Jeremy Johnson Post

AidiAU

At this point prayers for Jeremy and hope than he can move forward. I hate that football hasn't worked out for him but I know he was coaching at one time at his old HS. Maybe he can use his experience as fuel to help other young kids pursue their dream. Living in the past will drive you nuts. My father gave me this poem about 20 years ago and they have been words to live by. 

Screenshot_20180809-140915~2.png

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/18/2019 at 12:06 AM, Sizzle said:

In the comments he liked a few posts saying the Auburn fan base didn’t treat him well. He likes/appreciates Auburn university but not the fans

He was/is treated horribly by the fans. Dude wasn’t good but you would’ve thought Auburn was QBU with how low people viewed him. I’m not immune to some of that either (specifically in the midst of the season), although I definitely refrain from looking at him like that now. Maybe JF3 flopping and a Stidham being a complete burn out last year was karma for that. 

I just hope people learn to view things in perspective when we have another highly touted guy be underwhelming. 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just hope people learn to view things in perspective when we have another highly touted guy be underwhelming. 

Highly touted guys dont work out all the time. People dont blast Calvin Ashley, Nate Craig-Meyers, or Byron Cowart.

A HUGE part of the issue with JJ6 and his underwhelming play, was that the fanbase bought into the whole Jeremy Johnson for Heisman deal. The majority of them did so because of the things Gus would say. Gus bought into the JJ6 for heisman as well. Fans listened to their coach. We expected what he was saying to be true. 

JJ6 had kind of a triple edged sword swinging against him. Fans listened to the media and they listened to the coach. It wasnt just about stars with JJ6. He looked like a superstar in his spot starts. Fans expected him to play like he did then. He didnt. JJ6 had JJ6 working against him, he had the media working against him, and he had a young coach who didnt know to play down the things the media was saying working against him. 

It was just a perfect storm...

But that doesnt mean anyone blackballed him. It doesnt mean he was treated unfairly. It doesnt mean anything other than the fact he didn't transition into the college game as everyone thought he would. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Highly touted guys dont work out all the time. People dont blast Calvin Ashley, Nate Craig-Meyers, or Byron Cowart.

A HUGE part of the issue with JJ6 and his underwhelming play, was that the fanbase bought into the whole Jeremy Johnson for Heisman deal. The majority of them did so because of the things Gus would say. Gus bought into the JJ6 for heisman as well. Fans listened to their coach. We expected what he was saying to be true. 

JJ6 had kind of a triple edged sword swinging against him. Fans listened to the media and they listened to the coach. It wasnt just about stars with JJ6. He looked like a superstar in his spot starts. Fans expected him to play like he did then. He didnt. JJ6 had JJ6 working against him, he had the media working against him, and he had a young coach who didnt know to play down the things the media was saying working against him. 

But that doesnt mean anyone blackballed him. It doesnt mean he was treated unfairly. It doesnt mean anything other than the fact he didn't transition into the college game as everyone thought he would. 

All of this. Add to it that Gus didn’t like the options behind JJ, and you had a situation that was untenable for him. 

35 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

All of this. Add to it that Gus didn’t like the options behind JJ, and you had a situation that was untenable for him. 

There were several coaches, post Gus, that tried to coach him and it didn’t work out for them either. I don’t buy into this it was Gus, it was Duke William, it was the media, it was the fans, etc... It was a Jeremy Johnson thing...please get over it and move on. 

Jeremy, I wish you Godspeed and nothing but the best!

46 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You left out that it was due to his poor  evaluations and recruiting that his only option was JJ.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

There were several coaches, post Gus, that tried to coach him and it didn’t work out for them either. I don’t buy into this it was Gus, it was Duke William, it was the media, it was the fans, etc... It was a Jeremy Johnson thing...please get over it and move on. 

Jeremy, I wish you Godspeed and nothing but the best!

All I was referring to was the fact that Gus didn’t seem to want to go with any of the options behind JJ. I said nothing at all about his abilities. I said nothing negative about Gus. Good Lord, there is nothing for me to “get over” and “move on” about.

ETA- I think I may have a case of reading your response incorrectly. If so, I’ll take the interweb reprimand that I rightly deserve.😬

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

But that doesnt mean anyone blackballed him

No it doesn’t. Doesn’t mean it didnt happen. I know of a couple cases where HS coaches kept silent that college coaches were interested in players if the coaches didn’t like them. I know my own brother was benched over being late for a team meeting even though it was known that UNA baseball and others would be there that day to specifically see him. And when the backup freshmen first basemen misplayed the ball everybody in the stands could hear the assistant coach yelling to my brother sitting five feet from him  “that should’ve been you out there. That’s on you!”  Being irresponsible wasn’t characteristic of my brother and the coaches knew that, but they didn’t like how he spent so much off time with his GF and assumed he wasn’t focused. Lol.

