US Measles outbreak the largest since disease was declared eliminated 19 years ago

TitanTiger

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/health/measles-outbreak-record-us-bn/index.html

Quit believing pseudoscience and vaccinate your damn kids.  They are safe.  They don't cause autism.  The side effects are exceedingly rare and the consequences of these diseases reemerging are far worse.  The decision not to vaccinate doesn't just affect your kids, it affects all kinds of other people as the herd immunity in an area goes down - people who for various reasons are unable to get the vaccine.

Get out of the Facebook scare groups.  Quit listening to quacks like Dr. Mercola or Dr. Oz or whatever nutjob is telling you this is ok.  Get your kids vaccinated.

I'll be re-upping my measles vaccination this week as I fall into that group that got the single dose back in the early 70s that isn't as effective.  I encourage others in their late 40s and 50s to do the same.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/health/measles-outbreak-record-us-bn/index.html

Quit believing pseudoscience and vaccinate your damn kids.  They are safe.  They don't cause autism.  The side effects are exceedingly rare and the consequences of these diseases reemerging are far worse.  The decision not to vaccinate doesn't just affect your kids, it affects all kinds of other people as the herd immunity in an area goes down - people who for various reasons are unable to get the vaccine.

Get out of the Facebook scare groups.  Quit listening to quacks like Dr. Mercola or Dr. Oz or whatever nutjob is telling you this is ok.  Get your kids vaccinated.

I'll be re-upping my measles vaccination this week as I fall into that group that got the single dose back in the early 70s that isn't as effective.  I encourage others in their late 40s and 50s to do the same.

Do we automatically vaccinate kids who come over the border from Latin America?   No telling what childhood diseases they are bringing with them since it's unlikely they have had very good medical treatment.      I'm guessing they get a cursory medical exam if they are caught at the border and ones who just sneak in likely get nothing until they are sick. 

All the more reason for parents to stay on top of the vaccination schedules for their kids in this country.  

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Do we automatically vaccinate kids who come over the border from Latin America?   No telling what childhood diseases they are bringing with them since it's unlikely they have had very good medical treatment.      I'm guessing they get a cursory medical exam if they are caught at the border and ones who just sneak in likely get nothing until they are sick. 

All the more reason for parents to stay on top of the vaccination schedules for their kids in this country.  

If we vaccinate our children, it won't matter who is coming over.

FWIW, Mexico has a very good immunization program.  Not sure about other Central American countries.  But that's neither here or there if we get us and our kids vaccinated.

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If we vaccinate our children, it won't matter who is coming over.

FWIW, Mexico has a very good immunization program.  Not sure about other Central American countries.  But that's neither here or there if we get us and our kids vaccinated.

most illegal immigrants are not from Mexico....and vaccinations are likely not 100% deterrent anyway....but YES.....parents need to get them for infants and keep up to date.....but considering how a lot of kids are raised in this country by irresponsible parents,  it's an issue and a problem. 

On 4/24/2019 at 5:03 PM, AU64 said:

most illegal immigrants are not from Mexico....and vaccinations are likely not 100% deterrent anyway....but YES.....parents need to get them for infants and keep up to date.....but considering how a lot of kids are raised in this country by irresponsible parents,  it's an issue and a problem. 

Pretty much every Latin American country has vax rates comparable to our own. In a lot of outbreaks, the cause is often an unvaxxed tourist or missionary. 

I hope Attkisson catches super shingles or something. She's dangerously stupid, promoting anti-vax propaganda during an outbreak. 

Does not make sense but lots of people jump on a rare side effect or reaction to some medical treatment to lobby against it...or sue the companies that provide the product.   But for proponents to ignore the side effects is dishonest too.  

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Does not make sense but lots of people jump on a rare side effect or reaction to some medical treatment to lobby against it...or sue the companies that provide the product.   But for proponents to ignore the side effects is dishonest too.  

The side effects are well documented and easily divined from available research. Don’t fall for the grift. Measles is extremely dangerous, and we were oh so close to eradication before the idiot anti-vaxxers came along. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

The side effects are well documented and easily divined from available research. Don’t fall for the grift. Measles is extremely dangerous, and we were oh so close to eradication before the idiot anti-vaxxers came along. 

That's your view....not everyone agrees....if you get your kids vaccinated, what's your issue?    Had measles as a kid as did about everyone my age...not much fun. . 

Just now, AU64 said:

That's your view....not everyone agrees....

My view is backed by facts, both as a medical professional with an understanding of epidemiology and, you know, not being a complete moron. 

Just now, AU64 said:

if you get your kids vaccinated, what's your issue?

Because herd immunity is a very real phenomenon and certain members of the population can’t be vaccinated. “**** y’all I gots mine” is a very bad position to take here. Not maintaining herd immunity is the reason the stupid outbreaks of a disease we had all but eradicated in this country are a thing. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Had measles as a kid as did about everyone my age...not much fun. . 

Had Chicken Pox. Vaccine became a thing soon after I contracted it.

There’s a better way now. 

Against my better judgement, I’ve engaged her. 

Side effects are what the vaccine could cause. I see people using the term ‘ side effects ‘ for the disease. Shouldn’t that be considered ‘symptoms ‘ instead? 

