dabo sweeney's new contract

aubiefifty

bleacherreport.com

Dabo Swinney, Clemson Agree to Historic 10-Year, $93M Contract Through 2028

Tyler Conway

SANTA CLARA, CA - JANUARY 07: Head Coach Dabo Swinney of the Clemson Tigers celebrates on the field following the game against the Alabama Crimson Tide in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T at Levi's Stadium on January 7, 2019 in Santa Clara, California (Photo by Michael Zagaris/Getty Images)

Michael Zagaris/Getty Images

Dabo Swinney is not leaving Clemson anytime soon.

The university and its head football coach agreed to a 10-year, $93 million contract Friday, per Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports. The deal makes him the highest-paid college football coach in terms of total value and carries a $4 million buyout, per Anna Hickey of 247Sports and Brett McMurphy of Stadium. 

Swinney, 49, has been at the South Carolina program since taking over for Tommy Bowden midway through the 2008 season. The Alabama native has led the Tigers to a 116-30 record and won two of the last three national championships. Clemson has reached the College Football Playoff in each of its first four years and made three title games.

While he's unquestionably one of the nation's premier coaches, his massive salary will undoubtedly draw criticism given Swinney's stance against paying college football players. 

Swinney told the Post and Courier (via College Football Talk) in 2014:

"We've got enough entitlement in this country as it is. To say these guys get nothing totally devalues an education. It just blows my mind people don't even want to quantify an education.

"I didn't get into coaching to make money—coaches weren't making any money when I got into coaching. It's what I wanted to do with my life, and I was able to do it because of my education. That's what changed my life. That's what changes everybody's life."

That position juxtaposed with a salary that's nearly eight figures (and no doubt is topped with endorsements) will likely be a tough pill to swallow for many.

From a performance perspective, there may be no better coach in America at the moment.

Swinney's bested Nick Saban in two of their three national championship battles while still not quite being able to unseat Alabama's stranglehold atop the recruiting rankings. It's fair to say Swinney has done a better job at developing his talent in recent years than Saban, who is the unquestioned top dog in college football to many.

Clemson will enter the 2019 season as a national championship favorite again, led by potential Heisman winner Trevor Lawrence. Given how he's built the program over his first decade at the helm, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Swinney stick around and create a legendary legacy at Clemson. 

I think Dabo is still underrated. It is not like Urbs or Saban who are/were dominant at historic blue blood programs. Dabo is dominant at a historically mediocre program (our little brother) and has turned them in to THE IT program in all of college football right now. They get all the high profile QB and WR recruits when they covet them and make them a priority. They recruit nationally as good as anyone right now. They are perfect for modern football and how the game is played and won now. They have elite QB and WR production. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nope. Being guaranteed $13 million a year for 10 years is.

Where is that number coming from?

7 hours ago, The Freak said:

Where is that number coming from?

Oh jeebus. I spent all day yesterday thinking that 93 / 10 = 13. HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY PANTS

Thank you for going easy on me there.

7 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Anyone think having a Clemson BB coach on tape talking about needing to cheat like the football team does will have any effect?

Sure it will if anything can be proven by the NCAA.  

21 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Wild. We’re heading to a point though where players will start getting paid. Wonder how that’s gonna start affecting coaches’ contracts 

Players do get paid...it's called the NFL and professional football.  Players get compensated with an opportunity for a lifetime benefit...called a college education. 

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Players do get paid...it's called the NFL and professional football.  Players get compensated with an opportunity for a lifetime benefit...called a college education. 

If the NCAA ever decides that the student athletes can be paid recruiting will still be a mess. Each athlete would need to be paid regardless of sport. Some sports don't even pay the light bill so they generate zero revenue. Still, those athletes would deserve the same as the next person. Whatever the decided amount would be, the cheating would still go on as that amount would simply be the opening bid. Paying the athletes is good for the athletes but I feel it would be bad for college sports but what do I know. I'm definitely old school and I loved the college game because it was purer than the pro game or at least I once thought so. Now high schools recruit so it's even being tainted. I'm not a "get off my lawn" guy yet but I feel it coming. 

50 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Would you be happy with minimum wage if your employer were getting paid millions for your work? 

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

If the NCAA ever decides that the student athletes can be paid recruiting will still be a mess. Each athlete would need to be paid regardless of sport. Some sports don't even pay the light bill so they generate zero revenue. Still, those athletes would deserve the same as the next person. Whatever the decided amount would be, the cheating would still go on as that amount would simply be the opening bid. Paying the athletes is good for the athletes but I feel it would be bad for college sports but what do I know. I'm definitely old school and I loved the college game because it was purer than the pro game or at least I once thought so. Now high schools recruit so it's even being tainted. I'm not a "get off my lawn" guy yet but I feel it coming. 

YEP - sports in general is big business and it starts early on in middle/high school.

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

At most schools including AU, tuition paying students are also subsidizing the college costs of the athletic programs.....taking out those big college loans so some guy or girl who spends most of his or her collegiate career on the bench is still getting a free college education.  And of course you can't just pick out a few stars to pay....gotta pay everyone I expect.    I can't see adding more to the cost for tuition paying students.... but I'm old school and an old fart as you suggested...and paid my way through school as a co-op student.    

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

At most schools including AU, tuition paying students are also subsidizing the college costs of the athletic programs.....taking out those big college loans so some guy or girl who spends most of his or her collegiate career on the bench is still getting a free college education.  And of course you can't just pick out a few stars to pay....gotta pay everyone I expect.    I can't see adding more to the cost for tuition paying students.... but I'm old school and an old fart as you suggested...and paid my way through school as a co-op student.    

Folks who agree with you love to use that word "free". No, it is not free. College athletes probably devote more time to their sport- not to mention the physical cost- than most students do to their classes or even their part-time jobs. Which student-athletes are not allowed to have. 

Also, are you sure it's not AD revenue paying for scholarships? 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Would you be happy with minimum wage if your employer were getting paid millions for your work? 

This happens all the time. You take a job based on a salary. If you don’t like the salary go to a different job. Your employer’s salary has no effect on your salary.  You get paid to do a job. 

These kids agreed to go to the school for an education and a chance at the next level. If that’s not good enough, stay out of college, wait your three years and try your luck at the NFL.

All that to say, you do what you have to do to get where you want to be. 

They should be dropping the prices of admission and fill the stands at every game.

Sorry for the rant. 

Good for Daboo. He’s changed the culture at Clemson and that’s why kids want to play for him. 

• WarTiger changed the title to dabo sweeney's new contract
20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Folks who agree with you love to use that word "free". No, it is not free. College athletes probably devote more time to their sport- not to mention the physical cost- than most students do to their classes or even their part-time jobs. Which student-athletes are not allowed to have. 

Also, are you sure it's not AD revenue paying for scholarships? 

Revenue source...you can look it up...even at AU but fewer than 20 athletic departments nationally make profit  and even they get student subsidy.  And do we pay walk ons who put in the same hours?

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Revenue source...you can look it up...even at AU but fewer than 20 athletic departments nationally make profit  and even they get student subsidy.  And do we pay walk ons who put in the same hours?

I did look it up and what I saw suggested that the AD pays for itself, including scholarships.

No, we shouldn't pay walk-ons. Why would we pay them? We don't give them scholarships. The inequity is already in place and that is their choice.

Archived