Dillingham on running backs

toddc

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/04/auburn-oc-multiple-1000-yard-rushers-is-realistic.html

Auburn OC: Multiple 1,000-yard rushers is ‘realistic’

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

Updated 12:55 PM; Today 10:28 AM

Shaun Shivers is currently on the track team. Can he run for 1,000 yards at Auburn next season, too?

One of the first questions that Auburn offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham fielded from a crowd of AU fans was about who the most improved player was of the running backs and wide receivers.

There was little hesitation from Dillingham, standing behind a podium at Eagle Ranch just outside Atlanta. He said it was JaTarvious Whitlow.

Keep in mind that Dillingham only started on the job in December, and the improvement question related to the offseason and spring practices. And Whitlow was already pretty good last season to begin with.

Last season, Whitlow was the go-to guy among a host of go-to players. Four players carried for at least 236 yards, and no one carried for more than 827 yards — which was Whitlow.

So the question is, with a new OC, and a new running backs coach in Cadillac Williams, will Auburn look for one guy? Or will it stick with using a host of running backs?

“I think when you’re a team that wants to be able to run the ball, throw vertical play-action, you’re going to have to have multiple ‘backs and your’e going to have to have multiple ‘backs who can do various things,” Dillingham told reporters. “Because when you have different players who can line up on the same spot on the field, defenses have to play those players differently. The more people you can put in different spots, the more things defenses have to prepare for.”

It’s not a super clear-cut answer. Basically just that they could utilize different backs in different offensive situations and points in the game.

One that Dillingham was clear about was his answer to a question of whether or it’s realistic for Auburn to have multiple 1,000-yard rushes this season.

“I think it’s always realistic,” he said.

Head coach Gus Malzahn demoted the last running backs coach, Tim Horton, in all likelihood because he didn’t like the output from his running backs in last-year’s offense. The real question for Auburn is if they’ll rely on a workhorse.

At Memphis last season, the school where Dillingham was previously the OC, there were two 1,000-yard rushers. Darrell Henderson had an astounding 1,966 yards and, and Patrick Taylor Jr. had 1,189 yards. Auburn would sign up for that output any season.

But what might not translate over to AU from Memphis is the number of run plays. When asked what the run-pass ratio might be next season, Dillingham told fans that it would hopefully be 50-50 — and at Memphis there were 202 more running plays.

For Auburn, the competition this season will come down to Whitlow, Shaun Shivers and Kam Martin. In addition, WR Anthony Schwartz will get carries in certain offensive situations.

Whitlow is the proven up-and-comer. Shivers is the intriguing speedster, currently honing his skills on the track team. Martin is the elder statesman, a senior who’s greatest asset at this point might just be leadership.

In Dillingham’s eyes, though, all three could rush for 1,000 yards.

“Your goals should be to a point where it’s, good luck, people laugh at you,” Dillingham said. “Every year I would hope we would have multiple backs that my goal is to run for 1,000 yards and I would hope every ‘back on our roster that was his goal. And that’s not going to happen but hopefully for two of them it does. Three of them, who knows?”

I don't know, I think the only way we get two backs over 1,000 is if Gatewood starts at QB and runs for a grand. Of course it would be nice to see, and Shivers' home run speed makes it interesting (imagine if he has 10 carries of 50+ yards...that's over halfway there), but Gus will have to call more than 50% run plays for it to happen for two RBs. And, quite honestly, with Williams and Richards, we'll have two more big, grind-it-out backs to take on the load, so it's conceivable that Auburn could go crazy with rushing yards and no one get to a thousand. Personally, I think Whitlow hits that mark and everyone else spreads the yards out amongst each other (and likely either Richards or Williams redshirts), but hopefully it'll be exciting to watch it all play out this fall.

It’s been a minute since I’ve been this excited about the totality of our running backs! If two or three of these guys do what they are capable of we’re going to have a lot of fun watching them. Add Joey Gatewood into the mix , and “holy cow college”, we could be back in the RBU discussion. A running qb might just be what CGM’s offense needs to get on track again, with him calling plays. If our receiving corp can put some pressure on the opposition in defending them, well then ...RBU

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Gus will have to call more than 50% run plays

Has he ever not done this?

