Calling states like Alabama “pro life” is a sad joke

TexasTiger

The government and most of the voters could not care less about protecting life. They don’t care about folks after they’re born and don’t care about the lives in their care.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/us/alabama-prisons-doj-investigation.amp.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I've heard from people that are anti-abortion and also favor the death penalty is that the criminals earned their punishment, the unborn haven't done anything wrong. Me, I don't have a dog in this fight and don't think about the subject very much.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What I've heard from people that are anti-abortion and also favor the death penalty is that the criminals earned their punishment, the unborn haven't done anything wrong. Me, I don't have a dog in this fight and don't think about the subject very much.

Valuing life means more than allowing birth.

States with the worst anti-abortion laws also have the worst infant mortality rates

Alabama is one of two states, with Georgia, that enacted new abortion restrictions over the last week. Their records on maternal and infant health are shameful.

Alabama is tied for fourth-worst place in infant mortality, with a rate of 7.4 deaths per 1,000 live births. Georgia, with a rate of 7.2, is tied for seventh-worst.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-anti-abortion-infant-mortality-20190515-story.html

27 minutes ago, homersapien said:

States with the worst anti-abortion laws also have the worst infant mortality rates

Alabama is one of two states, with Georgia, that enacted new abortion restrictions over the last week. Their records on maternal and infant health are shameful.

Alabama is tied for fourth-worst place in infant mortality, with a rate of 7.4 deaths per 1,000 live births. Georgia, with a rate of 7.2, is tied for seventh-worst.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-anti-abortion-infant-mortality-20190515-story.html

Let’s make that a priority. But they won’t. Total frauds.

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Valuing life means more than allowing birth.

Does diallowing birth value life?

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The government and most of the voters could not care less about protecting life. They don’t care about folks after they’re born and don’t care about the lives in their care.

Assuming you are encompassing the nation with your statement Tex. Not singling out Alabama regarding prisons are you? Understand that it is horrific as it it elsewhere.

http://www.arrestrecords.com/the-28-most-dangerous-prisons-in-america/

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Assuming you are encompassing the nation with your statement Tex. Not singling out Alabama regarding prisons are you? Understand that it is horrific as it it elsewhere.

http://www.arrestrecords.com/the-28-most-dangerous-prisons-in-america/

It’s bad other places. Alabama is one of the worst.

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

It’s bad other places. Alabama is one of the worst.

Bad in other places? From what I understand it is living hell everywhere. Granted DOJ chose to investigate Alabama for whatever reason. No need to tell you but Barry was upset with all of the places. You did not answer the question I asked.

Perhaps being opportunistic are you not?

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Bad in other places? From what I understand it is living hell everywhere. Granted DOJ chose to investigate Alabama for whatever reason. No need to tell you but Barry was upset with all of the places. You did not answer the question I asked.

Perhaps being opportunistic are you not?

Instead of reflexive defensiveness, read what they found.

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Instead of reflexive defensiveness, read what they found.

I read what they found. It is horrible. 

Then I asked you a question.

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I read what they found. It is horrible. 

Then I asked you a question.

I think many states don’t value life that claim to. 

Alabama...where you start a war over morally reprehensible crap, and lose in spectacular fashion. 

People who wave their bibles in your face, scream about "pro-life" and "No Sharia Law", yet do everything they can to force their own views upon everyone else. Even telling God that you will see it our way, or else.

Thank God I got to move away in 1988.

This could be a simple issue if either side really cared about the principles of liberty. 

What is the responsibility of those who conceived the baby?  Contraception?

What about those who support post-birth abortion? Murder or not?

it would be helpful if more folks learned a little bit of science. i am sorry but life does not begin with a heartbeat. if so why are folks that are brain dead are allowed to die even tho their heart is still beating?they pull the plug on folks with heartbeats hundreds of times a day i would imagine. and that ectopic pregnancy being removed and put in the womb has not happened yet and so far cannot be done. i understand some people are following their heart but they need to learn the facts. and president with his bullsh*t comments certainly do not help. and we also do very little to help those babies once they are born.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:31 AM, TexasTiger said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/us/alabama-prisons-doj-investigation.amp.html

But that's a false dichotomy -- the condition of any state's prison system is not related to that state's abortion law.  I noticed the article which you linked is from the NY Times.  Google the conditions at Rikers Island and I'm sure you'll recognize strikingly similar conditions to the AL prisons.  Also, depending on who you're talking to in the whole abortion debate, the 'pro-life' label could just as easily be referred to as 'anti-choice.'  It's merely semantics.  

6 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

But that's a false dichotomy -- the condition of any state's prison system is not related to that state's abortion law.  I noticed the article which you linked is from the NY Times.  Google the conditions at Rikers Island and I'm sure you'll recognize strikingly similar conditions to the AL prisons.  Also, depending on who you're talking to in the whole abortion debate, the 'pro-life' label could just as easily be referred to as 'anti-choice.'  It's merely semantics.  

Is NY considered a pro-life state?

22 hours ago, AFTiger said:

What about those who support post-birth abortion? Murder or not?

Clearly it's murder. Post-birth abortion is merely a term that's in use as a convenience because "murder" wouldn't be acceptable. The term "post birth abortion" is itself absurd. If it's post-birth, it cannot be an abortion by definition.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Is NY considered a pro-life state?

WRT to abortion, NY has the least restrictive law while AL has the most restrictive law in the country.  Label NY 'pro-choice' & AL 'pro-life.'  

WRT to prison reform, both states need to address the appalling conditions present in their state prison systems.  Label them both 'lacking' in their respective efforts.  Recognize that new prisons & staffing takes money, and any funding put toward reforms will take away from state budgets to do anything else.  In this, NY & AL (and other states) are facing the exact same dilemma.  

9 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

WRT to abortion, NY has the least restrictive law while AL has the most restrictive law in the country.  Label NY 'pro-choice' & AL 'pro-life.'  

WRT to prison reform, both states need to address the appalling conditions present in their state prison systems.  Label them both 'lacking' in their respective efforts.  Recognize that new prisons & staffing takes money, and any funding put toward reforms will take away from state budgets to do anything else.  In this, NY & AL (and other states) are facing the exact same dilemma.  

My point is pro-life encompasses more than mandating birth. Alabama’s infant mortality gets little to no attention from most anti-abortion forces.

Archived