Stidham's problem was Auburn's offense

Randman5000

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

even though it was the defenses fault we lost the MSU game.

Said nobody ever, but I see you. 

Gatewood was injured in fall camp. It’s pretty obvious why we didn’t put him in for a while.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a BS article as we have had serious success under this offense when it is clicking. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is a BS article as we have had serious success under this offense when it is clicking. 

Yep. Gus’s offense won’t recruit well because recruits want to go to the NFL as top draft picks and that will never be Auburn, but Gus’s offense can beat the best teams when rolling.

11 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Says the man who owns a 130-189-1 record while either being the Director of Player Personnel or a GM/VP with Browns, Eagles and Raiders. He obviously has a great eye for talent. 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

If this is true (and I’m not saying it isn’t) why wouldn’t Gus get Joey ready last year with some real live playing time?  It was obvious Gus did not have any confidence in MW just by the way he dogged Malik when he came off the field.  When Stidham was ineffective against MSU and Tennessee, he was painful to watch, yet Gus would not replace Stidham.  Why?  Gus reports the Joey is something special in live action (as we saw in the Purdue game), so why not get a change of pace QB in the MSU game?  It could have worked wonders.

If Joey is as good as people say, it was a waste to red shirt him last year when the starting QB was nursing a shoulder problem.  Gus’ roster management and in game decisions are what I am most interest in seeing if he really has changed his approach.  He’s got all the talent he needs and if we sustain another KJ type injury like in last season’s Bama game there is no excuse to trot an injured player out there.

Now where is my blood pressure meds?

By those in the know Joey right now is not the same as the Joey from last year.  He apparently did a 180 turn in his work ethic, refined skills, etc.  So putting in Joey last year would have been a mistake. 

How dare this national pundit talk badly about an offense that since the 2013 season has produced 0(ZERO) 1st round draft choices? 

He is CLEARLY just out to get Auburn. He doesn't know ANYTHING about Auburn. He doesn't know how we do it, what we call success, and doesn't live by the Creed. 

How dare this unknowledgeable fool spout his lies?

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Says the man who owns a 130-189-1 record while either being the Director of Player Personnel or a GM/VP with Browns, Eagles and Raiders. He obviously has a great eye for talent. 

Record be damned. He was Director of Player Personnel as well as a GM/VP of an NFL team. That in itself holds more water than those who refuse to look at things independently rather than orange and blue goggles. 

Just sayin.

Elite recruits want to make it to the NFL. Period. Point Blank. 

Our offense is not designed for that. Like it or not guys. 

Until our offensive players stop having such a difficult time transitioning to the NFL, our offense will continue to warrant deserved criticism.

You guys are acting like he is picking on us. He is stating FACTS. Hard facts. The truth hurts sometimes. And this truth has clearly hurt some of your feelings. 

He is stating truths about our offensive scheme. This isn't a spread vs pro style thing. It's our version of the spread. Oklahoma QBs going #1 overall two straight seasons show this as fact. 

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Elite recruits want to make it to the NFL. Period. Point Blank. 

Our offense is not designed for that. Like it or not guys. 

Until our offensive players stop having such a difficult time transitioning to the NFL, our offense will continue to warrant deserved criticism.

You guys are acting like he is picking on us. He is stating FACTS. Hard facts. The truth hurts sometimes. And this truth has clearly hurt some of your feelings. 

He is stating truths about our offensive scheme. This isn't a spread vs pro style thing. It's our version of the spread. Oklahoma QBs going #1 overall two straight seasons show this as fact. 

Auburn gets elite recruits believe it or not . 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

And guys make it to the NFL too....believe it our not. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep. This stuff kills me..looking at our rankings since 2014 and compare it to Clemson. Does Clemson not recruit elite talent ? 

I use 247 btw.

19 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Record be damned. He was Director of Player Personnel as well as a GM/VP of an NFL team. That in itself holds more water than those who refuse to look at things independently rather than orange and blue goggles. 

Just sayin.

I'm just not impressed by someone who has contributed to the Browns being the worst team in the league in modern history when it seems he held a position that could make a difference. He was with them for a lot of years. The best draft they have had was a fictional draft with Kevin Costner. 

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Here’s a few of Auburn’s stats while CGM has been here!

One of the most innovative offensive minds in football, Malzahn’s high-powered offense has averaged 450 yards of total offense and 33 points per game in his five seasons at Auburn.

He has produced 15 1,000-yard rushers in 11 seasons as a college coach, at least one in each season, including Heisman Trophy finalist Tre Mason (1,816) and Nick Marshall (1,068) in 2013 and Cameron-Artis Payne (1,608) in 2014. Kamryn Pettway ran for 1,123 yards in 2016 despite missing significant time with injuries and Kerryon Johnson led the SEC with 1,320 yards in 2017.