Last year might have been the most balanced he's been in terms of plays called and we still ran it 10 times more per game, and that was likely because our offense was terrible for much of the season and we were always behind the sticks.

Some of those 10 extra runs were scrambles and sacks. Maybe enough to balance it out. But again, last year was abnormal. In 2017, we ran it over 18 times more per game. 2016 it was 27 more, 2015 it was 21 1/2 more... and I know I don't even need to look at the Nick Marshall years...

Oh, and when he was airing it out at Tulsa at 30 attempts per game, he was still running the ball 48 times a game. 

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

If two or three of these guys do what they are capable of we’re going to have a lot of fun watching them. Add Joey Gatewood into the mix , and “holy cow college”, we could be back in the RBU discussion.

Thank you for this. Seriously.

(Hopefully if Bo starts or is forced into action, his skill set would be enough to similarly force the defense to be more honest. Your point stands.)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Has he ever not done this?

Last year might have been the most balanced he's been in terms of plays called and we still ran it 10 times more per game, and that was likely because our offense was terrible for much of the season and we were always behind the sticks.

Some of those 10 extra runs were scrambles and sacks. Maybe enough to balance it out. But again, last year was abnormal. In 2017, we ran it over 18 times more per game. 2016 it was 27 more, 2015 it was 21 1/2 more... and I know I don't even need to look at the Nick Marshall years...

Oh, and when he was airing it out at Tulsa at 30 attempts per game, he was still running the ball 48 times a game. 

Did you read the part where Dillingham (the guy who was asked if two backs could go for more than a thousand) said he expected us to be 50/50? Because that's what I was responding to. I'm well aware of how run-oriented Gus's offenses have been in the past.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Did you read the part where Dillingham (the guy who was asked if two backs could go for more than a thousand) said he expected us to be 50/50? Because that's what I was responding to. I'm well aware of how run-oriented Gus's offenses have been in the past.

Nope! Apologies. 

Dilly's silly. That's a really strange quote from him. 

With an improved O-Line I don't see why we shouldn't have an effective run game this year. Despite my midseason disgust, I thought they showed improvement down the stretch. After all, we practically ran it down Bama's throat that first quarter...

But I don't for one second believe that our problem had been at running back. If anything we'll have a problem of too many studs and not enough reps. 

It would be glorious to have a true RB rotation and have 2 RBs get over 1000 yards.  I think Dilly is getting a little ahead of himself saying he would like to have the pass-run ratio at 50/50.  I don’t think he will have much of a say if Gus calls the plays.  I do like his enthusiasm, though.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It would be glorious to have a true RB rotation and have 2 RBs get over 1000 yards.  I think Dilly is getting a little ahead of himself saying he would like to have the pass-run ratio at 50/50.  I don’t think he will have much of a say if Gus calls the plays.  I do like his enthusiasm, though.

Maybe we could have a 1000yd rusher and receiver. Hmmmm 

I dont think we need to concentrate on 1000 yard rusher but what the defense gives you.  For the first 4 or 5 games defenses are going to be geared to stop the run to see if auburn's QB can beat them.  

I am wondering with the inexperience of dillingham can he really implement a passing game that will force defenses to respect the passing game.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Now that I think about it, maybe that was a recruiting pitch or otherwise calculated somehow.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Maybe we could have a 1000yd rusher and receiver. Hmmmm 

The way  the game has evolved I would be much more elated if we had multiple 1000 yard receivers.

We have not had this many capable RBs in the corral in a while maybe since Petway and KJ.  It would be nice to have 2 or 3 backs that could each rush for 800 or more yards.  If Joey gets the nod, I see a QB similar to Nick Fitzgerald at MSU the past few seasons of which was a very good thing. We could and should be in the top 5 rushing offenses in the SEC if all bodes well for us.

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Really depends on the game honestly. Check out our games against UGA 1.0 and Alabama in 2017. We attempted more passes in the first half than rushed against UGA and we had a 50/50 split before half against Alabama. Both games we closed out the games running the ball to kill the clock.

