2021 4* RB Armoni Goodwin (LSU)

cole256

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Per JOX he will be evaluated tomorrow but will likely miss the Hoover game next week. Hoover also had a major injury. QB Robbie Ashford fractured his ankle and will miss at least a month. 

Well that’s disappointing. I was hoping to see these two go at it full bore.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, jared52 said:

Well that’s disappointing. I was hoping to see these two go at it full bore.

As long as both are back before the playoffs they can very well meet in the playoffs given how strong that region is related to the other region on the north side of the state.

AG suffered 2 knee ligament tears...

Auburn commit sustains significant knee injury

By Keith Niebuhr
9374411.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Armoni Goodwin, Auburn running back commit. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

Armoni Goodwin, Auburn’s dynamic 4-star 2021 running back commit from Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.), will be out an extended period of time after sustaining a serious knee injury.

According to Goodwin, he tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee in last week's game. He said he is scheduled to have surgery next week.

Goodwin was off to a fantastic start to the season. In three games played, he already had rushed for 485 yards and 10 touchdowns on 52 carries. That's an average of 9.3 yards per rush. That comes after he produced more than 1,300 rushing yards in 2018.

Goodwin, the No. 3 running back and No. 59 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, is Auburn's highest-rated 2021 commit. He gave his verbal to the Tigers on May 22.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Goodwin was off to a fantastic start to the season. In three games played, he already had rushed for 485 yards and 10 touchdowns on 52 carries. That's an average of 9.3 yards per rush. That comes after he produced more than 1,300 rushing yards in 2018

Those are some big numbers!!

RATZ! Modern medical techniques have a high success rate with these things, but getting a knee injury is never good. How the athlete will recover and respond isn't a guaranteed success.

Dang that sucks. It's good that Cadillac is his recruiter.. If anyone knows anything about overcoming and dealing with injuries, it's him. I hope he can get better and come back faster and better in two years as a freshman at Auburn. 

It was such a fluke thing and I wish he’d never have left his feet but he was having so much success that night jumping to avoid tackles. I hate this because he is really something to watch. 

• 6 months later...

He’s so explosive:’ Auburn RB commit Armoni Goodwin eyeing big senior year

By Ben Thomas | bthomas@al.com

Hewitt-Trussville coach Josh Floyd calls Armoni Goodwin “the most explosive back I’ve ever coached.”

The 5-foot-8, 190-pound longtime Auburn commit missed most of the 2019 season after suffering a knee injury in Week 3. However, Floyd said Goodwin is closing in on 100 percent now.

“He’s getting there,” Floyd said. “He is still getting used to his side-to-side and lateral movement. Some of that will be as much mental confidence as physical ability. He’s been running with us the last three or four weeks until the (coronavirus) break. He’s looking good.”

Floyd said he expected Goodwin to be cleared for spring practice, though that, of course, is up in the air with schools closed for the pandemic. Goodwin told AL.com on Monday that he is about “85 percent” healthy and is looking forward to returning to the field this fall.

“It’s all coming back,” he said. “I like where I’m headed. I’m still the fastest guy on the team.”

Goodwin committed to Auburn in May of 2019, becoming the Tigers’ first commitment for the Class of 2021. He followed a sensational freshman season at Florence with a 1,458-yard, 15-touchdown sophomore year at Hewitt-Trussville.

“He’s so explosive,” Floyd said. “He’s a guy who can take it the distance at any time. I think the big difference in him, though, is he is not just a speed guy. He also can be a power back. He has incredible balance, and he can make guys miss. He runs hard and finishes runs. He’s always getting a positive extra yard or two, falling forward. Those add up at the end of a game.”

The four-star prospect was off to another strong start as a junior when his team played Oak Mountain on Sept. 6. Then it happened.

“I jumped over somebody and, when I came down, something was wrong,” Goodwin said. “I had a burning pain in my knee. It wouldn’t stop hurting. I was trying to walk it off, and it kept wobbling. I knew something was up.”

Goodwin tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee. He junior season was done. He already had rushed for 485 yards and 10 TDs on just 52 carries.

“I was so mad,” he said. “I thought all my offers would go away.”

That hasn’t happened. Goodwin said he still talks to Auburn running backs coach Carnell Williams frequently, and LSU also recently offered him. He is currently the sixth-rated rising senior prospect in the state, according to the 247 composite rankings.

“He is definitely an SEC caliber guy,” Floyd said. “To have that guy who can score at any moment from anywhere on the field … there are just some things you can’t coach. There were times even during his brief time on the field last year where it looked like absolutely nothing was there and Armoni made one guy miss and went 50 yards before you knew it.

“He is one of those rare guys where everything doesn’t have to be blocked perfectly for him to make a big play. That’s big because even in the SEC, when you are playing teams like Florida and LSU and Alabama, everything can’t always be blocked just right. He is still a guy who can do something special even if it looks like it’s not possible.”

Goodwin said he is working out with his trainer three days a week while the school is out on the coronavirus break. His goal for this fall is the same as it was before his junior season was cut short.

“I want to rush for 2,000 yards,” he said. “That’s what I’m aiming for again.”

