Jeremy Johnson Post

AidiAU

Just now, cole256 said:

Stidham throw last year....I don't know how it could be worse. Safety has already been killing it in the short season he waits the snap count and sprints up....you hike the ball while staring at the defensive back the entire time and throw it directly to him the first play us having the ball on their 20....didn't try to audible, didn't try to fake, didn't look for another read.....literally this is the play that's called the person I'm going to throw to and I be damned if I care about anything else lol

Hah, I think you missed the "as many in such a short time" part. You mentioned one throw. Now give me a few more in one 3-game stratch, by Stidham or by White or even by Kiehl Frazier. I don't think any of those guys did what JJ did over and over again. 

Sad thing is, all of these guys dealt with severe malfunction in the offense around them for significant chunks of their time as starters. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I think part of JJs initial struggles weren’t his ability to see the field, but him predetermining his direction presnap. Dude wasn’t afraid to throw a ball that’s for sure. As the season went on and he has to take back over for White, the offense began to progressively take less downfield shots and became more focused on running the ball. 

I still think part of 2016 Clemson QB deal was an attempt to put JJ on the field without the pressure of starting or feeling like he had to do everything. I think he made some good throws before throwing that red zone pick too. 

Right so that makes me think that jj had a big arm and thought too much of it. Sw not so much but didn't take risks. I'd prefer SW in that scenario but....  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I do think it's possible that JJ could have been as good as we thought he was going to be under different circumstances. And it really pisses me off when people try to question his courage. 

My sister used to give me so much crap because I was JJ's #1 cheerleader. I just believed that the lights would click and we would see him snap into the QB we saw the Arkansas (I think) game when he had to start for Marshall. I could never go through what he went through and not be on suicide watch. It's a very rough road to go down and I have much admiration for him staying at AU and graduating.  

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hah, I think you missed the "as many in such a short time" part. You mentioned one throw. Now give me a few more in one 3-game stratch, by Stidham or by White or even by Kiehl Frazier. I don't think any of those guys did what JJ did over and over again. 

Sad thing is, all of these guys dealt with severe malfunction in the offense around them for significant chunks of their time as starters. 

I'll have to see Johnson's throws. I guess all ints are bad but some can be Wtf are you thinking. I don't remember all of his being like that but besides the Louisville game he put td's with it. 

I absolutely believe Frazier has. Nobody can make a logical case that he was better than Johnson. 

But maybe not because me and white aren't going to throw downfield enough. In one game Johnson threw as many td's Frazier did his career and threw half of SW career in those 3 games. All in all he threw one more int than td those 3 games. Also you can see each game he was getting better. 

Stidham had potential...I don't know what we did to him to scare him so bad lol

43 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

My sister used to give me so much crap because I was JJ's #1 cheerleader. I just believed that the lights would click and we would see him snap into the QB we saw the Arkansas (I think) game when he had to start for Marshall. I could never go through what he went through and not be on suicide watch. It's a very rough road to go down and I have much admiration for him staying at AU and graduating.  

Definitely hard to watch

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Right so that makes me think that jj had a big arm and thought too much of it. Sw not so much but didn't take risks. I'd prefer SW in that scenario but....  

Could be, if you look at the game most people pointed to for JJ (2014 Arky), I think all of his completions were to his first read. Some of that is by design as Malzahn likes to scheme open specific routes, but part of that could be his belief on his arm too.

IMO, Sean White liked to force his passes too, he just didn’t do it on his first read every play. Really wish SW could’ve been healthy for UGA both in 2015 and 2016, I think we could’ve had two more wins over UGA in that time. 

16 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Could be, if you look at the game most people pointed to for JJ (2014 Arky), I think all of his completions were to his first read. Some of that is by design as Malzahn likes to scheme open specific routes, but part of that could be his belief on his arm too.

IMO, Sean White liked to force his passes too, he just didn’t do it on his first read every play. Really wish SW could’ve been healthy for UGA both in 2015 and 2016, I think we could’ve had two more wins over UGA in that time. 

