2020 3* OT Jeremiah Wright Commits to AU!

Zeek

Tennessee offered two days ago and we offered yesterday... seems like he's about to skyrocket from a NR recruit to at least a 3* pretty fast. At 6'5" 320 pounds he's at least got the frame for an OT. Sounds like he's rather excited about the offer. Hope we push hard and lock down his commitment.

Edited by ellitor

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

https://247sports.com/player/jeremiah-wright-46081400/

JeremiahWright.PNG

Tennessee offered two days ago and we offered yesterday... seems like he's about to skyrocket from a NR recruit to at least a 3* pretty fast. At 6'5" 320 pounds he's at least got the frame for an OT. Sounds like he's rather excited about the offer. Hope we push hard and lock down his commitment.

Imo we have to find at least 3 guys like this and cross our fingers that they all play out of their minds

• Like 7

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Imo we have to find at least 3 guys like this and cross our fingers that they all play out of their minds

I tend to agree. It doesn't seem like we're high on many highly touted Offensive Linemen lists right now. So trying to find unknowns like Wright before they blow up could be our best route.

Here is one I wish they would talk to.  Kid is a beast and I have been trying to get someone to see him.  Needs work.  Not first year starter, but perfect size and desire.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, cole256 said:

I agree.  I couldn’t “like” your post because I don’t like the reality we have with OT recruiting.   But I do agree that is where we are right now.  Hoping and praying we find 3-4 “diamonds in the rough” at the same position in the same class.    This is the recruiting equivalent of the “Miracle at Jordan Hare” directly followed by the Kick 6.  The good news is this kind of sheer dumb luck is only possible at Auburn!

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I agree.  I couldn’t “like” your post because I don’t like the reality we have with OT recruiting.   But I do agree that is where we are right now.  Hoping and praying we find 3-4 “diamonds in the rough” at the same position in the same class.    This is the recruiting equivalent of the “Miracle at Jordan Hare” directly followed by the Kick 6.  The good news is this kind of sheer dumb luck is only possible at Auburn!

If you are calling the Kick Six and Miracle dumb luck I disagree. I think they both showed incredible talent, planning and execution! War Eagle 🦅

Not sarcasm!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

If you are calling the Kick Six and Miracle dumb luck I disagree. I think they both showed incredible talent, planning and execution! War Eagle 🦅

Not sarcasm!

Kick 6 was a great play at the perfect time, and we caught the opposition off-guard, so I will give you that one.  It was the timing and the circumstances that made that such an amazing play!

Now, it is true that we never should have been in the position we were in for the Miracle at Jordan Hare.  We surrendered a huge lead and then the “TD” ahh hem, on 4th down was a gift.  But anyway.....that particular play was pure luck.  Marshall underthrew Louis who was in double coverage.  The two defenders collided as they were both going for the easy interception to end the game.   It just happened to bounce up in the air directly into the arms of a surprised Louis.   That’s the definition of dumb luck IMHO.   

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Not sarcasm!

So you think the "prayer" was good planning and execution?

What was the play call x-double-tip-post on 3? I do admit though, the way Ricardo executed the Trey Mathews tip was a thing of beauty!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Kick 6 was a great play at the perfect time, and we caught the opposition off-guard, so I will give you that one.  It was the timing and the circumstances that made that such an amazing play!

The timing, circumstances, and the stakes that were on the line are what made that play special. Have seen Devin Hester and others return many missed FGs for TDs otherwise. It’s probably considered rare but happens quite often if you watch the game long enough. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think for both games you had to plan and execute the game well enough for one play to win the game.  In other words you were playing well enough to be within 7 points before the game ended to win it.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What was the play call x-double-tip-post on 3? I do admit though, the way Ricardo executed the Trey Mathews tip was a thing of beauty!

Ricardo remembered to keep his eye on the ball at all times come in handy.........Remember Bret Becht pulling off similar td reception against Auburn.......I rember calling that a lucky catch🤣

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My point was the execution of the reception running full speed and catching a tipped ball and scoring! Most people who watch and play sports know how much concentration, and tip-skills from practice, it takes to do that! The throw into double coverage—eh, not so much!

Not to mention how hard I was praying 🙏 for it to happen! 😂 

Something I practice daily.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

My point was the execution of the reception running full speed and catching a tipped ball and scoring! Most people who watch and play sports know how much concentration, and tip-skills from practice, it takes to do that! The throw into double coverage—eh, not so much!

Not to mention how hard I was praying 🙏 for it to happen! 😂 

Something I practice daily.

as do I! (pray daily)

13 hours ago, Roos said:

Any word on Wright? did he have a good time or any news at all?

Every weekend attendee was covered in the post below. FWIW JW probably does not have a committable offer right now & likely has to earn it at a Summer camp....

Edited by ellitor

17 hours ago, toddc said:

Not sarcasm!

The Miracle wasn't dumb luck but it damn sure was a whole bunch of luck. The Kick-Six was one of the top "football" plays in history. That was some damn good football coaching.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Every weekend attendee was covered in the post below. FWIW JW probably does not have a committable offer right now & likely has to earn it at a Summer camp....

Grimes is on on a bunch of kids like this. Still after some of the bigger named ones but there are not enough of those to go around. Not a bad thing. Get some of these lesser coached kids with talent a chance for a offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Grimes is on on a bunch of kids like this. Still after some of the bigger named ones but there are not enough of those to go around. Not a bad thing. Get some of these lesser coached kids with talent a chance for a offer.

I'd prefer ones that can grow into their bodies than ones that have to be slimmed down. Right @auburnphan?

• Like 2

The Prayer was luck. Marshall has a cannon so that was necessary to get the ball downfield, but he misread the play. Everyone who has talked about it says so. He was supposed to go to Coates if UGA covered the skinny post, but he just slung it. Given who caught the ball and his history (during and after his Auburn career) of dropping passes, I'd say that play was luck. I love Ricardo, and he'd never pay for a drink with me in the room. But the guy can't catch a cold, and contrary to his claim, that had nothing to do with his coaches at Auburn.

In reality, the Prayer was the work of football gods. Murray didn't score. Period. The football gods just gave us what we'd actually earned.

As for Wright, I'm glad we've offered and shown interest. I'm glad we're still evaluating and asking him to prove himself at camp. I'm glad we're still in on a number of targets currently higher on our board (Zierer; Chris Morris - who appears to be a swing OG/OT type of guy; Dumervil; Issiah Walker; etc.). I don't think there is a rush to get Wright on-board so long as we're consistently communicating with him.

• Like 1

Sigh. Louis didn't say that Auburn didn't teach him how to catch. Jesus, let go of those sour grapes. He said that Auburn didn't prepare him by having him run versatile routes. Which is the exact same thing that Slayton said, and that Davis said, and that just about everyone who assesses Gus's offense- including at least one high school coach on this forum who would LOVE for his DBs to play against Gus's offense- says. Because it's true. 

• Thanks 1

Louis claimed that route running was a drag on his draft status, but he's wrong. It was his inability to catch that hurt his draft stock more than anything.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Louis claimed that route running was a drag on his draft status, but he's wrong. It was his inability to catch that hurt his draft stock more than anything.

Yep and Slayton has a catching problem too. I’m not saying they’re wrong about the routes but your main job is to catch the ball and they have a problem doing it. The Giants twitter page sometimes posts highlights from there practices and sometimes they show Slayton and in the comments it’s become a thing where they say “oh he actually caught it this time?” So maybe he’s had a few drops in practices too

Louis and all of the other wr's are right, route running and adjustments are severely lacking and when it's time to play big boy ball it holds you back

• Like 3