Oregon, a breakdown of players, questions left unanswered through 15 spring practices and a projected depth chart for the Tigers’ post-spring roster, beginning with the offense:

As Auburn spring games go, this year’s edition of A-Day was as eye-opening as they come. As promised, Auburn’s offense returned to its rapid-fire pace with Malzahn as the play-caller, and the players reaped the benefits. In the first half, where the first- and second-team players took most of their snaps, the Orange and Blue team offenses racked up 359 total yards.

In that offense, former blue-chip prospects Gatewood and Nix were the most impressive.

In speaking to coaches and players all spring, it’s been apparent that the quarterback battle has been a two-horse race between Gatewood and Nix for some time. Gatewood came out as the starter Saturday, sharing time with Nix in the first team offense.

Malzahn insisted postgame that’s just how offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham’s “random” quarterback rotation ended up shuffling out in the third scrimmage, but Gatewood and Nix proved their starting worth on the field. Gatewood went 8-for-12 with 130 yards and two touchdowns against Nix’s 11-of-17 passing for 155 yards and two scores. Nix also tossed a pick in the second half.

Both seemed more than comfortable in the sets Malzahn set up for them — tight but pass-heavy, with an emphasis on downfield shots.

Gatewood is a 6-foot-6, 235-pound monster of an athlete who, according to teammates, is near impossible to tackle in the open field. However, while donning an orange noncontact jersey in the spring game, his handful of nifty runs were hurriedly blown dead by Malzahn, who stood behind the offense, quick to his whistle.

So, the Jacksonville, Florida, product was restricted to the pocket, where he seemed comfortable uncorking a few long balls. Meanwhile, Nix, who is considered the best passer of the bunch, was precise with his throws, yes, but also displayed veteran-level awareness and speed when scrambling out of the pocket. His dual-threat prowess was most evident on an 11-yard touchdown pass to Eli Stove on a free play after an offsides penalty.

Bo Nix (10) runs with the ball during A-Day 2019, on Saturday, April 13, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Willis threw the scrimmage’s first touchdown on a deep shot to redshirt freshman Matthew Hill and displayed his signature quickness on read-option looks. And Sandberg, the 23-year-old southpaw, had just one incompletion on 8-for-9 passing. 

Neither Willis nor Sandberg are out of the competition, but as summer turns to fall camp within the coming months, expect Gatewood and Nix to be the contenders in a fight to the finish for the under-center duties come August 31 against Oregon.

Left tackle

Prince Tega Wanogho Jr, senior

Bailey Sharp, senior

Kameron Stutts, redshirt freshman

Wanogho is one of Auburn’s top NFL talents on the entire roster. After electing to return for his final season on The Plains, Wanogho expressed in the spring his desire to continue to work on fundamentals. As a former defensive tackle, Wanogho possesses the size necessary to become an elite SEC left tackle. Position coach J.B. Grimes will look to polish off Wanogho’s basics come fall camp.

Meanwhile, the senior Sharp impressed coaches as one of the O-line’s top performers this spring. If any of the other four slots along the line need shoring up for one reason or another, look for Sharp to be one of Grimes’ first options off the bench.

Left guard

Marquel Harrell, senior

Tashawn Manning, sophomore

Alec Jackson, sophomore

Brodarious Hamm, sophomore

Like Wanogho, Harrell elected to return for his final season. He started all 13 games for the Tigers last season and received the 2018 blocking lineman of the season award prior to A-Day.

Manning is a worthy backup but keep an eye on converted defensive tackle Alec Jackson. Senior right tackle Jack Driscoll said this spring that Jackson learned Auburn’s entire offensive playbook before the first scrimmage, then proceeded to hold his own against the Tigers’ elite D-line in that scrimmage.

Center

Kaleb Kim, senior

Nick Brahms, sophomore

Jalil Irvin, redshirt freshman

Kamaar Bell, freshman

Both Kim and Brahms were given chances at center last season, and both were wildly inconsistent. But, now fully healthy, Kim has impressed this spring as the literal centerpiece of the all-senior starting offensive line. Look for Brahms to work hard behind him, though, as he prepares for a possible two seasons as the starter after Kim graduates.