I was about to say the same thing. When Muschamp came to Auburn he complained about the sissy level of practices.  Gus has always run soft practices where the 1st option is always the target.  There is no practicing of making reads on what the defense does by the QB.  Stidham has been our only qb who hit other options occasionally while in the pocket.  Nick and Cam made plays because of their running ability when a play broke down, but it was rare for them to go through the reads when the first option wasn't there.  When you practiced against walk ons and no contact allowed the first option is always open.  Most interceptions were by lack of QB training.

Personally I felt that some of our fanbase treated JJ horrible and it was embarrassing.  Part of it was Gus hyping JJ and creating unrealistic expectations by fans.  JJ and Holland deserved to be treated so much better by our fans.  They gave 100% effort and it was not their fault if that effort didn't meet some peoples standards.  It is the coaches fault for not having better players to be playing ahead of them.  

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Imo I haven't seen any QB's that's played for Gus make more than two reads 

@McLoofus is right, it was a historically bad string of games for JJ6. The media was all over this stat. JJ6's picks were wayyyy worse than any of Stidham's IMO. I mean straight up like a LB sitting in a zone and JJ6 throws it directly to his chest like he was the intended target. Stidham had like 2-3 truly bad picks over his 2 years like @cole256 mentioned but none were nearly as bad as JJ6's. I think once you take a look at them you will agree. But JJ6 came out looking like he wasn't sure which team to throw to. Remember announcers were even wondering if he needed corrective eye surgery or his vision checked? If Stidham's were QB 101 mistakes then JJ6's poor reads were truly popwarner level mistakes.

That being said, I feel terrible for the kid because he seems to be struggling with how his college career went. I was a part of the vocal majority slamming the kid on this site so I feel guilty about it. His play was what it was but some of the hyperbolic things I, and others said, seem to still be affecting him. And I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise. His life's work came crashing down and the fans piled on him as a result. I hope he's able to find peace of mind and hope that if he ever spends time at AU he's treated well.

@Tiger you help make my point

Kyle Frazier first 3 games 2 td's and 5 int. His first 4 games it's 2td and 7int

His first 5 games is 2td and 8int

Jeremy Johnson first 3 games 5 td 6 int finished season 10td and 7int

Sean white first 5 games 0td's 1 int. Finished season 1td and 4int

But for whatever reason Johnson worst start ever. 

There's a wonderful YouTube changed called war eagle war room or something like that. I went and watched all plays discussed. JJ's picks the Louisville game was horrible. The very first one the worst IMO. Like you said threw it straight to him.  Other pick tried to fit it in and the third was rolling out being chased to the sideline and either tried to fit it in or throw it out of bounds.

The Jax st games bad but not remedial or whatever. I would even think somebody was running the wrong route with them being so close but threw it to a guy who was open but the defender on the shallow route jumped up and snagged it.

Stidham play just as bad as Johnson Louisville one. Was rolling out eyes on the man the entire time safety waited for him to throw out and stidham threw it right to him. 

Those stats don't lie and that's my point somebody decided to go put some stats together and make it a HISTORIC string of bad games....you can't tell me in the history of football that's the worst tell start of a QB ever.....you also tell me if I was describing the worst start ever you wouldn't be thinking something like 0td's and 8 ints. 5td's and 6int.....I mean it sucks but it's not some unbelievable omg stat. But that's how they talk about dude like a stretch like that is some unheard of monstrosity. Look how you described him. He's basically killed off of two games. 

Frazier was horrible and SW is said to be one of the most accurate and he didn't even have to play a tough game. The way JJ is remembered and described by his own fan base is pretty bad and the horrible QB before him and the so so QB after him don't have to carry that.

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@Tiger you help make my point

Kyle Frazier first 3 games 2 td's and 5 int. His first 4 games it's 2td and 7int

His first 5 games is 2td and 8int

Jeremy Johnson first 3 games 5 td 6 int finished season 10td and 7int

Sean white first 5 games 0td's 1 int. Finished season 1td and 4int

But for whatever reason Johnson worst start ever. 

There's a wonderful YouTube changed called war eagle war room or something like that. I went and watched all plays discussed. JJ's picks the Louisville game was horrible. The very first one the worst IMO. Like you said threw it straight to him.  Other pick tried to fit it in and the third was rolling out being chased to the sideline and either tried to fit it in or throw it out of bounds.

