Good Book Recommendations for War History Buffs

Adam Makos is a really, really good writer who does an amazing amount of research for his stories.  His books read like novels and often cover stories from both sides.  Highly recommended!

"Devotion" by Adam Makos  (Korea naval air support)

"A Higher Call" by Adam Makos (WWII strategic bombing)

"Spearhead" by Adam Makos (WWII tank warfare)

https://adammakos.com/books.html

Worth mentioning that Spearhead prominently features an AU grad and Florence AL native as one of the main characters. 

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

Worth mentioning that Spearhead prominently features an AU grad and Florence AL native as one of the main characters. 

YES!   I forgot to mention that.  Buck Marsh.  He retired in Auburn after the war.

Check out the extra material at

https://adammakos.com/books.html

There's a video of an interview with him.  (Click on "Spearhead")

Love war history. Books, movies, TV, whatever.

'All the Light We Cannot See' was really good. 

'The Things They Carried' by Tim O'Brien is by far my favorite war book. 

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Flyboys: A True Story of Courage

by James Bradley

A good one, but a tough read.

Read it.  It's good. "Flags of our Fathers" is also good.

It's been a while since I referenced this author, but he is another favorite of mine for 21st century authors. If you haven't read any of these, you really owe it to yourself to do so.

"Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors"  by James D, Hornfischer

(One of the best tactical naval battle accounts I have ever read.  A little-known story that will make any American proud of their heritage.  It will stay with you.)

Also,  by the same author:

"Ship of Ghosts"

"Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal"

"The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific"

A great companion book to "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" is: "Sea of Thunder", by Evan Thomas  which provides an overview of the Pacific campaign from the perspective of four major commanders, American and Japanese. It includes the events that occurred in "Last Stand".

I have a few more on my list of 21st century WWII histories worthy of attention:

"Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys" by Donald Miller (2006)

"The Ghost Mountain Boys - Their Epic March and the Terrifying Battle for New Guinea - the Forgotten War of the South Pacific" by James Campbell (2007)

"The Ultimate Battle - Okinawa 1945 - The Last Epic Struggle of World War II" by Bill Sloan (2007)

"Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends" by William "Wild Bill" Guarnere and Edward "Babe" Heffron with Robyn Post, (2008) (101st Airborne)

"The Few" by Alex Kershaw (2011)  (Americans in the Battle of Britain)

Infrantry Soldier: Holding the Line at the Battle of the Bulge, by George W. Neill (2002)

"Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the War Against Nazi Germany" by Donald Miller, (2006)

Of course, there are too many 20th century histories to get into. I am assuming anyone interested in these recent histories have already read many of the classics published in the 20th century.

We'll leave Korea and Vietnam histories for another day, except I cannot help but mention one, because it is so good and it was published just last year in October:

"On Desperate Ground: The Marines At the Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle" by  Hampton Sides (2018) 

Just like "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors", it is truly inspiring. One of those books that stay with your forever.

Needless to say, these should all be available from your local library.

@homersapien

When I was in Denver a few weeks ago, Adam Makos was actually doing a book-signing for Spearhead. It was a pretty big ordeal. People were lined up around the block, and they had a bunch of WWII vehicles/tanks etc. 

Makos.jpg

18 hours ago, Barnacle said:

@homersapien

When I was in Denver a few weeks ago, Adam Makos was actually doing a book-signing for Spearhead. It was a pretty big ordeal. People were lined up around the block, and they had a bunch of WWII vehicles/tanks etc. 

Makos.jpg

Sweet.

That's an M3 Stuart. Effective against infantry, but God forbid you encounter a Panther. 

Unfortunately, you weren't much better off in a Sherman.  This was one of the themes in "Spearhead", which focuses on the crew of one of the new U.S. "Pershing" tanks which was roughly equivalent to the Panther.  It was the only Pershing supplied to their unit of Shermans, and as a consequence, they assumed the most dangerous roll - point tank - in every advance.  

Regarding Makos, he's only 38 years old.  And as I've said, his research is astounding.  He makes an effort to contact, interview and photo the characters portrayed in his book if still alive. He even arranges for the antagonists to meet.

I would love to meet him. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recommend the author, Ian W. Toll, and his trilogy of of WWII in the Pacific:  his website

Pacific Crucible

The Conquering Tide

and a soon to be released final book (it's been promised to be released this year) 

Very engrossing writer.  His description of the aftermath of Pearl Harbor in Pacific Crucible is heartbreaking & riveting at the same time.  Also, a very good description of the lead up to the war from the Japanese perspective. 

Six Frigates is also excellent.  Highly recommend it as well.   

Archived