US Measles outbreak the largest since disease was declared eliminated 19 years ago

TitanTiger

10 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What about flu shots 😎

We get them every year.  We started because several years back when the bird flu was so bad and it was really attacking people with respiratory issues, and we had a daughter who struggled with asthma.  So we got her and the whole family vaccinated.  We've stuck with it ever since.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

We get them every year.  We started because several years back when the bird flu was so bad and it was really attacking people with respiratory issues, and we had a daughter who struggled with asthma.  So we got her and the whole family vaccinated.  We've stuck with it ever since.

We do too.  I started after I caught the flu about 20 something years ago.

Actually, I came down with the flu for the second time earlier this year.  But it was nothing like the first time. Much milder.   In fact, I thought it was just a case of bronchitis until I went to my doctor where they tested for flu using a nasal swab. (I didn't know such a test had been invented.)

So while flu shots aren't always completely effective, they will lessen the severity if you do catch it. 

And having had a "full blown" case, I swore never again, and religiously get my flu vaccination every year.  I also got my pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. 

Cecilia brought home flu last season. Luckily mild, and it didn’t spread. 

Flu shots are a guess at best. Some years it works some it doesn’t.. They are produced months ahead of flu season by the time the flu spreads the strain has changed and it too late to adjust vaccines. They are not dangerous but they are not as protective as people think. I get the shots because it’s convenient. I wouldn’t go to any trouble for it. I got sick from it one year but it wasn’t too bad. Just a fever and loss of appetite for a few days. Lost about 10 pounds 👍.  I wouldn’t vaccinate kids under 5. 

My employer supplied shots are hit and miss at best. I would hazard to guess they may really lessen the effects during the season. But we have so many that still come down with it, although like I said, in likely much milder forms. I know they decide and predict what strains to go after as well. So we maybe getting the wrong guesstimate at times. 

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Whole family gets it every year.

Mind you, I always react badly to it too. Can count on a short fever and scratchy throat every time I receive it. 

This will be a dumb question, so I apologize in advance: How long have flu shots been around? Any evidence of long-term ramifications?

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Has "flu season" always been a thing? I started getting my annual shot around 4-5 years ago. 

14 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Has "flu season" always been a thing? I started getting my annual shot around 4-5 years ago. 

There seem to be many strains of most infection diseases and the vax people and CDC make a projection about which one/ones might be active and make up the vacc. to address it.    Some years they guess wrong and despite the vax people get the disease anyway.....goes for shingles too I'm told.   My most recent vax was pneumonia.  Not sure how long that's been around but recommended for older folks. 

On 4/27/2019 at 12:12 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

This will be a dumb question, so I apologize in advance: How long have flu shots been around? Any evidence of long-term ramifications?

“The vaccines are generally safe.[2] Fever occurs in five to ten percent of children vaccinated.[2] Temporary muscle pains or feelings of tiredness may occur as well.[2] In certain years, the vaccine has been linked to an increase in Guillain–Barré syndrome among older people at a rate of about one case per million doses.[2] It should not be given to those with severe allergies to previous versions of the vaccine.[2]

“Vaccination against influenza began in the 1930s with large scale availability in the United States beginning in 1945.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It’s been a thing for a long time. At least 20 years?

Yes.  They were available when I had my severe case over 20 years ago.  Francis and Salk - the doctors who developed the polio vaccine developed it. It first became available in the 1940s.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/19/flu-shot-history/

I just didn't bother with it when I was younger.  I was cavalier about it.  I learned my lesson though.

Mayor Pete done gaffed. 

31 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Mayor Pete done gaffed. 

Yeah, that's dumb.

The only concession I would make to people is allowing them to space them out a bit rather than getting several all at once.  I know it's not ideal or necessary, but if it will make someone on the fence or leaning toward not vaccinating get their kids vaccinated, then I'd do it.  

I realize it's just a dog, but we had a beagle we had to do this with every year.  He'd have an autoimmune reaction after yearly vaccinations that would cause his joints to swell and he'd get a fever and be lethargic.  The vet suggested spacing them out 2-3 weeks apart and it solved the problem.  Perhaps some nervous parents would be more apt to do it if they were given a similar option.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, AUDub said:

Whole family gets it every year.

Mind you, I always react badly to it too. Can count on a short fever and scratchy throat every time I receive it. 

I swear I react to it differently every time. 

