Iron Bowl Memories

StatTiger

This is Part I of the video features I've compiled, celebrating Auburn's victories in the Iron Bowl since 1981. From 1982-1989, only Miami and Nebraska possessed a higher win percentage than the Auburn Tigers under Pat Dye. It was a great era in the program and I hope you enjoy viewing it as much as I did compiling the feature.

1982 and seeing Bo go over the top and the south goal post come down at Legion Field. Always remember the bammer fan telling my father in law to be that the goal post cost $12000 and that Auburn would have to pay for it. Father in law pulled his wallet out and told the guy he would take two of them. 

31 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

89 Iron Bowl. No game will ever top that game in JHS. Even the Kick Six. What a special day.

Yes it was. My older brother flew in from England to go to the game with me and we had a blast. I still have my ticket and paper shaker from that game and they are framed on the wall.

17 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Yes it was. My older brother flew in from England to go to the game with me and we had a blast. I still have my ticket and paper shaker from that game and they are framed on the wall.

Same here I have them framed along with the program. Had season tickets that year 

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Same here I have them framed along with the program. Had season tickets that year 

Yeah, I too have my tickets from that game and it’s the time I told my soon to be wife that I loved her the first time! I knew she was the one after seeing what a huge AU fan she was! 😂 

57 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Remember thinking the sky looked hazy that afternoon, nothing but a cloud of orange and blue paper from the shakers over the stadium. Knew bammer did not have much of chance that day when they pulled in on there buses. Through Tiger walk in the south end zone in those days. Bless their little crimson hearts.

47 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Still have that program and the first program in Coach Dyes career. " The Dye Era Begins". Amazing how the programs have changed. BTW, in pics he sported a Timex watch the early years, a few later he upgraded to Rolex.

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

89 Iron Bowl. No game will ever top that game in JHS. Even the Kick Six. What a special day.

I was there. Never seen anything like that day.  There must have been 20,000 people from both sides at Tiger Walk.  I couldn’t even get close so I went inside the stadium and watched it from the concourse.  Man what a day!

I really enjoyed this video. It brings back a lot of memories. It really is "Great To Be An Auburn Tiger".

On 5/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, augolf1716 said:

Golf, just want to comment about your pic of Cliff Hare stadium as it was known back in my day. The building up at the North end was known as the Field House. It's where our players suited up for the games and would come running out when it was time to play. Every time I look at it it reminds me of my freshman year at Auburn and our 1957 National Championship team.. It became Jordan-Hare stadium in 1973. Just a little bit of history for our younger folks on here.

WDE

On 5/15/2019 at 7:08 AM, StatTiger said:

This is Part I of the video features I've compiled, celebrating Auburn's victories in the Iron Bowl since 1981. From 1982-1989, only Miami and Nebraska possessed a higher win percentage than the Auburn Tigers under Pat Dye. It was a great era in the program and I hope you enjoy viewing it as much as I did compiling the feature.

Thanks, great way to start my morning.............had to rewind Scott Bolton reverse...........dude had speed on a team full of speedsters.

@StatTiger Would you be so kind as to edit the Wikipedia page for single-season quarterback passing records for Reggie Slack's 1988 season of 2392 yards passing? He passed for more yards than #9-Brandon Cox (2,324) and #10-Dameyune Craig (2,296).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_Tigers_football_statistical_leaders

I am reminded again what a really good QB Reggie slack was.  Great, great years with some phenomenal football players. those years I had to work most saturdays and there was only a couple of games per Saturday even on TV.  Thanks for the memories Coach Dye and players. 

On 5/17/2019 at 12:51 PM, Slammer1 said:

Golf, just want to comment about your pic of Cliff Hare stadium as it was known back in my day. The building up at the North end was known as the Field House. It's where our players suited up for the games and would come running out when it was time to play. Every time I look at it it reminds me of my freshman year at Auburn and our 1957 National Championship team.. It became Jordan-Hare stadium in 1973. Just a little bit of history for our younger folks on here.

I have looked at Golf's stadium photo many times and it always reminds me of attending some games when I was a young boy, maybe 1958 or 1959. At that time I was (10) years old. If I remember correctly you could sit on the grassy bank for less than the price of a stadium ticket.  After the game was over the players would walk to the field house beyond the North endzone that you mentioned, while little kids like me pestered them for their chin straps. Some great memories!

Archived