On three occasions, he has had two 1,000-yard rushers in the same season: 2013 (Auburn), 2010 (Auburn) and 2006 (Arkansas) and this year, in addition to Pettway, Kerryon Johnson notched 862 rushing yards. Malzahn has also coached five 1,000-yard receivers and three 3,000-yard passers. His 2007 Tulsa team had three 1,000-yard receivers.

Since Malzahn’s arrival, Auburn has the top rushing offense in the SEC, averaging 253.9 yards per game. In 2013, Auburn led the nation in rushing at 328.3 yards per game, the first SEC team ever to do so. Three of the top six team rushing totals in SEC history (2010, 2013, 2016) have come under Malzahn’s leadership.

Auburn was just the second team in SEC history to gain more than 7,000 yards of total offense in a season in 2013, finishing the year with 7,018 yards; the other was Texas A&M in 2012.

The Tigers set a school record with 48 rushing touchdowns in 2013 and set a school record against SEC opponents with 677 yards of total offense vs. No. 5 Missouri in the SEC Championship Game. The Tigers set SEC Championship Game team records with 26 rushing first downs, 74 rushing attempts, 545 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns.

Tre Mason, a Heisman Trophy finalist and SEC Player of the Year in 2013, ranked third in the nation with 23 touchdowns, was fifth nationally with 1,816 yards rushing, sixth with 10.7 points per game, sixth with 169.57 all-purpose yards per game and eighth with 129.7 rushing yards per game. Mason set the Auburn single-season record with 1,816 rushing yards and 2,374 all-purpose yards, is second with 317 rushing attempts. His 46 rushing attempts and 304 rushing yards vs. No. 5 Missouri set SEC Championship Game records and fell three yards shy of the Auburn record.

In his five seasons, a total of 20 players have been selected in the National Football League draft, first round picks Greg Robinson (No. 2 overall) and Dee Ford (No. 23) of the 2014 draft. This past spring, offensive lineman Braden Smith, running back Kerryon Johnson and defensive back Carlton Davis were all taken in the second round of the 2018 draft.

Malzahn has coached 10 All-Americans as head coach at Auburn: RB Tre Mason (2013), RS Chris Davis (2013), C Reese Dismukes (2014), PK Daniel Carlson (2015-16-17), DL Carl Lawson (2016), DL Montravious Adams (2016), OL Braden Smith (2016-17), DB Carlton Davis (2017), DL Jeff Holland (2017), and RB Kerryon Johnson (2017). Dismukes was named the 2014 Rimington Award winner as the nation’s top center and Carlson was a three-time Lou Groza Award finalist.

The Tigers have faced the nation’s most difficult schedule collectively during Malzahn’s five years on the Plains facing 28 ranked opponents, including 15 in the top 10. Auburn was the nation’s only program in 2016 to face both the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked programs and in 2017 it faced three of the four CFP Semifinalists a total of four times, earning two wins.

Malzahn has his coaching staff have been highly successful on the recruiting trail, recording five consecutive Top 10 nationally ranked recruiting classes, a first in the program’s history.

Academically, Malzahn’s Tigers have excelled as 100-plus players have graduated since his arrival. In the fall 2016 semester a program-best 56 players posted a 3.0 grade point average.

Malzahn, who won the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach in 2010 while helping the Tigers to the national title, returned to Auburn after serving as the head coach at Arkansas State in 2012, where he led the program to the Sun Belt Conference title.

As offensive coordinator, Malzahn made an immediate impact during his tenure at Auburn, highlighted by a record-setting offense in 2010 when the Tigers finished 14-0 and claimed the school’s first national title since 1957.

Malzahn’s arrival in 2009 and style of offense marked a drastic turnaround from the 2008 season when Auburn struggled offensively. In a two-year period, the Tigers improved from a tie for 110th to seventh in the nation in scoring offense (from 17.3 to 41.2) and from 104th to seventh in total offense.

The 2010 Auburn offense set nine school records, while leading the SEC and finished in the top 10 nationally in six statistical categories. He coached Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton, who had one of the best single-season performances at the position in college football history. Newton threw for 2,908 yards and 30 touchdowns, while rushing for 1,586 yards and 20 TDs. Newton, the No. 1 overall draft pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, also won the Davey O’Brien, Manning and Maxwell Awards