Right guard

Mike Horton, senior

Austin Troxell, redshirt freshman

Brodarious Hamm, sophomore

Keiondre Jones, freshman

Horton serves as the shakiest starter on the offensive line heading into the summer. He severely struggled at times last season. If things go south for him, Hamm and Troxell, who is listed at tackle but succeeded as a backup guard last year, are prepared to step in. The 6-foot-4, 340-pound Jones, a true freshman, could also turn heads if given playing time with the backups against lesser opponents.

Right tackle

Jack Driscoll, senior

Austin Troxell, redshirt freshman

Prince Michael Sammons, junior

As Driscoll’s swan song on The Plains plays out next season, Troxell will patiently wait for his opportunity. 

Tight end

John Samuel Shenker, sophomore

Tyler Fromm, freshman

Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman

Shenker quietly snared a trio of passes out of the tight end and H-back slots at A-Day. He also had a touchdown from Nix erased by a penalty at the goal-line. After a pair of touchdown receptions last season for Shenker, it appears Malzahn may finally be more inclined to use the tight ends and H-backs in his up-tempo system.

Coaches are high on Fromm’s potential, so he’ll likely get snaps in mop-up duty. The same can be said for fellow true freshman Luke Deal, but coaches will be cautious as he recovers from a knee injury.

Look for Joiner to line up everywhere on offense, including tight end, H-back, receiver and running back. As Malzahn has put it, there’s not much wrong you can do with a quick and physical athlete who’s 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds.

H-back

Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman OR Spencer Nigh, senior

Auburn hopes Joiner most succeeds out of this slot. But players and coaches have reiterated that Nigh has been a great blocker this spring. Malzahn will look to balance the two in an effort to replace the multi-faceted Chandler Cox.

Running back

JaTarvious Whitlow, redshirt sophomore

Kam Martin, senior

Shaun Shivers, sophomore

D.J. Williams, freshman

Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman

Mark Antony-Richards, freshman OR Malik Miller, redshirt junior

In a multitude of ways, “Boobee” Whitlow has improved this spring from his SEC All-Freshman campaign in 2018.

He continues to be the Tigers’ energetic leader off the field. On it, he looks shiftier and more powerful. The senior Martin will be relied on after steadily improving last season, but it’s Whitlow who is expected to carry the torch and give Auburn a 1,000-yard rusher in 2019 after the nine-year streak was snapped last season.

JaTarvious Whitlow (28) runs the ball during A-Day on Saturday, April 13, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Williams has had one of the best camps for an Auburn freshman in recent years, but fans are forgetting the impact Shivers had one this offense a year ago. Williams will get his touches and will likely skip a redshirt season in 2019, but Shivers should remain the potent third option behind Whitlow and Martin.

Again — Joiner should get some work in the backfield. Malzahn unveiled some two-back sets this spring, with Joiner involved in most of them as a weapon in the receiving game out of the backfield. Those dual-back formations are reason to believe true freshman blue-chip Mark-Antony Richards could get playing time in mop-up duty.

It also can’t be overlooked that redshirt junior Malik Miller had four touchdowns last season and was a real threat in certain packages. He’ll have his opportunities next season as a veteran. 

Big slot (Y) receiver

Seth Williams, sophomore

Marquis McClain, junior OR Sal Cannella, senior

Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman OR Shedrick Jackson, sophomore

If a receiver can block, he’ll play in Malzahn’s offense. That’s why Jackson and McClain are listed here. 

Williams’ physicality was an issue at the beginning of the spring according to coaches and players, but the standout sophomore showed why he was tops in the SEC in yards per catch last year with a 100-yard, two-touchdown performance at A-Day that earned him Offensive MVP. His catch radius is elite, evident in a touchdown snag over two defenders and a big gainer along the sideline, the latter caught as he climbed a defensive back.

