Hammer down

James Howell

Wow Micheal Lombardi just put the hammer down on gus.  

That kind of talk from an nfl exec better bring out the best in gus or the wolves will really be hollering.

I'm not a staunch Gus defender, but Michael Lombardi is a stupid gas bag. Nothing more.

A few samples:

Michael Lombardi said of Doug Pederson "He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL. Everybody knows Pederson isn’t a head coach. He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen." Good call. Moron.

Lombardi actually posted this question: 

Prior to this postseason, when New England won a championship, Lombardi had this to say:  

Before the 2018 season, Lombardi had this to say about Mitch Trubisky:  "You couldn’t get me to buy Mitchell Trubisky if you had him on a discount rack at Filene’s Basement. There’s no chance. He can’t throw the ball in bounds half the time. It’s a joke. I was in Chicago this week and all I saw were Trubisky jerseys. And I’m thinking, ‘You people are crazy. You’re going to be selling them in three years.’ There’s no way. Look, he’s a good athlete. He runs around, he makes some plays with his feet, but when he has to make precise throws … Brett Favre said this one time, and I think it really applies. Bad quarterbacks can throw the ball through a door. Good quarterbacks can hit the door knob. The great ones throw it through the keyhole. Do you think Trubisky can throw the ball through a keyhole? There’s no chance, right. I just don’t see it.”

Trubisky finished third in the NFL in QBR this year, leading the Bears to the playoffs.

In 2012, Lombardi heaped praise on Jeff Fisher in L.A. (Link). Fisher finished 31-45 with the Rams. His best season was 7-9. Then, in 2017, he said Sean McVay was too young to be a head coach, and Jared Goff had "no feel for the game." 

It took one year for that to look like complete and utter nonsense.

I am not alone in my opinion on Lombardi:  Link

Again, I'm not a Gus defender, but to get any credibility, you're going to need someone better than that moron to carry the flag. He carried Belichick's headset. That's his major accomplishment. I'm not weighing in on what he said (a broken clock is right twice a day), but that guy is dumb.

More Lombardi goodness. In his only run as a GM, he was fired after overseeing only one draft. The 2013 draft. Here's a retrospective grade of that performance:  Link. I'll spoil the ending. Lombardi's effort grades an "F". 

The only person he could get to hire him after that was his friend, Belichick, who brought him on as an "assistant to the coaching staff," whatever that is. He's been in media since then. As the old saying goes, those that can't teach (sorry to any teachers, I don't actually believe that). I would add, those who can't teach move to media as talking heads.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, mcgufcm said:

The only person he could get to hire him after that was his friend, Belichick, who brought him on as an "assistant to the coaching staff," whatever that is.

giphy.gif

On 5/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, James Howell said:

Wow Micheal Lombardi just put the hammer down on gus.  

That kind of talk from an nfl exec better bring out the best in gus or the wolves will really be hollering.

The "wolves" are already "hollering", but it has nothing to do with the NFL.

Years of disgruntled fans and an attempted coup to oust him, but you think a second rate NFL analyst's opinion is what's going to finally bring the best out in Gus? Gus knows he has to win now or he's canned. Nothing else matters. 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, mcgufcm said:

I'm not a staunch Gus defender, but Michael Lombardi is a stupid gas bag. Nothing more.

A few samples:

Michael Lombardi said of Doug Pederson "He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL. Everybody knows Pederson isn’t a head coach. He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen." Good call. Moron.

Lombardi actually posted this question: 

Prior to this postseason, when New England won a championship, Lombardi had this to say:  

Before the 2018 season, Lombardi had this to say about Mitch Trubisky:  "You couldn’t get me to buy Mitchell Trubisky if you had him on a discount rack at Filene’s Basement. There’s no chance. He can’t throw the ball in bounds half the time. It’s a joke. I was in Chicago this week and all I saw were Trubisky jerseys. And I’m thinking, ‘You people are crazy. You’re going to be selling them in three years.’ There’s no way. Look, he’s a good athlete. He runs around, he makes some plays with his feet, but when he has to make precise throws … Brett Favre said this one time, and I think it really applies. Bad quarterbacks can throw the ball through a door. Good quarterbacks can hit the door knob. The great ones throw it through the keyhole. Do you think Trubisky can throw the ball through a keyhole? There’s no chance, right. I just don’t see it.”

Trubisky finished third in the NFL in QBR this year, leading the Bears to the playoffs.

In 2012, Lombardi heaped praise on Jeff Fisher in L.A. (Link). Fisher finished 31-45 with the Rams. His best season was 7-9. Then, in 2017, he said Sean McVay was too young to be a head coach, and Jared Goff had "no feel for the game." 

