2019 Grad Transfer WR Zach Farrar Commits to AU!

GwillMac6

8 minutes ago, autan said:

Welcome to the family Zack!!. Wish I could be more excited about your commitment. I'm not sure there are enough pass play snaps in  our 2019 arsenal to keep our current WRs happy.  Like many of our fans I was hoping to pick up a 6'-6" 320 lb 4* grad transfer OT with two years left to play. Too much to ask for I reckon. Now the question is will we go after a DT or DB or maybe even a QB next.

Not many of those out there...and we really need young OL, not grad transfers. We should be good on the line for this year, at least.

• Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Not many of those out there...and we really need young OL, not grad transfers. We should be good on the line for this year, at least.

Yeah as long as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens to Tega or Driscoll we will be fine. Let one of them go down... Then lets talk about how good we are for this year.

Edited by Auburn2Eugene
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah as long as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens to Tega or Driscoll we will be fine. Let one of them go down... Then lets talk about how good we are for this year.

Not many grad transfers are going to come to Auburn to be a backup, even if they do have two years of eligibility left.

And yea! ANOTHER WR! We sure needed someone there. Its not like we have recruited better at WR then just about any position over the last few years... Oh wait... 

This is just an underwhelming announcement...AT BEST.

Edited by Auburn2Eugene

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Not many grad transfers are going to come to Auburn to be a backup, even if they do have two years of eligibility left.

I dont disagree with that at all. Im just saying that we are one injury away from being worse on the OL than last season... 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

I dont disagree with that at all. Im just saying that we are one injury away from being worse on the OL than last season... 

Probably, but it's not impossible that the light finally comes on for Prince Sammons.

We don't need "grad" transfers necessarily but we will need game ready guys for 2020. So pretty much every other variety of transfer could be desirable.

We need and could still land ready eligible transfer O linemen but understanding what we have and dont have at wr, taking this guy's easy to understand IMO. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Probably, but it's not impossible that the light finally comes on for Prince Sammons.

Sammons might be hanging it up sooner than some anticipate. Just FYI, he was already convinced not to last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

We have all these wr's and they're all supposed to be good, sooner or later some wr's in high school are going to say they have too many guys I'm not going to see the field here until I'm a redshirt junior, I'm going to go to this school where I can play as a redshirt freshman.

That is a legit concern in general but does not apply to ZF. He's eligible as soon as he graduates from YSU & enrolls that AU. He will play this season. That means if he indeed is one & done he will be gone before any current high school WR recruits even get to AU. If he stays his full 2 years there is only 1 year overlap with him & any 2020 WR recruits. Recruits rarely make a decision based on a player having 1 year of eligibility left.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Do you think this guy is good? 

No clue. I rarely watch film anymore. I just know Gus does not feel he has a WR on roster right now that can be a big physical outside WR in 2019. We knew something like this was coming when we went hard after La'Michael Pettway at some point.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Not many grad transfers are going to come to Auburn anywhere to be a backup, even if they do have two years of eligibility left.

FIFY

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We don't need "grad" transfers necessarily but we will need game ready guys for 2020. So pretty much every other variety of transfer could be desirable.

He's hoping to be gone before 2020 FWIW.

Also we don't have as many WRs as I think some believe. After 2019 we will have 7-8. 8 is a solid number but not staggeringly high & 7 is a bit on the low end depth number stand point wise.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Good to see you back posting in the recruiting section!

Just making a pit stop. Not really posting again.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

After Slayton went pro Gus made up his mind immediately to bring in someone that would handle the big physical receiver roll even if that wasn’t Slayton’s true role. Gus is bound and determined to have another Duke Williams in terms of what can be brought on the field. That’s why he’s been looking so hard at grad transfer wide receivers.  He feels we don’t have anyone on roster who can do that role in the immediate season. 

As for the why so many schools question I don’t understand what you were asking.

So we're gonna get that from a guy that couldn't make it at OK and played at Youngstown St.....Aight bro. Seth can't be a Duke type WR?...Aight bro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Auburn does need a DB after true freshman Cam'Ron Kelly transferred to UNC. 

Don't be surprised if this guy gets moved to DB...

Only jokes....I hope this guy makes us look goofy and goes off.

War Eagle to this guy and I hope he balls out! Can’t hurt to have that size in the red zone and if it helps our young QBs I’m all for it.

Agreed with a lot of posters about wanting other positions but the question has been answered that Gus felt he was filling a hole. Maybe we’ll get some more JUCO OL and Grad Transfer OL next year as a stop-gap solution but we can groan about that in the 2020 recruitment thread.