Another case where a coach withheld letters from D1 programs inquiring about a player’s interest.. The kid was a little too carefree, and that is partly why he didn’t play in college, but he was a good teammate and one helluva kicker. The coaches could’ve used their influence and pointed the kid to what lies ahead of him at the next level if he attended camps and stuff. The kid didn’t play CFB even though he boomed kickoffs for touchback every time and could easily hit 50+ FGs. He ended up wrecking while driving and drinking in college and is now paralyzed. Things like that just make you wonder “what if” and how much it happens. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

All I was referring to was the fact that Gus didn’t seem to want to go with any of the options behind JJ. I said nothing at all about his abilities. I said nothing negative about Gus. Good Lord, there is nothing for me to “get over” and “move on” about.

I read that as AU-24 telling Jeremy Johnson to get over it and move on. Maybe I'm wrong. 

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I read that as AU-24 telling Jeremy Johnson to get over it and move on. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Definitely wouldn’t be the first time I misinterpreted something on the inter webs. 😬

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Depends on what your definition of blast is. But some of what you say is right, he looked great at the beginning, but it took a bit for the o line and running game to gel, unfortunately us as a team aren't the most consistent, he was following one of the best QB's the school has ever had.

But Johnson did deal with stuff I haven't seen another QB have to deal with from his own fan base

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

ETA- I think I may have a case of reading your response incorrectly. If so, I’ll take the interweb reprimand that I rightly deserve.😬

I meant Jeremy needs to get over it and move on, reference his words in the article.

I should’ve worded it better. 😕

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I meant Jeremy needs to get over it and move on, reference his words in the article.

I should’ve worded it better. 😕

It’s all good bud. I have no clue why I read it that way. 

Internet high fives all around!

570E4AF3-ACA8-4459-A0AF-EA1F3D53D796.gif

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Johnson did deal with stuff I haven't seen another QB have to deal with from his own fan base

Well wasnt it kind of warranted? 

auburn.0.gif

46 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well wasnt it kind of warranted? 

auburn.0.gif

To me this is the craziest stuff...he tried to throw a ball and it slipped out of his hand, this is the equivalent of people going dumb at a guy for shooting an air ball or dribbling off his foot. People did this to roc Thomas when he fumbled too

But no he didn't do anything that other QB's that sucked or actually that was good do. We saw the state of the team when other QB's played after him, it's pretty simple when we were able to run the ball the QB 's played from good to mediocre, when the o line couldn't block all the QB's played horrible

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

To me this is the craziest stuff...he tried to throw a ball and it slipped out of his hand, this is the equivalent of people going dumb at a guy for shooting an air ball or dribbling off his foot. People did this to roc Thomas when he fumbled too

But no he didn't do anything that other QB's that sucked or actually that was good do. We saw the state of the team when other QB's played after him, it's pretty simple when we were able to run the ball the QB 's played from good to mediocre, when the o line couldn't block all the QB's played horrible

You're right, that play doesn't mean anything and isn't indicative of poor QB play. It's a shame that people use it to make fun of one of our players. 

What *did* mean something and what *was* indicative of poor QB play were numerous plays in the first three games of 2015 that had nothing to do with a bad run game. JJ was not seeing the field at all and making horrific decisions throwing the ball. He had the worst 3-game start to a season of any QB in the SEC going back 10 years or something like that. There were some issues that made it worse but he threw some of the most head scratching interceptions I've ever seen. In multiple games. 

Still wish we could have seen the alternate ending where that long TD against Louisville doesn't get called back, though. For him and for Jason Smith. I mean, my goodness, what a beautiful ball he threw (6:10). Those interceptions, though. 

Maybe Gus blamed JJ for  the 2015 season behind closed doors.  Didn't Gus say something negative about stidham?

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

I remember the announcers showing Lashlee ripping Johnson’s glove off that day against LSU.  Was definitely the glove.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You're right, that play doesn't mean anything and isn't indicative of poor QB play. It's a shame that people use it to make fun of one of our players. 

What *did* mean something and what *was* indicative of poor QB play were numerous plays in the first three games of 2015 that had nothing to do with a bad run game. JJ was not seeing the field at all and making horrific decisions throwing the ball. He had the worst 3-game start to a season of any QB in the SEC going back 10 years or something like that. There were some issues that made it worse but he threw some of the most head scratching interceptions I've ever seen. In multiple games. 

Still wish we could have seen the alternate ending where that long TD against Louisville doesn't get called back, though. For him and for Jason Smith. I mean, my goodness, what a beautiful ball he threw (6:10). Those interceptions, though. 

I still think it was the oline and run game. This is during the roc Thomas ordeal and the Duke Williams crap. The o line didn't start being able to hold a block until after the LSU game. Even our stud full back. We'd waste a half trying to make roc Thomas run up the middle instead of using him properly and barber was getting hit at the line but he was dragging people and bout time we were feeding him it was to hold on

Now he definitely threw some bad picks but I feel like your post sort of makes my point. He had the bad game against Louisville 1/3 td/int. Then the next game 2/2 and against LSU 2/1 td/int....that's not going to the league good or anything but I don't think it's worse start in history bad. I've watched us have stretches of the QB not throwing any td's period and guys scared to throw the ball downfield. It's not kiehl Frazier bad. 