It took one year for that to look like complete and utter nonsense.

I am not alone in my opinion on Lombardi:  Link

Again, I'm not a Gus , but to get any credibility, you're going to need someone better than that moron to carry the flag. He carried Belichick's headset. That's his major accomplishment. I'm not weighing in on what he said (a broken clock is right twice a day), but that guy is dumb.

All recruits will hear is what Lombardi said because it'll be beaten into their heads by opposing staffs.  Gus is not an offensive genius, has shown poor program management, and he has yet to develop a QB.  Argue about the messenger all you like, the preponderance of his message was spot on. 

36 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Well well....

Screenshot_20190507-150528_Twitter.jpg

Ehh he isn’t wrong in his assessment about evaluating a QB but some of the other stuff is outlandish 

18 hours ago, AUwent said:

He completely nailed it IMO.

Yea, lombardi has a 30 year career in the nfl and these people cherry pick a few wrong things the guy said and then refer to him as dumb or an idiot is just plain foolish.  I really would like for those people to show one person that has a 30 year career that is 100% right.   

In addition, those people that called lombardi dumb and stupid for those few wrong assessments will probably have to call themselves dumb when they reach a 30 year career. (assuming they apply the same standards to their career as they do to lombardi).

Our opponents are not going to think an nfl executive with a 30 year career is stupid.  When they go out on recruiting trips they are probably going to let recruits know what lombardi said about Auburn.

23 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

All recruits will hear is what Lombardi said because it'll be beaten into their heads by opposing staffs.  Gus is not an offensive genius, has shown poor program management, and he has yet to develop a QB.  Argue about the messenger all you like, the preponderance of his message was spot on. 

But it doesn't matter! What does it matter?! Gus has to win 9-10 games this year or he's gone regardless of NFL pipeline. Recruiting doesn't matter. NFL success doesn't matter. We're at a breaking point. Nobody could care less about the opinions of NFL analysts!

23 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Gus has been the best recruiter in Auburn history despite having an all-time dynasty miles away and another one growing in the East. Recruiting and what recruits hear has never ever been the problem. Gus just has to win. 

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody could care less about the opinions of NFL analysts!

And yet you respond to my post on it twice.  Interesting.  Also, 'crootin points is not the same as good recruiting.  When you bring in 2-3 OL per year you are not recruiting well, no matter how many WRs you bring in for them 'crootin points.  We're not playing 7 on 7 football.  You either have a strong OL and put yourself in a position to win, or you don't.  Gus chose the latter.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus has been the best recruiter in Auburn history despite having an all-time dynasty miles away and another one growing in the East. Recruiting and what recruits hear has never ever been the problem. Gus just has to win. 

Okay he may be a good recruiter.  But look at the final product on the field.  He has also has to be a good Xs and Os coach.  The reason the final product is subpar is gus is not a good Xs and Os coach.  When I hear these analysts say it is not the Xs and Os, it is the Jimmy's and the Joe's don't know nuthin bout football.

11 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

And yet you respond to my post on it twice.  Interesting.  Also, 'crootin points is not the same as good recruiting.  When you bring in 2-3 OL per year you are not recruiting well, no matter how many WRs you bring in for them 'crootin points.  We're not playing 7 on 7 football.  You either have a strong OL and put yourself in a position to win, or you don't.  Gus chose the latter.

Y'all: Oh no, we can't recruit because of what an NFL scout says.

Also Y'all: Okay so he can recruit, but he can't win.

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Y'all: Oh no, we can't recruit because of what an NFL scout says.

Also Y'all: Okay so he can recruit, but he can't win.

So we have elite OL lined up and just waiting to come play for Gus?  Simple yes/no question for you instead of putting words in your mouth like you did here.

7 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So we have elite OL lined up and just waiting to come play for Gus?  Simple yes/no question for you instead of putting words in your mouth like you did here.

Does NFL pipeline perception, literally the ONLY relevance Lombardi's comments have, have anything to do with Gus' bad recruiting strategy? Of course not.

Of all positions, O-Line is one of Gus' best NFL feeders. Y'all aren't making any sense. We aren't losing recruits because of the NFL perception.

37 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Does NFL pipeline perception, literally the ONLY relevance Lombardi's comments have, have anything to do with Gus' bad recruiting strategy? Of course not.

Of all positions, O-Line is one of Gus' best NFL feeders. Y'all aren't making any sense. We aren't losing recruits because of the NFL perception.

Ok.

Archived