Professional Soccer

AUBwins

Edited by AUBwins

• 1 month later...

Ridiculous Rooney! One of the best to ever play.  Wow. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We're really enjoying it now that we have a hometown club to support here in Birmingham. We go to Legion games routinely. It's been a rough year on the field, which we knew it would be going in, but they pack the stadium out and the supporters are loud.

Im glad to hear they are putting butts in the seats.  ultimately that is the most important thing ... of course they will have to win enough and be competitive enough in the near future to keep people interested.  corporate sponsorship and attendance will lead to a successful team on the field. 

I know there is enough home grown talent in alabama and the surrounding states to put some local kids on a theoretical girls pro team, but I'm not familiar with the boys side.  without there being boys sec college teams, is there a local/regional talent pool that can filter into a pro team like this.  I think there is presently one local kid who plays a little?

19 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Ridiculous Rooney! One of the best to ever play.  Wow. 

Holy mess! That was a thing of beauty! I thought the shot from Carli Lloyd during the last Women's World Cup couldn't be topped but damn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Holy mess! That was a thing of beauty! I thought the shot from Carli Lloyd during the last Women's World Cup couldn't be topped but damn.

Practically didn't even look up when he did it. I need to watch more MLS. I hope we can start getting the premiere league guys before their twilight years.  Rooney still got game though. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Practically didn't even look up when he did it. I need to watch more MLS. I hope we can start getting the premiere league guys before their twilight years.  Rooney still got game though. 

I don't watch much MLS, more of a fan of Women's soccer since I got into the game a lot more during the Women's World Cup in 2015.

10 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I don't watch much MLS, more of a fan of Women's soccer since I got into the game a lot more during the Women's World Cup in 2015.

I really haven't either.  I mainly only watch when I see a star like Dempsey, Altidore etc. 

Put my deposit down in the first 15 minutes for tickets when Austin FC starts in 2021.  Supposedly the earlier you put money down, the further up in line you are.  Hope that's the case, because the demand is far outweighing the supply.

• 1 year later...

Birmingham Legion is on the rise. After inexplicably going on a tear and making the playoff last year, they've come back for year two with a vengeance. Played Memphis last night to open the season, for whom Tim Howard (yes, THAT Tim Howard) keeps goal, and absolutely obliterated them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:44 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Put my deposit down in the first 15 minutes for tickets when Austin FC starts in 2021.  Supposedly the earlier you put money down, the further up in line you are.  Hope that's the case, because the demand is far outweighing the supply.

Guess who's tickets just came though?!  Can't freaking wait!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Didn't Austin use to have a team?

USL, but never a top flight team.  Before we got awarded Austin FC, Austin was the largest city in America without a top level professional team in any of the five "major" leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, AUBwins said:

The greatest.  

He and Busquets are gonna go insane on MLS. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AUDub said:

He and Busquets are gonna go insane on MLS. 

Easy

• 4 weeks later...

Watching FC Cincinnati vs Inter Miami. Top team vs hottest team.  FC Cincinnati scores 1st and nearly scored a minute later but was ruled offsides.  That was such a world class beauty of a goal that didn't count in the end. 

Messi has only touched the ball twice thus far. 

What an incredible game this turned out to be! 3-3 with Inter Mia winning 5-4 in PKs. You should watch the highlights.  Brilliant goals but absolutely masterful service volleys by Messi on the 2 assists.  Wow.  Glad he's on US soil so that everyone has that exposure to see how futbol is meant to be played.  Incredible to watch.  Thank you Messi for coming to MLS.

• Like 1

I’ve watched highlights from all the games since he came to Miami - along with the other guys.  It’s very cool to see the goat still have the desire to win and you can tell the entire offense has elevated their game … I’ve also noticed that mls defense/goalkeepers are not exactly Real Madrid either…