@AUDub should 40+ year olds get boosted. Or whatever you call it. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Side effects are what the vaccine could cause. I see people using the term ‘ side effects ‘ for the disease. Shouldn’t that be considered ‘symptoms ‘ instead?

A distinction without a difference, really. If you’re playing the odds, the vaccine is better.

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

@AUDub should 40+ year olds get boosted. Or whatever you call it. 

Depends on when you were vaccinated. Ask your GP. They’ll know better than I would. 

11 hours ago, AUDub said:

she replied, click that tweet for my replies. 

Holy crap with the nut jabbing with the "vaccines aren't 100% safe" canard.  You know what else isn't 100% safe?  Walking outside.  Getting in a car.  Taking an airplane flight.  Swimming.  Tylenol.  

Just. Shut. Up.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Holy crap with the nut jabbing with the "vaccines aren't 100% safe" canard.  You know what else isn't 100% safe?  Walking outside.  Getting in a car.  Taking an airplane flight.  Swimming.  Tylenol.  

Just. Shut. Up.

These people are pretty dumb. I’m pretty surprised I didn’t get outright swarmed by her followers. 

There are certain people you’ll never convince, no matter how solid your argument. Attkisson is one of those. See, for example, where she quote tweeted me to present me as a troll. Contrary evidence isn’t worth her consideration, and simply results in derision and dismissal. 

So on a slight tangent, can we discuss Gardasil?  For those who don't know, it's a relatively new vaccine (compared to ones like measles, mumps, etc) to protect against HPV (Human papillomavirus) which can cause genital warts and more seriously, multiple kinds of cancers - of the vulva, vagina, penis and anus.

There's so much debate over it it's hard to discern fact from fiction, hysteria from genuine concern.  How common are the diseases that it's preventing?  How do the rates of complications from the vaccine compare with other vaccines with longer track records (such as those that have been given to infants for 40-50 years now)?

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

So on a slight tangent, can we discuss Gardasil?  For those who don't know, it's a relatively new vaccine (compared to ones like measles, mumps, etc) to protect against HPV (Human papillomavirus) which can cause genital warts and more seriously, multiple kinds of cancers - of the vulva, vagina, penis and anus. 

There's so much debate over it it's hard to discern fact from fiction, hysteria from genuine concern.  How common are the diseases that it's preventing?

About 70% of cervical cancer cases worldwide result from the strains of HPV Gardasil immunizes for. 80% of HPV associated cancers in the US - mostly oropharyngeal - also result from these strains. In the US, 40,000ish cases of HPV associated cancer are reported annually. Cervical cancer is diagnosed 10-15,000 times annually in the US, with 4-4,500 deaths.

Then, of course, the warts.

So fairly common.

How do the rates of complications from the vaccine compare with other vaccines with longer track records (such as those that have been given to infants for 40-50 years now)? 

In the short term, the rate of complications resulting from the injection are right in line with a placebo, with your typical side effects.

Understandably, as it's a nascent vaccine, longer term studies are hard to come by as of now, sort of like the Varicella vaccine in this country, for instance, where long term studies are now coming about more frequently. Longest documented is 18 months.

All of my kids will receive the vaccine. Ava already has.

I think a lot of opposition to Gardasil stems from the fact that HPV is transmitted sexually, and a lot of folks aren’t very comfortable with the idea of giving their children a prophylactic treatment for an STI.

It helps to view it through the lens of a cancer prevention measure.

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I think a lot of opposition to Gardasil stems from the fact that HPV is transmitted sexually, and a lot of folks aren’t very comfortable with the idea of giving their children a prophylactic treatment for an STI.

It helps to view it through the lens of a cancer prevention measure.

I think that is an element of it.  It's that it is for a sexually transmitted disease and that if people don't get sexually active until marriage and their partner does the same, then getting HPV is basically non existent.  And if that's the case, then why give you child medicine they don't need?

But the thing I'm concerned about is, even if my kid waited for marriage to have sex, what if their future spouse didn't?  Even if they became a Christian in late high school or college, they may have been sexually active before that time and contracted HPV and will not transmit it to my child.

So I'm thinking I need to get my girls vaccinated.  I'm just wary of new stuff.

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

These people are pretty dumb. I’m pretty surprised I didn’t get outright swarmed by her followers. 

There are certain people you’ll never convince, no matter how solid your argument. Attkisson is one of those. See, for example, where she quote tweeted me to present me as a troll. Contrary evidence isn’t worth her consideration, and simply results in derision and dismissal. 

This reminds me of AGW arguments. 

Rational thinking somewhat of a myth. People largely filter their reasoning through their emotions. This has pretty much established in economics.

In this case, it's irrational fear.

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

There's so much debate over it it's hard to discern fact from fiction, hysteria from genuine concern.  How common are the diseases that it's preventing?  How do the rates of complications from the vaccine compare with other vaccines with longer track records (such as those that have been given to infants for 40-50 years now)?

You left out one important factor: how serious are the consequences of the cancer to the person who contracts it?

10 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What about flu shots 😎

Whole family gets it every year.

Mind you, I always react badly to it too. Can count on a short fever and scratchy throat every time I receive it. 

Archived