2020 4* OT Javion Cohen Has AU Offer Pulled! 12/11

Zeek

11 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I know we have fallen for this time after time. Bama and Ga. keep doing it to try and make us look bad on signing day. This kid just didn't hide it as well as some of the others. I know people make excuses for these kids because they are kids but they know what they are doing is wrong they are 18 not 10. Glad we pulled the offer. I would assume in the next day or two we will see who is pulling the strings this year.

The coaches &/or parents orchestrating it are just as wrong if not more so. In these situations it starts with adults & flows down from there.

30 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I'm sure Grimes has another one waiting in the wings to replace Cohen.... *sigh*...

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If only Gus would let him even try. *bigger sigh*

It's okay...

We....have...depth!

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

As much as I respect you E I am not believing that after we were getting an overflow 4 and 5 star recruits on the oline just a few years ago that CGM would handcuff our oline coach from recruiting quality HS olinemen. That just don't make sense.

We have never gotten an overflow of 4/5* OL in any class in Gus' HC tenure. The 1 year we had an adequate amount was when Hand was here. He's a much better closer than JB. If you don't believe me on this then believe WDE. The info came from him & as we know he is very well connected.

• Like 1

So WDE said that Gus is intentionally NOT allowing our  OL coach to go after or sign quality O linemen? I must have missed that. 
And here I have been blaming HH and JBG for years (and Gus for hiring them). 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Gus is intentionally NOT allowing our  OL coach to go after or sign quality O linemen

This is hard for me to comprehend as well. O-Line is one of the more difficult positions to develop. Why would Gus not heavily recruit all the 4-5 star OL, rather than evaluate lesser known recruits in hopes they'd fit his offense?

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The coaches &/or parents orchestrating it are just as wrong if not more so. In these situations it starts with adults & flows down from there.

Totally agree!!!

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If only Gus would let him even try. *bigger sigh*

Hold up, WDE told us a few years ago (2015/2016) that Gus evaluated the olinemen and HE chose who he wanted to recruit. But since then this board was all but assured that Gus had stopped that practice and was actually letting Grimes evaluate and choose his own recruits.

So which is it now?  Is Gus still bulldozing Grimes or not?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

So WDE said that Gus is intentionally NOT allowing our  OL coach to go after or sign quality O linemen? I must have missed that. 
And here I have been blaming HH and JBG for years (and Gus for hiring them). 

@gr82b4au You have missed quite a bit then. WDE posted things a few times & I have repeated it 10s of times now. As consistent of a member you are I can't believe you had not read it yet. What WDE has said is Gus has & has had complete control over all things OL recruiting. He used his own evals & never let his OLCs have input on evals or even who to go after. The only person that had any input was Horton when he was here. The only recruiting job of the OLCs is develop relationships & close on the few guys each year Gus wanted. This year is slightly different in that Gus was willing to take more OL & Dilly was the closer. Also Gus did recruit the 4/5*s but when we missed on them he wouldn't take or consider any plan Bs thus why we have past classes of only 1-3 high school OL in them.

35 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I will FOREVER be salty about Pickens. 

If the rumors about his grades are true, we may have dodged a huge bullet with Pickens.  Talent will only do so much for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Hold up, WDE told us a few years ago (2015/2016) that Gus evaluated the olinemen and HE chose who he wanted to recruit. But since then this board was all but assured that Gus had stopped that practice and was actually letting Grimes evaluate and choose his own recruits.

So which is it now?  Is Gus still bulldozing Grimes or not?

You going to have to show me proof. I follow WDE & read everything he posts & never seen him say that had changed, especially from 3 or 4 years ago. If there has been any change it's been this year only.

17 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

This is hard for me to comprehend as well. O-Line is one of the more difficult positions to develop. Why would Gus not heavily recruit all the 4-5 star OL, rather than evaluate lesser known recruits in hopes they'd fit his offense?

He misinterpretted my post FTR. Gus did recruit the 4/5*s but when we missed on them he wouldn't take or consider any plan Bs thus why we have past classes of only 1-3 high school OL in them.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If the rumors about his grades are true, we may have dodged a huge bullet with Pickens.  Talent will only do so much for you.

What rumors? You can DM me so we don’t derail the thread - sorry E! 

He is talented,  but watching him and the GT player get into it...he would have been such a distraction in our locker room. 

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He was good to make it academically into AU FTR. It's his behavior we may have dodged the bullet on.

• Like 3

I read it that we have someone else we want who will commit,  and we have to yank Cohen's scholly offer to have a committable scholarship available.  Oddly enough, it might make Bama want him a little less, knowing they won't be taking him away from us.  Let's hope karma strikes on signing day.  And I agree, the adults around this kid aren't doing him any favors.  You can't hold a scholarship forever for a kid who won't really commit.

2 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

What rumors? You can DM me so we don’t derail the thread - sorry E! 

He is talented,  but watching him and the GT player get into it...he would have been such a distraction in our locker room. 

Brad is talking about George's grade struggles. That had been well documented in his thread but the kid pulled through on that part.

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

we have to yank Cohen's scholly offer to have a committable scholarship

This is incorrect. We are taking Flax to replace Buskey due to grades & because Big Z won't be ready til the Fall. We would have taken both Flax & Cohen had Cohen not play his games.

Lets just go sign Broderick Jones and rewrite a ton of narratives by doing so. Sound good, cool. LFG! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

His self control will cause him to implode if he doesn't make some changes.  Reminds me of M Dyer.

Will the numbers allow us to take Busky in some form?  

Gray shirt?

take and redshirt?

14 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

Lets just go sign Broderick Jones and rewrite a ton of narratives by doing so. Sound good, cool. LFG! 

I'm with you...

I wish we would recruit Houston. Bama has two stud OT from here in this class

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm with you...

I wish we would recruit Houston. Bama has two stud OT from here in this class

That's the thing - you don't have to recruit Texas - just one metro area:  DFW or Houston.   Plenty of talent to poach.

They are both like Atlanta - rich in talent and easier to get around (Ok that may be a lie, but don't tell Gus).   

Who do I have to call to make this happen?  Allen?  

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This is incorrect. We are taking Flax to replace Buskey due to grades & because Big Z won't be ready til the Fall. We would have taken both Flax & Cohen had Cohen not play his games.

We have known we were doing that for a while. Just let me believe this is a good sign on Jones, willya? 😀

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Will the numbers allow us to take Busky in some form?  

Gray shirt?

take and redshirt?

@Beaker If the staff isn't confident he will qualify they will let him go or not send him papers to sign. Taking him would not be a numbers issue. Can't gray shirt or redshirt if he is not qualified.