If you watch/read any of Gus's old stuff on his Tulsa offense on youtube, he specifically stated he likes to throw to open up the running game. Stark difference from what we've seen here.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for this. Seriously.

(Hopefully if Bo starts or is forced into action, his skill set would be enough to similarly force the defense to be more honest. Your point stands.)

Bo and Joey have such different skill sets, and I think both of them have tremendous potential.   I would like to see a situation where we utilize both of them to some degree.  Probably not a “true 2 QB system”.  But a system where we have a starter and a guy that comes in and provides a spark with his different skill set.    (The best example that comes to mind is Chris Leake and Tim Tebow the year UF won the natty)

As far as the RBs go, I think the same thing.  We’ve got some talented guys with different skill sets.   I would like to see them all utilized.   They mentioned Whitlow, Worm, and KMart in the article.  And I would like to add DJ Williams into that conversation as well.  Those are four guys who have a lot of potential!!!  

We have no lack of talent or depth at the skill positions this year.  That much is true!

26 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Bo and Joey have such different skill sets, and I think both of them have tremendous potential.   I would like to see a situation where we utilize both of them to some degree.  Probably not a “true 2 QB system”.  But a system where we have a starter and a guy that comes in and provides a spark with his different skill set.    (The best example that comes to mind is Chris Leake and Tim Tebow the year UF won the natty)

As far as the RBs go, I think the same thing.  We’ve got some talented guys with different skill sets.   I would like to see them all utilized.   They mentioned Whitlow, Worm, and KMart in the article.  And I would like to add DJ Williams into that conversation as well.  Those are four guys who have a lot of potential!!!  

We have no lack of talent or depth at the skill positions this year.  That much is true!

Don’t sleep on Mark-Anthony! He has similar skills set to KJ. He’ll be here in the summer though so he’ll be behind the others in that regard and may be a redshirt candidate.

5 hours ago, alexava said:

Don’t know about 1000 total yards but I think Worm will lead the conference in yards per carry. 

To say Worm is a “home run threat” is an understatement.    That dude can get behind a defense in a hurry.  He may be the fastest RB in the country.  

21 hours ago, toddc said:

Don’t sleep on Mark-Anthony! He has similar skills set to KJ. He’ll be here in the summer though so he’ll be behind the others in that regard and may be a redshirt candidate.

I almost lost track of him.  We very well could have the best stable of RBs in the entire SEC  We all know that Gus wants to run first in his offense. However, I think we will see enough passing to make the running game deadly if done right. Gus is betting on Gus to have a potent offense across the board of the entire 2019 season.  Gus will have most of the players on offense needed to make his system work.  It is all on Gus' shoulders and no one else. 

27 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I almost lost track of him.  We very well could have the best stable of RBs in the entire SEC  We all know that Gus wants to run first in his offense. However, I think we will see enough passing to make the running game deadly if done right. Gus is betting on Gus to have a potent offense across the board of the entire 2019 season.  Gus will have most of the players on offense needed to make his system work.  It is all on Gus' shoulders and no one else. 

MAR is a big part of the HUNH offense in that he’s a great runner, but also a threat in the passing game.

Sam lost me here, "For Auburn, the competition this season will come down to Whitlow, Shaun Shivers and Kam Martin."

Nothing against Kam, but if DJ learns the blocking schemes and stays healthy, I foresee him being ahead of Kam and becoming interchangeable with Whitlow before the season ends. Shaun will, of course, be used in a different role. 

Man just wait until all this young talent are junior and seniors...Scary stuff for defenses

19 minutes ago, AUHighPlainsDrifter said:

Sam lost me here, "For Auburn, the competition this season will come down to Whitlow, Shaun Shivers and Kam Martin."

Nothing against Kam, but if DJ learns the blocking schemes and stays healthy, I foresee him being ahead of Kam and becoming interchangeable with Whitlow before the season ends. Shaun will, of course, be used in a different role. 

1. Kam is a senior. DJ hasn't played a single snap of college ball. Ultimately DJ will be the better fit for Gus's system, no question about that. But experience does matter. 

2. What role will Worm play other than running back? Why? 

Archived