softball vs Florida

7 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I'm not gonna look it up, feel free to correct me, but I seem to recall Swindle was a good batter in high school?  Maybe he wanted to try something.  Lord knows it appears he needs to try something at the plate.

Yes, she was a very good hitter in high school, enough so that some of us were hoping she would get some at bats as a freshman.

How did she do? I missed the game. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

How did she do? I missed the game. 

She went 0 fer 2 and looked bad doing it. However, she was a good enough hitter in high school that she would probably have received some scholarship offers as a hitter had she not been a pitcher.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

She went 0 fer 2 and looked bad doing it. However, she was a good enough hitter in high school that she would probably have received some scholarship offers as a hitter had she not been a pitcher.

I guess Barnhill can do that to anyone.  We don't know how much she has practiced hitting but I pulled up her stats.  Clearly pitching is her stronger suit but ther offensive numbers are pretty stout. 

MaxPreps Medium Schools Player of the Year: Ashlee Swindle, Curry (Jasper, Ala.)

Swindle led the Yellowjackets (47-2) to the Class 4A state championship and compiled a 45-2 pitching record and 0.59 ERA along with a .557 batting average, 13 home runs and 86 RBIs.

The Auburn signee recorded 385 strikeouts in 262 innings and held opponents to a .132 batting average. She pitched all but 22 innings in Curry's 49 games. She also totaled more than 1,000 strikeouts in her career. 

She pitched 39 complete games and 23 shutouts; only three times did a team have six hits against Swindle in a single game.

She drove in at least one run in 33 games and had a base hit in 20 of her final 21 games. 

In winning the prestigious Gulf Shores II Classic in late March, Swindle earned all nine wins during the three-day tournament, including five wins on the final day. She allowed 19 hits and three earned runs with 58 strikeouts while throwing three shutouts in the tournament.

Swindle, who was named Alabama's Gatorade POY and USA Today's POY, was named Alabama's Miss Softball.

13 hours ago, 4WDE said:

In the case yesterday, the announcers were right in their assessment or provided info. He was keeping the option open to bring both back. Given Swindle doesn’t have an AB all year (and asking the first one to be against a high quality P) and need all qualified batters to take swings at Barnhill, that decision doesn’t quite add up. 

4WDE, do you have time to explain the rules as related to this situation.  I have tried to decipher the DP/Flex substitution rules but not able to make the association to this situation.  I know the announcers made reference to what you stated above,  but wish they had provided more detail.

6 hours ago, TD1 said:

Congrats to Char on being named SEC Co-Pitcher of the Week. 

I’m glad Char was recognized. She and Barnhill were both deserving. 

On 4/30/2019 at 6:30 AM, slot canyon said:

4WDE, do you have time to explain the rules as related to this situation.  I have tried to decipher the DP/Flex substitution rules but not able to make the association to this situation.  I know the announcers made reference to what you stated above,  but wish they had provided more detail.

I'll try to keep it simple to this scenario, because going into the "rule talk" may create confusion.  Note, ALL starters (any position, DP & Flex) are allowed 1 re-entry into the game.  CMD left Handley in the Flex spot, entered Swindle into the DP (for Maresette).  Then, he put the DP into defense (in this case P).  The Flex stays intact (and doesn't have to be on field), so Handley is still available.  Now, if he would have put Handley (Flex) into P, then Swindle goes back to DP (or off defense).  As long as Swindle stays in to hit (when the DP comes up in the batting order), she is eligible to go back on defense (or P).  That is how Swindle stays available to pitch again, even though not a starter.  This scenario never played out in the game.  Now, in the bottom of the 7th when Maresette made her 1 re-entry back in batting order in DP spot, Swindle was burned and could not have come back in.  I hope this makes some sense.  

Archived