One case confirmed in Alabama:

http://www.wbrc.com/2019/05/02/alabama-health-officials-hold-news-conference-about-measles/

An infant who can't get the MMR vaccine yet.  And all because dipshit, patchouli-smelling, ghost story believers want to take us back to the 1930s.

• 8 months later...

On the subject of the HPV vaccine, it seems to be working quite well. 

On 4/27/2019 at 10:31 AM, homersapien said:

We do too.  I started after I caught the flu about 20 something years ago.

Actually, I came down with the flu for the second time earlier this year.  But it was nothing like the first time. Much milder.   In fact, I thought it was just a case of bronchitis until I went to my doctor where they tested for flu using a nasal swab. (I didn't know such a test had been invented.)

So while flu shots aren't always completely effective, they will lessen the severity if you do catch it. 

And having had a "full blown" case, I swore never again, and religiously get my flu vaccination every year.  I also got my pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. 

From what I have been told there are multiple strains of the the Flu the Flu vaccine does not cover every strain that is why some people get the flu even after taking the vaccines. Please correct me if what I was told is incorrect.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what I have been told there are multiple strains of the the Flu the Flu vaccine does not cover every strain that is why some people get the flu even after taking the vaccines. Please correct me if what I was told is incorrect.

I have a friend who is an emergency room RN. She got three different flu shots a couple years ago and was still hospitalized twice in a 4 month span with the flu. 
I don’t usually get the shot and don’t think I’ve ever had the actual flu. Once  I got the shot and got sick and lost 12 pounds in a weekend. Had a couple since that didn’t have side effects.  I’m just not sold on it. 

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are correct, as AU64 said:

On 4/27/2019 at 1:33 PM, AU64 said:

There seem to be many strains of most infection diseases and the vax people and CDC make a projection about which one/ones might be active and make up the vacc. to address it.    Some years they guess wrong and despite the vax people get the disease anyway.....goes for shingles too I'm told.   My most recent vax was pneumonia.  Not sure how long that's been around but recommended for older folks. 

However, even if you don't acquire the particular strain they designed for, there are immunity benefits which attenuate the effects of whatever version you do acquire.

23 hours ago, alexava said:

I have a friend who is an emergency room RN. She got three different flu shots a couple years ago and was still hospitalized twice in a 4 month span with the flu. 
I don’t usually get the shot and don’t think I’ve ever had the actual flu. Once  I got the shot and got sick and lost 12 pounds in a weekend. Had a couple since that didn’t have side effects.  I’m just not sold on it. 

I caught full blown flu one time. Never again. I'll take any opportunity to avoid or at least mitigate. 

The flu vaccine is utterly pointless for anyone who isn't in serious risk. Just LOL @ being a healthy adult and voluntarily introducing a foreign substance into your body that isn't likely to prevent you from getting the flu in the first place. This isn't a "50/50" situation or even anywhere near it: the likelihood of the strain of flu that spreads being the exact one that you were vaccinated for is hilariously low. Any slight mutation in the virus makes the vaccine irrelevant. 

If you get the flu every year, then you need to do some serious insight into your immune system and make more significant life changes than getting vaccinated. A weak immune system is indicative of more serious problems.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

The flu vaccine is utterly pointless for anyone who isn't in serious risk. Just LOL @ being a healthy adult and voluntarily introducing a foreign substance into your body that isn't likely to prevent you from getting the flu in the first place. This isn't a "50/50" situation or even anywhere near it: the likelihood of the strain of flu that spreads being the exact one that you were vaccinated for is hilariously low. Any slight mutation in the virus makes the vaccine irrelevant. 

If you get the flu every year, then you need to do some serious insight into your immune system and make more significant life changes than getting vaccinated. A weak immune system is indicative of more serious problems.

Thank you Doctor Phil.

16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Thank you Doctor Phil.

You are welcome. 

I never get the vaccine, and I never get sick. Its called having a healthy immune system. If you are at risk of dying from the flu, then by all means go and get vaccinated. A healthy adult who doesn't get sick is already doing something far more beneficial to health than getting the flu shot. If you get sick every year, then you need to consider why your immune system sucks - and fix that first and foremost. 

You know what else I don't do? I don't wash my hands 50 times a day like an idiot, either. According to your shilled "experts", I'm sure that I'm at risk of keeling over and dying any day now LMAO. A healthy immune system needs to be exercised like anything else in order to remain healthy.

Archived