Stephen Davis Highlights

StatTiger

Stephen Davis is perhaps the most underutilized “established player” in the history of Auburn football. He was the #1 rated high school player coming out of South Carolina, drawing comparisons to Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson. His size and speed was the reasoning for the comparison to the prior All-Americans and winners of the Heisman Trophy. He was the backup to James Bostic during the 1993 season and became a two-year starter to finish out his collegiate career.

1994 was a good year for the big back, but his senior saw his role limited as Coach Terry Bowden was transitioning his offense to more of a 4-WR offense in the shotgun. He had less than 200 carries during 1995 but still managed to score 17 touchdowns and rush for over 1000-yards. It would have been interesting to see Davis playing under Pat Dye, who signed Davis to attend Auburn. I imagine he would have been extremely productive under Tuberville, Chizik, and Malzahn.

He made the most of his opportunity at Auburn and was later drafted in the 4th round by the Washington Redskins. He finished an 11-year NFL career with over 8000 yards rushing, becoming the most successful running back from Auburn, regarding his productivity on the field as a Pro. It was nearly 25 years ago that Davis graced the field at Auburn. For those who did not see him play at Auburn, I hope this video does him justice.

https://youtu.be/-t24J_43yHw

once again thanx for all you do. i saw this on youtube the other night. you gonna be a big star...........

I was not a huge fan back then. Can’t argue the numbers or the nfl success. He had excellent vision as the highlight shows. If he had a crease he could see it and maneuver through it. But on 3 rd and 2 when you need a bulldozer or a quit smash into the hole his style looked defeated.  To those who didn’t watch him live(seeing all his carries) this video is probably on par with Bo Jackson. 

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

I was not a huge fan back then. Can’t argue the numbers or the nfl success. He had excellent vision as the highlight shows. If he had a crease he could see it and maneuver through it. But on 3 rd and 2 when you need a bulldozer or a quit smash into the hole his style looked defeated.  To those who didn’t watch him live(seeing all his carries) this video is probably on par with Bo Jackson. 

Agree. Ran straight up and down and was susceptible to ankle tackles. Basically the exact opposite of Tre Mason. But that's the only negative I've got. A damned good back by any measure and a great guy as far as I know. I'll always be thankful he came to Auburn. 

great vision and footwork, very quick the hole, but not overly physical and didn't attack tacklers leaving himself vulnerable...probably why he had a decent NFL career length as RB1.

Criminally underutilized his senior year, IMO ( heck, really his whole career). That size and speed......next thing you knew we had Markeith Cooper, lol

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Criminally underutilized his senior year, IMO ( heck, really his whole career). That size and speed......next thing you knew we had Markeith Cooper, lol

After Davis we had a bad run of RBs. 

11 hours ago, alexava said:

I saw every one of his carries and was a fan. I never thought he was in the same league as Bo or Herschel but how many have been? Marcus Dupree perhaps. 

Stephen was a very good player and he made the most of his opportunities on the field. He did not reach his full potential until a few years in the NFL. Had he been more serious about conditioning while in college, he likely would have been faster. 

With that being said, he was very good for Auburn and his numbers would have been better had he been a consistent 20-25 carries back.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Tot trying to find the next Warrick Dunn like Daddy just killed us, smh 

58 minutes ago, fredst said:

Tot trying to find the next Warrick Dunn like Daddy just killed us, smh 

During Bowden’s time at Auburn, not one of his RB’s signed ever rushed for over 500 yards in one season. 

Man i remember his last season... I always felt Like tater tot would run him half the game and sit him the 2nd half of games... 

I always hated Bowden even after 93 because of how he played (or didn't play) Davis... I still to this day swear he cost Auburn another Heisman with how he managed Davis his last season. 

He ran over me in a preseason jamboree one year in high school. I got him back later but here’s the thing.....he was a frosh and I was a senior. 

Spurrier agreed with me. He traded him as soon as he got to Washington. He didn’t like his running style either. Dumped DCraig too. 

I’ll  never forget that espn clip at practice when Westbrook beat the bejesus out of him. 

36 minutes ago, alexava said:

Spurrier agreed with me. He traded him as soon as he got to Washington. He didn’t like his running style either. Dumped DCraig too. 

I’ll  never forget that espn clip at practice when Westbrook beat the bejesus out of him. 

Nah, Spurrier was still ticked off about us (with Davis a key player) whipping that a** in “The Swamp” in ‘94, lol

43 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Bozo Bowden cost us the game against Penn State. We were running all over them but he wanted to throw the ball in the rain.

Davis went out with a concussion in that one, didn’t he?

17 hours ago, homersapien said:

Some pretty good blocking in those plays.

So true..........one of the best offensive lines in college football.....solid tight tight end play........very balanced team on both sides of the ball.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Broke his nose or jaw if I remeber correctly.

I recall that it was a common complaint (including from SD) that he was being underutilized.   He was a big back for his day and just watching the videoclips, he appeared to be able to deliver a lick....and hit a hole quickly.....

I'm not sure but seems that he upright style was more common back then....thinking back to how Bo and Hershel ran the ball. ....don't recall it to be as common to lower the head at point of attack....which might have helped in seeing and hitting the openings. 

13 hours ago, alexava said:

If I remember correctly Fred Beasley had a nice career in NFL despite being under utilized........Harold Morrow as well.......pretty sure Morrow was a tot recruit.........Auburn had decent backs that were under utilized with little or no depth....Kevin McLeoud..........doing by memory and google search may proove me wrong.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I recall that it was a common complaint (including from SD) that he was being underutilized.   He was a big back for his day and just watching the videoclips, he appeared to be able to deliver a lick....and hit a hole quickly.....

I'm not sure but seems that he upright style was more common back then....thinking back to how Bo and Hershel ran the ball. ....don't recall it to be as common to lower the head at point of attack....which might have helped in seeing and hitting the openings. 

I thought he sprained his knee eary in his final season........just going by memory and my memory is comparable to lotus.......dang near useless.

Archived