The Jax st games bad but not remedial or whatever. I would even think somebody was running the wrong route with them being so close but threw it to a guy who was open but the defender on the shallow route jumped up and snagged it.

Stidham play just as bad as Johnson Louisville one. Was rolling out eyes on the man the entire time safety waited for him to throw out and stidham threw it right to him. 

Those stats don't lie and that's my point somebody decided to go put some stats together and make it a HISTORIC string of bad games....you can't tell me in the history of football that's the worst tell start of a QB ever.....you also tell me if I was describing the worst start ever you wouldn't be thinking something like 0td's and 8 ints. 5td's and 6int.....I mean it sucks but it's not some unbelievable omg stat. But that's how they talk about dude like a stretch like that is some unheard of monstrosity. Look how you described him. He's basically killed off of two games. 

Frazier was horrible and SW is said to be one of the most accurate and he didn't even have to play a tough game. The way JJ is remembered and described by his own fan base is pretty bad and the horrible QB before him and the so so QB after him don't have to carry that.

Man I'm trying to find evidence of the "worst start in SEC history" or whatever it was but I cannot find it. I certainly remember it being a point of discussion on here. But I know I'm not making it up because @McLoofus remembers it too. Unless we are both in the same nut house -- which I'm not ready to rule out :ucrazy:lol. But my point was not that JJ6 was worse or better than Frazier or White, but more about Stidham being brought into the discussion. but JJ6 was not better than White IMO (competition had something to do with it I'll admit...and zero TDs is not what you want out of your QB -- but Gus is scared to throw in the RZ), but Frazier was in his own class of bad and the program was crumbling around him during his time. Not saying JJ6 was working with a strong squad as we almost lost to Jax State but I think remember the Stidz throw. It was bad. He also had a baaad one vs UCF if I'm not mistaken. But he only had 1-2 of those in 2 seasons while JJ6 matched that number of WTF type picks in like 10% of the snaps. I've never heard a media member ask if a QBs vision is impaired because of the way and the frequency of interceptions being thrown. 

I understand Frazier/White being brought into this but Stidham and JJ6 are worlds apart as QBs and their contributions on the field at AU couldn't be more different -- not saying you think they're the same. Stidham had 9 picks over 2 full seasons of starts. JJ6 had 9 picks over his junior and seniors seasons and he was pulled from the starting lineup 1/3 of the way through his jr season. I'm done piling on JJ6 though. I think we are all on the same page that he was bad.

To pivot on QB perception a bit, Brandon Cox seemingly gets more love on here than Stidham and Cox did not win a championship of any kind while AU's QB. 

Nobody ever said that it was the worst start in history. I said several times that it was the worst start by an SEC quarterback in several years. I don't know how that got misinterpreted.

Kiehl Frazier got absolutely eviscerated for the way he played. He got trashed every bit as badly as Jeremy did. 

Sean White might have been only so-so but he was still way better than Jeremy Johnson. So no, he is not spoken about the same way.

All of those things happened long time ago and they have been discussed to death. There are literally no new opinions or no new information here.

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Man I'm trying to find evidence of the "worst start in SEC history" or whatever it was but I cannot find it. I certainly remember it being a point of discussion on here. But I know I'm not making it up because @McLoofus remembers it too. Unless we are both in the same nut house -- which I'm not ready to rule out :ucrazy:lol. But my point was not that JJ6 was worse or better than Frazier or White, but more about Stidham being brought into the discussion. but JJ6 was not better than White IMO (competition had something to do with it I'll admit...and zero TDs is not what you want out of your QB -- but Gus is scared to throw in the RZ), but Frazier was in his own class of bad and the program was crumbling around him during his time. Not saying JJ6 was working with a strong squad as we almost lost to Jax State but I think remember the Stidz throw. It was bad. He also had a baaad one vs UCF if I'm not mistaken. But he only had 1-2 of those in 2 seasons while JJ6 matched that number of WTF type picks in like 10% of the snaps. I've never heard a media member ask if a QBs vision is impaired because of the way and the frequency of interceptions being thrown. 