I hope Trussville's QB situation holds up this year. The injuries in the backfield were devastating for us. 

al.com

'Explosive' Auburn RB commit ready for big senior year

By Ben Thomas | bthomas@al.com

Hewitt-Trussville vs. Oak Mountain football

Hewitt-Trussville's Armoni Goodwin dives for yardage against Oak Mountain at Heardmoint Park in Indian Springs Village, Ala., Friday, Sept. 6, 2019. (Mark Almond | preps@al.com)Mark Almond | preps@al.com

Hewitt-Trussville coach Josh Floyd calls Armoni Goodwin “the most explosive back I’ve ever coached.”

The 5-foot-8, 190-pound longtime Auburn commit missed most of the 2019 season after suffering a knee injury in Week 3. However, Floyd said Goodwin is closing in on 100 percent now.

“He’s getting there,” Floyd said. “He is still getting used to his side-to-side and lateral movement. Some of that will be as much mental confidence as physical ability. He’s been running with us the last three or four weeks until the (coronavirus) break. He’s looking good.”

RELATED: A look at the state’s top 2021 prospects

Floyd said he expected Goodwin to be cleared for spring practice, though that, of course, is up in the air with schools closed for the pandemic. Goodwin told AL.com on Monday that he is about “85 percent” healthy and is looking forward to returning to the field this fall.

“It’s all coming back,” he said. “I like where I’m headed. I’m still the fastest guy on the team.”

Goodwin committed to Auburn in May of 2019, becoming the Tigers’ first commitment for the Class of 2021. He followed a sensational freshman season at Florence with a 1,458-yard, 15-touchdown sophomore year at Hewitt-Trussville.

“He’s so explosive,” Floyd said. “He’s a guy who can take it the distance at any time. I think the big difference in him, though, is he is not just a speed guy. He also can be a power back. He has incredible balance, and he can make guys miss. He runs hard and finishes runs. He’s always getting a positive extra yard or two, falling forward. Those add up at the end of a game.”

The four-star prospect was off to another strong start as a junior when his team played Oak Mountain on Sept. 6. Then it happened.

“I jumped over somebody and, when I came down, something was wrong,” Goodwin said. “I had a burning pain in my knee. It wouldn’t stop hurting. I was trying to walk it off, and it kept wobbling. I knew something was up.”

Goodwin tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee. He junior season was done. He already had rushed for 485 yards and 10 TDs on just 52 carries.

“I was so mad,” he said. “I thought all my offers would go away.”

That hasn’t happened. Goodwin said he still talks to Auburn running backs coach Carnell Williams frequently, and LSU also recently offered him. He is currently the sixth-rated rising senior prospect in the state, according to the 247 composite rankings.

“He is definitely an SEC caliber guy,” Floyd said. “To have that guy who can score at any moment from anywhere on the field … there are just some things you can’t coach. There were times even during his brief time on the field last year where it looked like absolutely nothing was there and Armoni made one guy miss and went 50 yards before you knew it.

“He is one of those rare guys where everything doesn’t have to be blocked perfectly for him to make a big play. That’s big because even in the SEC, when you are playing teams like Florida and LSU and Alabama, everything can’t always be blocked just right. He is still a guy who can do something special even if it looks like it’s not possible.”

Goodwin said he is working out with his trainer three days a week while the school is out on the coronavirus break. His goal for this fall is the same as it was before his junior season was cut short.

“I want to rush for 2,000 yards,” he said. “That’s what I’m aiming for again.”

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Funny how 1" makes people not question height and therefore ability

Yep! The GOAT was 5’8.

image.gif

8 minutes ago, ALLINtheFamily said:

GOAT indeed

Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete to ever play football. And the greatest running back in SEC history.

Barry Sanders was better. 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:15 PM, AUDub said:

I hope Trussville's QB situation holds up this year. The injuries in the backfield were devastating for us. 

And still could have won every regular season game. If Armani had stayed healthy, they would have. 

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Funny how 1" makes people not question height and therefore ability

No offense to Worm, I love the kid and he’s now in the top 10 of favorite AU plays, but Armani is on another level with lateral movement. I’m sure in a foot race, Worm would win, but Armani’s cuts are other-worldly. He goes from full speed East-west to full speed north-south like VERY few RBs I’ve ever seen can. It’s my biggest concern with his injury and getting that confidence back. I hope he hasn’t lost a step or that uncanny ability to blow through a hole. 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Has anyone heard Malzan say how many RB's he wants to sign.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/168129-2021-recruiting-thread-updated-2320/?do=findComment&comment=3225985

On 4/3/2020 at 7:19 AM, ellitor said:

It's not a full list but here are some positional numbers Keith is hearing AU will take in the class

QB 1
RB 2
WR 2-3 (leaning 2)
TE 1
LB 1-2
S 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

He'll just ask again in a few weeks

And again, and again, and...again 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

He'll just ask again in a few weeks

13 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

And again, and again, and...again 

It's good you can still count on some things in this crazy, mixed up world. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve been seeing things about this too. Things change but it’s not looking good for us in regards to keeping him

13 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I’ve been seeing things about this too. Things change but it’s not looking good for us in regards to keeping him

He's not the only one. Major 4* RB target Lovasea Carroll posted the below tweet & Keith said AU finished 2nd to UGA when he committed there & could be a factor again...

Archived