We keep hearing about Cannella’s improvement, and while the senior did take a step forward last season, this position should be dominated by Williams.

Split end (X) receiver

Marquis McClain, senior

Anthony Schwartz, sophomore OR Matthew Hill, redshirt freshman

Sal Cannella, senior OR Seth Williams, sophomore

Overall, Auburn boasts great versatility in its receivers room for 2019, so it will be difficult to predict where each wideout will find their respective niche. That complicates further when Schwartz, who missed all of spring ball with track and field duties, is tossed back into the mix.

The X spot is Darius Slayton’s old position. Auburn doesn’t have anyone on the roster with the NFL-caliber blend of speed and size of Slayton, so Malzahn, Dillingham and position coach Kodi Burns will likely try a multitude of lineups. Theoretically, McClain is the top candidate. He worked with the first team at the position for most of spring, but he also went catchless last season, so the jury remains out.

Marquis McClain (17) attempts to catch the ball during A-Day on Saturday, April 13, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Hill burst onto the scene at A-Day with over 100 yards and two touchdowns, flashing the long arms and deep-ball awareness we’d been hearing about since he arrived as Auburn’s top-rated receiver in the 2018 class. Look for he and Schwartz to be options to stretch the defense with speed, while Cannella and Williams can be subbed in here in back-shoulder and goal-line situations.

Small slot receiver

Anthony Schwartz, sophomore

Eli Stove, junior OR Will Hastings, senior

Hastings dominated over the middle of the field at this position in 2017, but after two knee injuries in the last year, don’t expect Auburn to rush him back into things.

Besides, Malzahn can rely on Schwartz’s explosiveness and Stove’s experience here. Now free of the knee brace on his right leg, Stove has returned to form this spring and is fired up about the opportunity to start next season. Meanwhile, the small slot presents another opportunity for the speedy Schwartz to get the ball in his hands down the field.

In all, Auburn will likely be comfortable with all three options come midseason. The depth of the receiving corps just can’t be overstated.

Flanker (Z) receiver

Eli Stove, junior OR Anthony Schwartz, sophomore

Matthew Hill, redshirt freshman OR Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman

Like Hastings in the slot two seasons ago, Stove thrived as the speed sweep flanker in 2017. Schwartz filled in masterfully last season, tallying 211 yards and five scores on the ground for an average of 7.8 yards per carry. That’s compared to 292 yards and 10.8 yards per touch at the position for Stove in 2017. And, obviously, both possess great hands in the short to intermediate routes that come with the flanker role.

Eli Stove (12) runs the ball on A-Day Saturday, April 13, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

The offensive staff is determined to work both Hill and Joiner into the offense next year, and considering players have been calling Hill “savvy” and Joiner “untackleable” for the past year, this seems like good of a spot as any to get them involved going side to side.

On 4/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, Gene Loblaw said:

I feel like I heard nothing but really positive things about Brodarius Hamm a a year ago and now I hear nothing about him

During spring ball, it was mentioned that he was back at full strength  and playing well.  Remember, he is cancer free and has fought his way back to the playing field. 

8 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

During spring ball, it was mentioned that he was back at full strength  and playing well.  Remember, he is cancer free and has fought his way back to the playing field. 

He had cancer too? I thought it was just Ta Shawn Manning? I hope I’m not sounding crass but I didn’t think Bro Hamm had cancer but I could easily be wrong 

51 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

He had cancer too? I thought it was just Ta Shawn Manning? I hope I’m not sounding crass but I didn’t think Bro Hamm had cancer but I could easily be wrong 

Cancer survivors Hamm, Manning targeting return to field

ByBRANDON MARCELLO Feb 2, 2017 

Share4 Comments

Tashawn Manning, left, and Brodarius Hamm, right, share their stories of surviving cancer during Auburn's National Signing Day broadcast Feb. 1, 2017. (Photo: Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN, Ala. — Brodarious Hamm and Tashawn Manning's bouts with cancer are over and they’re ready to move forward and possibly get on the football field later this month.