How dare you use statistical fax on these haters.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

not many of ‘em. A much, much shorter list of elite offensive recruits that actually panned out here. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yeah in the third round. Since 2014 we have had zero prospects drafted in the first round. That’s alarming for a football factory that expects top 12 recruiting classes every year.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Mike Lombardi from what i read is a joke. i believe he is unemployed and from what i read on the rant the guy has failed more than a couple of times at jobs he has held in the nfl and been fired. so just how damn expert is he if he cannot keep a job? i think this is nothing more than a "look at me" type statement hoping to get a job as some sort of commentator or analyst. i am also pretty sure many folks said stidham was ready to play before he ever walked on the auburn campus. is it not reasonable to say most qb's that hope to make it to the pro's probably already knew of nfl receiver routes or route tree's if you will. he also worked with qb guru's several times so i just do not believe gus bears any blame. the only honest shade i believe can be thrown against auburn was the oline was terrible most of the year and stidham got rattled and played too nervous. i would never say stidham is a coward because like some say but i do believe his happy feet should have gotten him a couple of scholly offers from dance schools.............

Really at the end of the day, the only thing this quote proves is that Lombardi is an @$$hat. Quotes like this dont help you get hired.

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah in the third round. Since 2014 we have had zero prospects drafted in the first round. That’s alarming for a football factory that expects top 12 recruiting classes every year.

You would think that a team following up an NCG appearance would acquire some players worthy of 1st round selection.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Read some of that ... Sounds like an old guy on a drunken rant.  

Get off my lawn!!

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

You would think that a team following up an NCG appearance would acquire some players worthy of 1st round selection.

We didn’t use that championship run to our advantage at all. Gus was asked about facilities upgrades after that season and he said the facilities that they had were “fine.” I don’t know if Jacobs would’ve allowed it or not, but with the support around the fanbase so high, we should have struck when the stove was hot. 

Never saw an uptick in recruiting either. We couldn’t sell an elite dual threat QB to be the next Cam or Marshall even though we had both and two championship appearances in a three year span. Should’ve been an easy sell. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

not many of ‘em. A much, much shorter list of elite offensive recruits that actually panned out here. 

Are we getting the likes of Alabama , tOSU, LSU, UGA ( recently )? No. But we are usually in the top ten since Gus got here in overall recruiting . That is more than enough to compete at a high level including get to the playoffs . A different argument can be had in terms of player development.For instance , there was no reason , at least on paper , why the 2015 or 2017 squad shouldn’t have won an SEC championship. Mind you , both of those squads had QBs considered Heisman QBs. The 2015 backfield had Roc Thomas, Peyton Barber, KJ and Jovon Robinson.  Why expectations weren’t met? I can’t tell you but all of it isn’t Gus’s fault . Maybe most.

Blaming Gus’s offensive style for Stidham’s problems last year is a little unfair.  There was inexperience and lack of consistency on the O-line and Stidham was a little spooked himself, thinking he might get hurt and not fulfill his NFL dream.  Gus’s offense might not have been the perfect fit for Stidham, but he did pretty well the year before. Also, look at the type of QBs that are being drafted high these days.  Aren’t Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray uptempo and likely to take off running. That’s a little more like Gus’s offense, I’d think.  Not a big pro fan, but I just think there’s more to last season than the specific plays that were called. 

If you're asking a pro scout who only cares about college as it relates to the next level, I don't see what's wrong with him saying it's one of the worst in CFB. People are looking at it with a jaded college POV when it's clear cut his underlying meaning in that quip 

Jimbo's offense does alot of things to make guys pro ready even though its one of the least creative offenses on this level, for example 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Are we getting the likes of Alabama , tOSU, LSU, UGA ( recently )? No. But we are usually in the top ten since Gus got here in overall recruiting . That is more than enough to compete at a high level including get to the playoffs . A different argument can be had in terms of player development.For instance , there was no reason , at least on paper , why the 2015 or 2017 squad shouldn’t have won an SEC championship. Mind you , both of those squads had QBs considered Heisman QBs. The 2015 backfield had Roc Thomas, Peyton Barber, KJ and Jovon Robinson.  Why expectations weren’t met? I can’t tell you but all of it isn’t Gus’s fault . Maybe most.

Id blame almost all of 2017 on Gus just because the receivers were substantially better than in 2015, the QB play was better, the top 2 RBs in that offense were maybe better than in 2015 and the defense was better. Basically everything was better except the OL (by a lil), Gus not wanting to spell KJ as much as he should've, and being unable to adjust when the screens weren't there 

I loathe Malzahn’s offense, but I don’t agree with this guy. His offense is made to make less into a cohesive weapon that outperforms its parts. The results are not surprising. We have limited success against stronger defenses and rack up numbers against average to bad teams. A quarterback like Stidham isn’t going to thrive in an offense like our’s the same as a more pro-style setup because our’s makes much less use of the total field and asks much more risk to the QB. Short of a generational talent like Cam, it’s hard to see any QB getting much NFL love from a Malzahn offense...but it does put up numbers.

Archived