AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn women's tennis coach Lauren Spencer has resigned from her position leading the program after her worst season as the head coach of the program, athletics director Allen Greene announced in a press release late Friday.

“Auburn is grateful to Lauren for her eight years of dedicated service to the Auburn women’s tennis program, its student-athletes and the Auburn Family,” Greene said. “Auburn values her contributions to the program and wishes her the very best in her future endeavors.”

The women's tennis team was ranked nationally near the beginning of the most recent season, but went 14-15 overall with a 1-12 SEC record. 

Spencer was 143-92 in eight seasons as Auburn's head coach. The 143 wins is No. 1 in program history.

“I appreciate the opportunity to serve Auburn University as the head women’s tennis coach for eight years,” Spencer said in a news release. “I value the program, its student-athletes, and the opportunity to be part of the Auburn family. I look forward to carrying these experiences forward as I pursue future opportunities.”

Auburn says a national search for Spencer's replacement will begin immediately.