The question is whether they will be physically ready to see immediate action on the field, but both linemen and Auburn’s coaches are hopeful as they eye the target date of Feb. 28, the start of spring practices.

“We’re hoping,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Wednesday. “I’ll tell everybody the day or two before spring ball, but I’m hoping both of those guys will be able to go through spring. They’re off to a good start right now. Both of the guys are very athletic and we feel like they can help us but I’ll give you an update probably in a couple days before (spring practice). Right now we’d like them to go through.”

Hamm and Manning were originally members of the 2016 signing class at Auburn. Their stories battling the diseases and defeating cancer have drawn plenty of well-wishers and fans during their journeys from high school to Auburn.

Manning, a defensive tackle, was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia and started eight months of chemotherapy treatment on Thanksgiving Day in 2015. He was declared cancer free in July and enrolled in classes in January. Hamm was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma in March of 2016, one month after signing with Auburn, and underwent treatments until November. He said Wednesday he was declared cancer free Jan. 3.

“I’m really looking forward to that day I get to put on pads and hit,” Manning said Wednesday on Auburn’s National Signing Day broadcast.

Manning said he is not yet at 100 percent strength.

“Treatment was tough but I felt like I had to be strong for others around me, rather than myself because I had a lot of people looking up to me,” Hamm said. “I wasn’t going to let cancer beat me.”

Hamm was rated a three-star prospect and the nation’s No. 32 offensive tackle by the 247Sports Composite. Manning was a three-star prospect as well and was rated the nation’s No. 61 defensive tackle in 2016.

4COMMENTS

“I feel blessed. I truly do,” Manning said. “i feel like I have the opportunity to do something I really want to do.”

This thread deserves more discussion & attention

So the offense would look something like this:

Seth Williams                    Wanogho     Harrell     Kim     Horton     Driscoll          Schwartz          Hill

Gatewood

Joiner

Whitlow

That's the group I'd like to see at least. The receivers should be rotating a fair amount with our versatile group. Stove and Hastings will be key members and one has to think McClain will either rise up this year or officially fall off into irrelevancy. Personally, I really like the young trio of Williams-Schwartz-Hill and I think we should really look at using more 4 & 5 Wide Receivers sets.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This thread deserves more discussion & attention

So the offense would look something like this:

Seth Williams                    Wanogho     Harrell     Kim     Horton     Driscoll          Schwartz          Hill

Gatewood

Joiner

Whitlow

That's the group I'd like to see at least. The receivers should be rotating a fair amount with our versatile group. Stove and Hastings will be key members and one has to think McClain will either rise up this year or officially fall off into irrelevancy. Personally, I really like the young trio of Williams-Schwartz-Hill and I think we should really look at using more 4 & 5 Wide Receivers sets.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Stove reclaim the slot and Schwartz move out to take Slayton's spot. 

I'd guess Nigh, Shenker or Wilson at HBack, with Joiner being more of a super-sub in the slot, wildcat, HBack, TE, whatever. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Stove reclaim the slot and Schwartz move out to take Slayton's spot. 

I'd guess Nigh, Shenker or Wilson at HBack, with Joiner being more of a super-sub in the slot, wildcat, HBack, TE, whatever. 

Valid points. I’m not overly sold on any of the H-back options we currently have but I agree they’ll likely be there often.

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Valid points. I’m not overly sold on any of the H-back options we currently have but I agree they’ll likely be there often.

Hopefully one of the new TEs can re-legitimize that position, too. 

Meant to add in my first response: agreed that this is a good thread to focus on and have discussion in, so thanks for reviving it.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Don't sleep on JSS. His blocking really came on last year and routinely was the most aggressive blocker at the PoA.  I think he will make an impact this year.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't sleep on JSS. His blocking really came on last year and routinely was the most aggressive blocker at the PoA.  I think he will make an impact this year.

Would be very happy for that to happen! I think my pessimism comes from a lack of well heralded players at the position. We've been spoiled with some solid/well-known HBs lately. 

