Softball at Kentucky - Game 3

Dang...that was a rocket...and UK is up 1-0 in the bottom of 6th.  inning not over but this is not good...

AU with one more shot at them. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ScubaSteve said:

Did our bats get lost on the way to Kentucky?   We just can’t hit anything and they can’t miss all weekend.

Been a staple of Dean’s tenure unfortunately 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Harris pitched well.  Hate to see her get pulled but it was time.  HR and shot to the wall.  

no such thing as a stopper for AU now...just hope a different look from the circle might help but this game just came apart in a matter of minutes....Harris out for a couple batters and then back in the game...

For Dean to be a pitching coach, shouldn't we have better pitching?   How long does he get with mediocre product he is putting on the field.  We are better than this. 

Yes. Pitching is Deans forte but it’s not his fault his ace pitcher is out probably for the year. 

Swindle was never going to be an ace and has to have good pitch placement bc she can’t strike batters out. 

He better bring in some quality pitching or he will be looking elsewhere. 

Ballgame.   Not good.   Pitching and hitting are our weaknesses. Our approach at the plate is awful.   We don't swing until we get a strike in most cases.   I would like to see us get more aggressive.  

I guess Dean gets a little consideration because of Martin injury but seems his "seat" is probably going to be getting warm pretty soon.   AU stepped up big time to support softball....upgraded the field, paying real money for a head coach with Clint and now Dean.   We can't let this program get away from us.   CMD has not been here long but with the talent, could have just been in a position to re-load rather than struggle.

Team is still ranked but the sweep is gonna hurt ...and some tough games ahead. 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes. Pitching is Deans forte but it’s not his fault his ace pitcher is out probably for the year. 

Swindle was never going to be an ace and has to have good pitch placement bc she can’t strike batters out. 

He better bring in some quality pitching or he will be looking elsewhere. 

No, it's not his fault Martin got hurt but he should be able to Coach up our pitchers and recruit better pitchers. 

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

No, it's not his fault Martin got hurt but he should be able to Coach up our pitchers and recruit better pitchers. 

And for a team ranked in top 4 of SEC hitting against a team ranked 11th in pitching we did nothing w our hitting this weekend. 

For @AU64 and other interested parties, there were four sac bunts attempted in this game, all early in the game. Both of Auburn's were total failures, infield popup outs. Both of Kentucky's were "successful" in that they each moved a runner one base in return for a wasted out. What's notable is that none of the runners that were on base when the bunts were attempted scored.

Need one run in the last inning or two, with a skilled bunter at the plate and no outs? Sure, try it then. Surrendering an out early in the game at the expense of killing a possible big inning doesn't make any sense to me. But since both coaches tried it, I suppose that's "smart coaching". NOT! :)

Kind of reminds me of the horrible road trip to Mizzou last year. Except Mother Nature was kind and canceled one of those games, so that was only a two-game sweep.

BB King tune about Auburn's softball for the past two years.

11 hours ago, around4ever said:

Ballgame.   Not good.   Pitching and hitting are our weaknesses. Our approach at the plate is awful.   We don't swing until we get a strike in most cases.   I would like to see us get more aggressive.  

It does seem like we almost always "take" the first pitch; rarely see a swing in that situation and opponents seem to know it.  It's almost like a 3-0 count with high probability of a good pitch to hit.  Puts the hitter in the hole right away.  Get the impression too many of our batters are swinging for the fences.  That entire series was painful to watch.  I believe the Kentucky pitcher, Baalman, was 6-8 prior to our series and she shut us out in two games.  Not sure what to expect going forward with our obvious limitations.

Archived