And like I said I agree some ints were horrible but not every single one and we're talking 6 ints here. I know I've watched stidham throw 3 that really pissed me off. The first one he threw against LSU was maybe the worst int I've ever seen in my life. Marshall made some questionable ones and he is like my second favorite QB for auburn ever. 

Johnson deserve criticism but I think alot he gets is exaggerated and excuses were made for the QB before him and after him that made some of the very same throws

Oh and I know we don't agree with this, I'm cool with that, there's no reason for us to be upset about not agreeing. I'm no different than you, just a dude that has his own opinions. I don't care about what other people have said about my on here, who knows what their issue may be I'm not attacking anybody I just feel like I know what I'm talking about on this particular subject. You're still my guy

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I still think it was the oline and run game. This is during the roc Thomas ordeal and the Duke Williams crap. The o line didn't start being able to hold a block until after the LSU game. Even our stud full back. We'd waste a half trying to make roc Thomas run up the middle instead of using him properly and barber was getting hit at the line but he was dragging people and bout time we were feeding him it was to hold on

Now he definitely threw some bad picks but I feel like your post sort of makes my point. He had the bad game against Louisville 1/3 td/int. Then the next game 2/2 and against LSU 2/1 td/int....that's not going to the league good or anything but I don't think it's worse start in history bad. I've watched us have stretches of the QB not throwing any td's period and guys scared to throw the ball downfield. It's not kiehl Frazier bad. 

And like I said I agree some ints were horrible but not every single one and we're talking 6 ints here. I know I've watched stidham throw 3 that really pissed me off. The first one he threw against LSU was maybe the worst int I've ever seen in my life. Marshall made some questionable ones and he is like my second favorite QB for auburn ever. 

Johnson deserve criticism but I think alot he gets is exaggerated and excuses were made for the QB before him and after him that made some of the very same throws

Not worst start in history, but statistically speaking, he did have the worst start of any SEC QB in 10 years or something like that. I don't remember the year exactly but some sports statistician posted it at the time it happened. 

Just have to agree to disagree on other QBs making throws as bad as his. Certainly not as many in such a short time. 

I do think it's possible that JJ could have been as good as we thought he was going to be under different circumstances. And it really pisses me off when people try to question his courage. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not worst start in history, but statistically speaking, he did have the worst start of any SEC QB in 10 years or something like that. I don't remember the year exactly but some sports statistician posted it at the time it happened. 

Just have to agree to disagree on other QBs making throws as bad as his. Certainly not as many in such a short time. 

I think part of JJs initial struggles weren’t his ability to see the field, but him predetermining his direction presnap. Dude wasn’t afraid to throw a ball that’s for sure. As the season went on and he has to take back over for White, the offense began to progressively take less downfield shots and became more focused on running the ball. 

I still think part of 2016 Clemson QB deal was an attempt to put JJ on the field without the pressure of starting or feeling like he had to do everything. I think he made some good throws before throwing that red zone pick too. 

3 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I think part of JJs initial struggles weren’t his ability to see the field, but him predetermining his direction presnap. Dude wasn’t afraid to throw a ball that’s for sure. As the season went on and he has to take back over for White, the offense began to progressively take less downfield shots and became more focused on running the ball. 

I still think part of 2016 Clemson QB deal was an attempt to put JJ on the field without the pressure of starting or feeling like he had to do everything. I think he made some good throws before throwing that red zone pick too. 

You might have a point. A couple of those throws really did look like he was going to throw it to a spot and he didn't really care what was between him and where he was throwing the ball. The picks in the Louisville clip above certainly fit the bill. Whatever it was, he made several truly unacceptable and costly mistakes in a short period of time.

As for the 2016 Clemson embarrassment, my take is that Gus knew he didn't have a QB other than Sean White, but he didn't want to start Sean because the off-field issues had already surfaced big time by then. And I really think that was compounded by Gus still being scarred by all the player issues in 2015. We can never talk enough about starting that season with Jeremy Johnson, Duke Williams, Jovon Robinson and Roc Thomas- just look at that list!- and just how short they all came up. That would do a number on even a seasoned coach, I think. And then there was the issue of Gus being just straight up scared of Clemson. He was scared that year and he was scared the next year, too. (Just like he was scared to try to make plays in the 2nd half against LSU in 2017 and again at the end of the first half of this most recent IB.)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Stidham throw last year....I don't know how it could be worse. Safety has already been killing it in the short season he waits the snap count and sprints up....you hike the ball while staring at the defensive back the entire time and throw it directly to him the first play us having the ball on their 20....didn't try to audible, didn't try to fake, didn't look for another read.....literally this is the play that's called the person I'm going to throw to and I be damned if I care about anything else lol

And 5 td to 6 int.....I don't think is that bad. And one td was called back. I guess teams usually playing cupcakes is why that can be the worst start if true. The QB that replaced him was 1td and 4 int. Bad but to me not anymore worse than the other bad QB 's

Archived