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He reminded me of a cross between Prosch and Cox. Good hands to go with that blocking prowess. I'm honestly surprised we don't hear his name more because he looked the part whenever he was on the field IMO. 

I got a feeling we are gonna see 2 offensive sets of skilled players so that Gus can run at his speed.  We have the depth and talent to run the offense efficiently with both groups.  My only fear is the play calling in the red zone, he has always over thought everything and gotten too cute with things and not shown any sort of solid plan of attack.  Too many negative plays.  We really don't have any quick passing plays that involve throwing the ball past the line of scrimmage, I hope that changes as well.  We have the talent to not have to rely on gimmick plays and should win one on one situations.

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I got a feeling we are gonna see 2 offensive sets of skilled players so that Gus can run at his speed.  We have the depth and talent to run the offense efficiently with both groups.  My only fear is the play calling in the red zone, he has always over thought everything and gotten too cute with things and not shown any sort of solid plan of attack.  Too many negative plays.  We really don't have any quick passing plays that involve throwing the ball past the line of scrimmage, I hope that changes as well.  We have the talent to not have to rely on gimmick plays and should win one on one situations.

Yes, his red zone offense has been woeful ever since he lost his tank of a qb Cam Newton. Yes, again, we need much less passes behind the LOS.

Here is a should statement; we should be able to force the ball in behind an all senior offensive line.

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Yeah. It was really frustrating to see Chip introduce new and successful RZ wrinkles against Washington, only to watch them immediately disappear for eternity. Not that we spent a ton of time in the red zone after that. 

We should be nasty in short yardage situations. 

I just have to see what is up with the QB's. I'm also curious as to how our linebackers will perform. I think I'm in the minority as far as running back go but I want to see a new starter at hb. But we'll see.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I just have to see what is up with the QB's. I'm also curious as to how our linebackers will perform. I think I'm in the minority as far as running back go but I want to see a new starter at hb. But we'll see.

QB is a huge?, but I’m hoping dline and secondary can help lbs until they get their footing. Who do you like at hb? Shenker ... Maybe Joiner can be the Swiss Army Knife but not hb in a blocking role.

3 hours ago, toddc said:

QB is a huge?, but I’m hoping dline and secondary can help lbs until they get their footing. Who do you like at hb? Shenker ... Maybe Joiner can be the Swiss Army Knife but not hb in a blocking role.

I like shivers but I don't know how well he call hold up. I don't think whitlow shouldn't play but I wonder about his big play ability. I feel the same as you in your other points 

Anyone know which oline man got hurt in spring (knee) and the extent of the injuries? Title of an insider article 

21 hours ago, toddc said:

, but I’m hoping dline and secondary can help lbs until they get their footing.

We might be hurting at safety

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

I like shivers but I don't know how well he call hold up. I don't think whitlow shouldn't play but I wonder about his big play ability.

I feel the same way about Whitlow. IMO, he's not a #1 back. I think Shivers has the tools and mindset/attitude to be a #1.

Dyer was 5'9" and ~210 lbs

Noel Devine was 5'8" and ~ 180

Shivers is 5'7" and ~ 187- 193 lbs

They aren't built that differently, but Shivers,like Devine, is a TD every time he touches the ball. And unlike others, he runs equally well inside or out.

23 hours ago, cole256 said:

I am glad someone else said it. I appreciate whitlow but there is something about him that doesn’t scream game changer in my eyes. Of course I could be complete wrong.

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am glad someone else said it. I appreciate whitlow but there is something about him that doesn’t scream game changer in my eyes. Of course I could be complete wrong.

I don't see him as game changer but strikes me as a guy you might be able to count on when you need a few yards the hard way. 

some plays ive watched and i think with the right playcalling and Oline he could be a heisman candidate and sometimes i feel like we are playing a Hand me down back, no offense intended. I think a lot of it is just him developing as a RB. Coach Dilly said he was without a doubt most improved so Im excited. I think he can be a stud

Archived