Michigan Hires Juwan Howard.

GwillMac6

Former Fab 5 member is coming home. 

Is this a good hire?   

Another coach saying he will lead his team to championships in the Big10 and national championships....:)   

$2M for five years sounds like a bargain but expect it would be bumped up if he finds his way beyond the sweet 16 a time or two. 

hiring former players with NBA experience seems to be the hot new coaching craze. Penny doing work in recruiting at Memphis so worth a shot for michigan IMO

27 minutes ago, gravejd said:

hiring former players with NBA experience seems to be the hot new coaching craze. Penny doing work in recruiting at Memphis so worth a shot for michigan IMO

coaches going both ways recently.... went a long time without college coaches going to NBA and vice versa.....I'm thinking this is a "craze" as you say...might or might not work out.   JMO but college coaching is "teaching" and don't think NBA coaches gain that teaching experience to the same extent.   We will see....

I suspect he will be just as successful as Chris Mullen was at St John's.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, AU64 said:

Is this a good hire?   

Another coach saying he will lead his team to championships in the Big10 and national championships....:)   

$2M for five years sounds like a bargain but expect it would be bumped up if he finds his way beyond the sweet 16 a time or two. 

He has the resume to be aNBA coach. Michigan is lucky

On 5/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, AU64 said:

coaches going both ways recently.... went a long time without college coaches going to NBA and vice versa.....I'm thinking this is a "craze" as you say...might or might not work out.   JMO but college coaching is "teaching" and don't think NBA coaches gain that teaching experience to the same extent.   We will see....

There is a lot more teaching going on in the NBA than one thinks.  Teams keep drafting potential and not NBA ready players which means there is needed development.

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

He has the resume to be aNBA coach. Michigan is lucky

That could be.....but if so, why are NBA teams hiring college coaches and vice versa?  ......think everyone looking for a solution to their problems and hoping they get the right guy. 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That could be.....but if so, why are NBA teams hiring college coaches and vice versa?  ......think everyone looking for a solution to their problems and hoping they get the right guy. 

Well it's still a problem as far as African American coaches getting chances in the league. That's my point in the other thread as far as the set up we have right now works.....I mean Luke Walton is holding one of those coveted spots coaching......doesn't deserve it but you have Howard and Mark Jackson and tyronne lue who doesn't even get to interview. 

You have guys like Fred hoiberg who was a decent college player, was given an opportunity to play in the NBA and he wasn't good, able to coach and he wasn't good, able to GM and he wasn't good and back to coaching again. 

You have pelinka who was a bench player when Howard played, an agent, and he somehow gets to be a GM and even undermine a top 5 player EVER. HALL OF FAME ICON.....a guy who couldn't even start......system is screwed

There is still the facade that white people can think and black people can't.....

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well it's still a problem as far as African American coaches getting chances in the league. That's my point in the other thread as far as the set up we have right now works.....I mean Luke Walton is holding one of those coveted spots coaching......doesn't deserve it but you have Howard and Mark Jackson and tyronne lue who doesn't even get to interview. 

You have guys like Fred hoiberg who was a decent college player, was given an opportunity to play in the NBA and he wasn't good, able to coach and he wasn't good, able to GM and he wasn't good and back to coaching again. 

You have pelinka who was a bench player when Howard played, an agent, and he somehow gets to be a GM and even undermine a top 5 player EVER. HALL OF FAME ICON.....a guy who couldn't even start......system is screwed

There is still the facade that white people can think and black people can't.....

Thanks for saying this. Howard has a ton of experience under some very respectable coaches in the league. I have seen some serious questionable hires over my time. Glad to see him getting a well deserved chance.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

JMO but money is green.....and most GMS and ADs care about "green" .....more than anything else and hire accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but money is green.....and most GMS and ADs care about "green" .....more than anything else and hire accordingly. 

Just a coincidence that the NBA is 95% black and coaching is like 5% huh?  But yeah I believe it, many like to pretend these issues don't exist

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Just a coincidence that the NBA is 95% black and coaching is like 5% huh?  But yeah I believe it, many like to pretend these issues don't exist

Playing and coaching are not the same skill as we see in virtually every sport.     having mostly 19 to 27 year old players does not mean they are being prepared to coach. 