12 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Auburn will be his fourth college in four years. It certainly seems like he transferred from Oklahoma because he realized he wasn't going to get any spotlight there, went to JUCO, then apparently didn't have any suitors in the FBS ranks so he went to an FCS school hoping a big school would get interested. To be completely honest, this seems like a kinda desperate move by Malzahn.

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/junior-colleges/article166591862.html

My dream isn’t going to stop,’ says former Oklahoma receiver playing for MGCCC

Watch Torrance Gibson’s 1st practice back at quarterback

Former Ohio State Buckeye Torrance Gibson was back behind center Monday as Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College opened fall camp ahead of the 2017 junior college football season. By McClatchy

Perkinston

It’s somewhat ironic that Zach Farrar has found his way to Mississippi.

As a dual-sport standout at Southlake (Texas) Carroll, Farrar had a number of schools after him before he verbally committed to Mississippi State.

About three before signing day, the 6-foot-3, 209-pound receiver had a change of heart and signed with Oklahoma.

But things didn’t work out there. After redshirting in 2016, Farrar announced in May his decision to transfer. About a month later, he arrived at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

Farrar pointed to his love of baseball when asked why he left the Sooners. It was his first sport growing up and, to be honest, he was pretty darn good at it; good enough to be a 26th round selection by the Chicago White Sox in the 2016 MLB Draft.

“My biggest thing was the opportunity to play baseball and football. When I was transferring from Oklahoma, one of the main reasons was because they took me out of baseball,” Farrar said Monday morning after MGCCC’s first fall practice. “The main reason I went to college was to play both sports and I’m not going to stop that. My dream isn’t going to stop. When I transferred I thought I’d have to sit out another year for football as well as for baseball.

“With this, I can play (football) my redshirt freshman year and then have three years of eligibility left for baseball.”

Former Mississippi State commit discusses transferring to Gulf Coast from Oklahoma

Former Mississippi State commit Zach Farrar has transferred from Oklahoma to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. A former MLB Draft selection, Farrar is looking to play baseball and football at his next stop.

By McClatchy

At Gulf Coast

Farrar has been in Mississippi for over a month, but he admitted it’s taking a while to get used to the combination of heat and humidity.

“The first day of practice and all I could think about was this Mississippi heat. I had to get acclimated from where I was in Texas and Oklahoma last year,” he said. “It got to me a little but I had to push through.

“... I’m in shape but this heat is something else.”

Gulf Coast graduated the bulk of its receiving yardage from a year ago, so Farrar should be a go-to target for whoever takes a stranglehold on the quarterback position, whether it’s incumbent Larry Sisson or Ohio State/Cincinnati transfer Torrance Gibson.

Farrar said he’s already started to build connections with both QBs.

“I started to get close with Larry. We’ve been hanging out off campus and stuff. He’s a cool guy,” he said. “Torrance is just a baller. At 6-5, he’s a big guy who came from Ohio State so he knows how to play the game and what college football is all about.”

What about MSU?

Does transferring to the Magnolia State help MSU with its former commit?

“(Receivers) coach (Billy) Gonzalez stayed in touch with me. He’s a good guy,” Farrar said. “I’m just going to see what happens on the recruiting trail.”

Regarding his recruitment, Farrar said he’s in no rush to make a decision.

“If everything goes to my plan, I plan on being out of here in six months, going to the school of my choice,” he said. “I don’t really have a preference right now. Just taking it day for day.”

One thing is for certain: Baseball will be in Farrar's future.

“That dream is never going to die,” he said. “I’m still going to play both sports.”

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College wide receiver Zach Farrar makes a catch during practice on Monday.

1 of 5

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College wide receiver Zach Farrar makes a catch during practice on Monday. Amanda McCoy amccoy@sunherald.com

GALLERY

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

There goes McClain smh

Possibly, but McClain has had plenty of time and more to earn a starting position and accomplish something at Auburn. If he hasn't done it by now I don't see it happening for him. He may be better off at a smaller school.

• Like 3

I wish we would stop pigeon holing our offensive talent.  That is how you come up with decisions like this and have unprepared athletes for the nfl.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Glad to have this kid . Glad he joined . Can he gain 100 pounds to play guard ?? J/k 

Bo and Gatewood I’m sure are excited about this target . 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The first day of practice and all I could think about was this Mississippi heat. I had to get acclimated from where I was in Texas and Oklahoma last year,” he said. “It got to me a little but I had to push through.

“... I’m in shape but this heat is something else.”

Yep. People in Texas have it made. Such a walk in the park.