I understand Frazier/White being brought into this but Stidham and JJ6 are worlds apart as QBs and their contributions on the field at AU couldn't be more different -- not saying you think they're the same. Stidham had 9 picks over 2 full seasons of starts. JJ6 had 9 picks over his junior and seniors seasons and he was pulled from the starting lineup 1/3 of the way through his jr season. I'm done piling on JJ6 though. I think we are all on the same page that he was bad.

To pivot on QB perception a bit, Brandon Cox seemingly gets more love on here than Stidham and Cox did not win a championship of any kind while AU's QB. 

I mentioned stidham just to say he's a good QB and I can remember 3 bad ints he's thrown and that would be half the ints Johnson threw. But it wasn't to say that he's not a better QB

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nobody ever said that it was the worst start in history. I said several times that it was the worst start by an SEC quarterback in several years. I don't know how that got misinterpreted.

Kiehl Frazier got absolutely eviscerated for the way he played. He got trashed every bit as badly as Jeremy did. 

Sean White might have been only so-so but he was still way better than Jeremy Johnson. So no, he is not spoken about the same way.

All of those things happened long time ago and they have been discussed to death. There are literally no new opinions or no new information here.

So basically every QB Gus has recruited out of HS has been a bust. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well that's just an opinion. Me and you are much better than Johnson because we didn't throw any td's or ints. Way better? But that's my point. 

People still to this day will say things like as bad as jj but I don't hear people say that referring to Frazier and Frazier is the worst I've seen between him kodi and Mosley that's an whole different bottom tier level. 

I feel I have brought new opinion and actually stats. Maybe not new but showing the perspective of the worst start of a SEC qb in several years when these QB's were pretty much all in the same era. Whose start really is worse? But Johnson had a horrible couple of games and for whatever reason he carries the torch

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I mentioned stidham just to say he's a good QB and I can remember 3 bad ints he's thrown and that would be half the ints Johnson threw. But it wasn't to say that he's not a better QB

This is another thing I look at. Been a while now I think it's safe to say we are ok with wanting to see a guy recruited to be a QB from high school and be groomed and successful at the position now

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So basically every QB Gus has recruited out of HS has been a bust. 

Going back to Mitch Mustain.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Going back to Mitch Mustain.

Makes you wonder if it's evaluation, development, or both.

9 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Makes you wonder if it's evaluation, development, or both.

I think you already know I'ma go with C on that.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Imo I haven't seen any QB's that's played for Gus make more than two reads 

There are probably a few. Stidham had a few but for the most part you’re correct. Lots of our plays have both near and far side WRs routes mirrored for simplicity. I’ll try and find some examples later!

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Well that's just an opinion. Me and you are much better than Johnson because we didn't throw any td's or ints. Way better? But that's my point. 

People still to this day will say things like as bad as jj but I don't hear people say that referring to Frazier and Frazier is the worst I've seen between him kodi and Mosley that's an whole different bottom tier level. 

I feel I have brought new opinion and actually stats. Maybe not new but showing the perspective of the worst start of a SEC qb in several years when these QB's were pretty much all in the same era. Whose start really is worse? But Johnson had a horrible couple of games and for whatever reason he carries the torch

Nothing negative lasted 5 seconds on here because Frazier’s dad posted frequently how great everybody was.  I think if he could KF would have played soccer in high school, he seemed to love soccer.  I don,t think he had fun playing football at this level.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

His life's work came crashing down and the fans piled on him as a result. I hope he's able to find peace of mind and hope that if he ever spends time at AU he's treated well.

I agree that he should be treated well when he returns to campus and I believe he will be. And I hate the thought of someone’s life’s work crumbling in their early 20s. That’s when ones life’s work should be getting started. Sports are just way bigger than they should be. 

21 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

There are probably a few. Stidham had a few but for the most part you’re correct. Lots of our plays have both near and far side WRs routes mirrored for simplicity. I’ll try and find some examples later!

Pretty sure I saw Stidham go through some progressions against Washington last year. After that, not so much.

23 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I felt that stidham did a little his first year, but his second year he was scary. Running not stepping up, falling down sometimes. Idk

Archived