At least Howard has done the preparation to develop the skills.....but rather than look at the players in the NBA, how about take a look at what happens to them when their playing careers are over.  How many have their degrees, how many take coaching jobs at craps salaries at small schools to learn how to teach the game, etc.  etc.  ?   Could be that after playing in the NBA for five or six years at a couple million plus a year, they have no interest in coaching at a Div II school for 30K per year.  

Goodness gracious. Cole is on a race fight this memorial day.

Kind of a weird hire imo. Michigan has been a really successful program. I expected them to hire someone with some actual COLLEGE head coaching experience just to keep the ship rolling. But they're taking a gamble here for

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Playing and coaching are not the same skill as we see in virtually every sport.     having mostly 19 to 27 year old players does not mean they are being prepared to coach. 

At least Howard has done the preparation to develop the skills.....but rather than look at the players in the NBA, how about take a look at what happens to them when their playing careers are over.  How many have their degrees, how many take coaching jobs at craps salaries at small schools to learn how to teach the game, etc.  etc.  ?   Could be that after playing in the NBA for five or six years at a couple million plus a year, they have no interest in coaching at a Div II school for 30K per year.  

Well we should look at that path for everybody and see do all of them start at D2 level....Also no it's not the same skill set but you'd have to imagine someone starting that has been playing their entire life has more of a made knowledge than someone that didn't play at that level at all. 

But this is rampant through basketball and football but the game is made up of minorities but management is made up of white people. To pretend that this is odd, doesn't make sense, or is logical is laughable. 

White coaches get multiple jobs even after they aren't successful but a black coach can't get a job after being successful....it's a reflection of life really with these degrees.

I just gave you examples but ignored them....And believe it or not there are plenty of black athletes that get their degrees......like you said Howard has the resume and you still doubt him right? It's like if you're an athlete you can't do anything but play. Well that's what that fox news lady said though right? Shut up and play.

But if you give me 3 or 4 tries and hand me a playoff team then yeah I'll probably do better in that situation than just one chance with a trash team. 

19 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Goodness gracious. Cole is on a race fight this memorial day.

Kind of a weird hire imo. Michigan has been a really successful program. I expected them to hire someone with some actual COLLEGE head coaching experience just to keep the ship rolling. But they're taking a gamble here for

Yeah I actually care.....they're not livestock....But if the question is brought up about opportunity you'd be a clown to pretend that this variable doesn't exist.....Howard should be coaching a NBA team, Michigan is lucky to get someone of his pedigree

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Also no it's not the same skill set but you'd have to imagine someone starting that has been playing their entire life has more of a made knowledge than someone that didn't play at that level at all. 

Nope...your basic precept is false......you can look around and I think you will find that the vast majority of coaches at all sports barely played the sports they coach beyond some college perhaps...and generally were not stars.   And how many of the tens thousands of former major league baseball players or NFL players coach their sport at any level?   It could be that after playing a sport and getting paid a huge salary for a number of years that the idea of getting paid as a HS teacher to begin a coaching career is not that attractive...and even at the entry levels, there is the expectation that the incoming coach has basic teaching and coaching credentials and experience. 

JMO but I'm surprised that any former NBA player would want to coach HS or college basketball with all the BS they have to put up with from parents or fans. Plus if you watch enough football or basketball or baseball at professional levels it's pretty apparent that while they guys can play the game because of their physical abilities, a good number of them (white, black or whatever) don't really understand how to teach the game. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope...your basic precept is false......you can look around and I think you will find that the vast majority of coaches at all sports barely played the sports they coach beyond some college perhaps...and generally were not stars.   And how many of the tens thousands of former major league baseball players or NFL players coach their sport at any level?   It could be that after playing a sport and getting paid a huge salary for a number of years that the idea of getting paid as a HS teacher to begin a coaching career is not that attractive...and even at the entry levels, there is the expectation that the incoming coach has basic teaching and coaching credentials and experience. 

JMO but I'm surprised that any former NBA player would want to coach HS or college basketball with all the BS they have to put up with from parents or fans. Plus if you watch enough football or basketball or baseball at professional levels it's pretty apparent that while they guys can play the game because of their physical abilities, a good number of them (white, black or whatever) don't really understand how to teach the game. 

Yes I read when you said that the first time and it's still not right. But I'm curious what precept is false that you mentioned? 

And if you don't have any answer as far as the race disparity in the games that's denominated by the race that plays it just say yeah I don't know....as opposed trying to argue what you don't know

Archived