Michael Cone transfering from Western kentucky

roe4christ

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*I don't know but Rodney Garner does. In fact, we've been adequate-to-great recruiting almost every other position.

*Pay me seven figures and I bet I'd figure it out in less than six years.

Judging by the number of "former" SEC coaches in recent years it must be harder than it looks..or they would still have their jobs :dunno:

11 hours ago, Sizzle said:

No, the recruiting could obviously be better but what are you exactly supposed to do about that? You can't force anybody to come to your school. 

Well not with that attitude.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

And we continue to sign an avg of  1-2 OL per class the last 4 years.

Actually, we've signed 12 OL the last four years for an average of three per year.  (2,5,2,3) plus 5 in 2015. (Source, AUF Recruiting forum, archived classes plus 2019 recruiting thread.) I suppose some exaggeration to prove a point is deemed acceptable on the internet, but one should attempt to at least stay close to reality.

Is three per year enough? Probably not, depending on their future success but that's a different discussion.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Actually, we've signed 12 OL the last four years for an average of three per year.  (2,5,2,3) plus 5 in 2015. (Source, AUF Recruiting forum, archived classes plus 2019 recruiting thread.) I suppose some exaggeration to prove a point is deemed acceptable on the internet, but one should attempt to at least stay close to reality.

Is three per year enough? Probably not, depending on their future success but that's a different discussion.

Oh wow! A whole 12? That's incredible...I take it all back, we do have depth!

Then again...How many transferred out or quit and we're replaced? How many OTs were signed? How many grad transfers were needed to become immediate starters? How many are now seniors and have barely smelled PT?

You know what...don't answer. The board understands even if you don't. 

• Like 3

One of the biggest problems of recruiting low numbers for a particular position, is it doesn’t breed competition. If it’s just me and 1-2 other guys, I feel pretty comfortable working into the rotation. If it’s me and 4-5 others guys, I’m probably not so comfortable. We need to recruit more and better O-lineman if we want to quit finishing 5th in the SEC West. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I mean he wasn't signed as an OL either. You want us to use one of our skill players, tell him to gain 100 pounds and get on the OL?

Maybe that's the way McClain can finally get some playing time!:big:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

*I don't know but Rodney Garner does. In fact, we've been adequate-to-great recruiting almost every other position.

*Pay me seven figures and I bet I'd figure it out in less than six years.

Rodney Garner is elite. He has a track record. And would you figure it out? There's tons of coaches who get fired every year who didn't figure it out. If you can then you should  be coaching/recruiting instead of being on a message board

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Judging by the number of "former" SEC coaches in recent years it must be harder than it looks..or they would still have their jobs :dunno:

And most of them probably recruited OL better than we have the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Rodney Garner is elite. He has a track record. And would you figure it out? There's tons of coaches who get fired every year who didn't figure it out. If you can then you should  be coaching/recruiting instead of being on a message board

No, there aren't tons of coaches at P5 powerhouse programs that recruit OL as poorly as we have the last 5 years. 

Again, 7 figures and 6 years. Yes, I would figure out how to get OLs to sign with Auburn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Then again...How many transferred out or quit and we're replaced?

That's an entirely different discussion. Your claim that we signed an average of one or two per year over the last four years is all that I was commenting on.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

I'm missing the point of this thread. 

What does the OP have to do with Auburn?

He’s transferring to Auburn as a walk on. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No, there aren't tons of coaches at P5 powerhouse programs that recruit OL as poorly as we have the last 5 years. 

Again, 7 figures and 6 years. Yes, I would figure out how to get OLs to sign with Auburn.

well how do we get you on the Auburn staff so you can get to work?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That's an entirely different discussion. Your claim that we signed an average of one or two per year over the last four years is all that I was commenting on.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

well how do we get you on the Auburn staff so you can get to work?

For the third and final time, offer me the same money Gus is making and give me six years.

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For the third and final time, offer me the same money Gus is making and give me six years.

sure...take the big money, screw around for a few years and then get  fired and walk away with a lifetime of security....we know your game....😀   

as for those fired coaches....just thinking that if they recruited as well as or better than AU, they would probably still have their jobs....or perhaps they recruited better but could not coach the guys they had? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

sure...take the big money, screw around for a few years and then get  fired and walk away with a lifetime of security....we know your game....😀   

as for those fired coaches....just thinking that if they recruited as well as or better than AU, they would probably still have their jobs....or perhaps they recruited better but could not coach the guys they had? 

Gus has recruited very, very well overall. Which makes the situation at OL that much more confounding.

Maybe those fired coaches should have worked for Steven Leath! :)

My tech savvy daughter dug up this kids Twitter, instagram and whatever other social media. Did you notice that he’s only 19? He must have graduated early or got moved up. He’s 15 and 16 in his HS films. His new videos have him a lot more agile and he seems to be faster.  Strong too. He was out lifting upper classmen at WKU. Grimes must see something in him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, wardamneagle1965 said:

My tech savvy daughter dug up this kids Twitter, instagram and whatever other social media. Did you notice that he’s only 19? He must have graduated early or got moved up. He’s 15 and 16 in his HS films. His new videos have him a lot more agile and he seems to be faster.  Strong too. He was out lifting upper classmen at WKU. Grimes must see something in him. 

YO. Post more. 

I don't know anything about you but this is some thoughtful and analytical stuff right here.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

YO. Post more. 

I don't know anything about you but this is some thoughtful and analytical stuff right here.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

Thank you. I wish I could take credit for the digging part. My daughter watched his HS film from the OP, over my shoulder and pointed out his twitter name and his birth date. a few taps on her ipad found several speed school videos and some stuff with him in the WKU weight room. I just thought it would be of interest that he was 15/16 in the HUDL film and that he graduated HS before he turned 17. I know physical maturity is a wide avenue for O-lineman. I couldn't imagine being a 17 year old lining up against 22/23 year old men. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Ran into Michael's dad at the gym in Hiram GA this morning. Seemed like a nice dude who is really proud of his kid. Said that after 3 knee surgeries,  Michael wasn't varsity anymore, but that football was paying for his Master's Degree. Said Michael wants to coach, so they let him do GA type stuff.

• Like 3