Beasts from the Southeast

StatTiger

I believe Gus Malzahn's intent was to utilize both backs during the 2017 season but it did not work out for Kamryn Pettway. Putting this clip together, it made me appreciate the effort and production by both backs. One thing that stood out to me was the vicious "stiff arm" Johnson possessed. Should D.J. Williams turn out to be a very productive back, I hope he along with Whitlow will become more of a 1-2 combination. The same goes should another back on the depth chart surface this season.

If those two could’ve stayed healthy for the whole two seasons together it would have been amazing!

I can see this running back crew for 2019 doing some KJ & Bubba hurt on SEC defenses!

56 minutes ago, toddc said:

If those two could’ve stayed healthy for the whole two seasons together it would have been amazing!

Yes indeed!

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Yes indeed!

Agreed....I think Boobie is coming along nicely and showed flashes last year.....and I think that one of either DJ/MAR/ is another 3 down back in the making and then we have Worm and Kmart for situational change of pace.....and maybe Worm turns out to be 1B and the other 3 down back...or even premier back....I could see it.....but I really think DJ is going to blow some peoples minds...and we havent even seen MAR yet....I think he is special too....I like our RB room probably more than i have in Gus' Tenure

I hope we conserve a redshirt for MAR, but I dont see why we would need him if Kam can be a bit more consistent as the third back or Shivers gets the touches he's earned (no way DJ doesnt force his way up to second eventually)

KP might be a bigger what-if story than Jovon. His 5-6 game stretch, while not against the best defenses, was the most surprising I've seen from a RB for this team. Dude was an afterthought at even the FB/HB position 

10 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Agreed....I think Boobie is coming along nicely and showed flashes last year.....and I think that one of either DJ/MAR/ is another 3 down back in the making and then we have Worm and Kmart for situational change of pace.....and maybe Worm turns out to be 1B and the other 3 down back...or even premier back....I could see it.....but I really think DJ is going to blow some peoples minds...and we havent even seen MAR yet....I think he is special too....I like our RB room probably more than i have in Gus' Tenure

Out of reactions but great post. 

13 hours ago, StatTiger said:

The same goes should another back on the depth chart surface this season.

Another back on the depth chart surfaced last season. He had a 75 yard touchdown called back in the IB. 

On bull****. You forgot to add “called back on bull****”. Other than that, totally agree. Shivers will be a difference maker this year. 

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

KP might be a bigger what-if story than Jovon. His 5-6 game stretch, while not against the best defenses, was the most surprising I've seen from a RB for this team. Dude was an afterthought at even the FB/HB position 

Yep...For Pettway, it was a sad conclusion to what looked like a great career at AU.   "beast" is a good description and seemed to have a big NFL future ahead of him.   And watching KJ again was really fun.....except to make me miss him all the more for what could have been his senior year. 

Thanks for the vid......enjoyable way to start the day...

PS......plus it was nice to see White when he was healthy and at his best....made some good fakes on those hand-offs...and to his detriment, was willing to tuck the ball and run which helped keep defenses honest. 

31 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

On bull****. You forgot to add “called back on bull****”. Other than that, totally agree. Shivers will be a difference maker this year. 

Gus called it bull "crap" and still got flagged. SMDH

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Thought this was "Breasts from the Southeast" for a moment, and now I'm sorely disappointed. 

Barnacle speaks for us all. 

A girl in my freshman English class was in Playboy's Girls of the SEC issue. 

If KP had been available in that iron bowl ( and beyond) to spell KJ we would have been in the playoffs, I think. 

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think he would have been the best fb we ever had. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Barnacle speaks for us all. 

A girl in my freshman English class was in Playboy's Girls of the SEC issue. 

I had a girlfriend whose older sister was featured in a collegiate issue, but I'm sorry to admit that I can't remember what it looked like...

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I had a girlfriend whose older sister was featured in a collegiate issue, but I'm sorry to admit that I can't remember what it looked like...

Image result for disappointed gif

Those guys carried this team at different time through 2016-2017.  Could have been Caddy and Ronnie 2.0 if they could have been healthy.  Unfortunately it took both being injured to let the other show out.  Definitely could have been the difference in a good and an AUmazing season in 2017 if both had stayed healthy or whatever. Also love seeing Sean.  He was a great salesman and wasn’t scared to throw a block.

If I compare current backs to AU greats 1. Boobie is Barber, Worm is Tre, DJ is Kenny Irons, Kmart is McCaleb, and MAR is Kerryon (to be seen).

Those two guys ran like an Auburn back, downhill run you over back.  Coach Lac was probably the best at it.  Can't wait to see how much that has passed down to our current stable. 

On 5/7/2019 at 10:36 AM, alexava said:

I think he would have been the best fb we ever had. 

I just don’t think Gus was capable of using two backs that are both essentially RBs at once. Idk why

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just don’t think Gus was capable of using two backs that are both essentially RBs at once. Idk why

I mean just as a fb. Primarily blocking with 6/8 touches a game. Better than Cox , Prosch.... Tony Richardson good. 

Archived